Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recapturing the "spark"

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

(Crossposted)

Here I am, considering a hiatus from diablo 2 to maybe (read: hopefully)
recharge my enthusiasm for making new characters. While there are a few
things I'd like to experiment with (especially in light of some of the
interesting new runewords), the idea of trudging through the quests a few more
times just doesn't inspire me right now, and I don't really like rushing
characters. And while I can hack up the designs in single player using an
editor, it's just not really the same as actually doing it for real, which
leaves me kind of stuck. My last two attempted "starts" got as far as level
11 and 24 respectively, before I basically lost all interest in going on.

So, a question... for those still battling on with diablo 2, how do you keep
the magic alive, as it were. While I know some favour hardcore mode as a way
to refuel interest, or no twink play, neither has really "cranked my tractor"
in past times, but there has to be something else. In light of the fact that
I actually want to end up with developed characters at the end of things, with
specific builds and gear that I already have in mind (USWest SCL), I know
where I want to go, it's *getting* there is the real problem. What I was
thinking about was perhaps twinking the new recruits up with as much gold as
they can carry, and have them push through normal difficulty using throwing
potions, or maybe an insanely twinked out rogue merc, while I kit with chance
to cast items or whatever, and cheer her on while I read a book, or something.

The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the desire
returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month or whatever, but
is there another way that people employ to keep things interesting?

More about : recapturing spark

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham schrieb:
> (Crossposted)
>
> Here I am, considering a hiatus from diablo 2 to maybe (read: hopefully)
> recharge my enthusiasm for making new characters. While there are a few
> things I'd like to experiment with (especially in light of some of the
> interesting new runewords), the idea of trudging through the quests a few more
> times just doesn't inspire me right now, and I don't really like rushing
> characters. And while I can hack up the designs in single player using an
> editor, it's just not really the same as actually doing it for real, which
> leaves me kind of stuck. My last two attempted "starts" got as far as level
> 11 and 24 respectively, before I basically lost all interest in going on.
>
> So, a question... for those still battling on with diablo 2, how do you keep
> the magic alive, as it were. While I know some favour hardcore mode as a way
> to refuel interest, or no twink play, neither has really "cranked my tractor"
> in past times, but there has to be something else. In light of the fact that
> I actually want to end up with developed characters at the end of things, with
> specific builds and gear that I already have in mind (USWest SCL), I know
> where I want to go, it's *getting* there is the real problem. What I was
> thinking about was perhaps twinking the new recruits up with as much gold as
> they can carry, and have them push through normal difficulty using throwing
> potions, or maybe an insanely twinked out rogue merc, while I kit with chance
> to cast items or whatever, and cheer her on while I read a book, or something.

I went through different stages for the same reason. At times, I started
all my characters the Ironman style and twinked them when I hit a wall.
These days, I join a mule parking game with by newbie and my
Enchantress, party up and try to beat normal difficulty in less than 3
hours (with the twinked newbie of course, providing just Enchant and a
waypoint now and then).

But most fun is still to write an invitation to the group for a starter
session with some crazy idea for the party. Which reminds me that I
should do that more often ;) .

---
Hannes
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the
> desire returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month
> or whatever, but is there another way that people employ to keep
> things interesting?

You might try fooling around with a mod or two.

But the sabbatical is probably best. Only problem is, you never know how
long it'll last. I previously went through two, one of them almost 5
months. I'd play other games during the "off" times, usually find them
lacking in comparison to D2, and come back with renewed interest.

This third one, I dunno. I've pretty well done just about everything in the
game that interests me at all, and find nothing in these new rune words
particularly alluring.

Besides, since I can see a lot of the Diablo ancestry in WoW, I'm not really
sure I'm *not* still playing. :-)

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

treat it as you would your relationship with a significant other.

You've been together a long time, so you've fallen into a rut. The magic is
gone. Oh, the love is still there, and always will be, but if you don't
both put some work into keeping it fresh, well, I worry you might end up in
divorce. My advice to you is to start getting a wee bit naughty.

I'm talking about "toys". Pick a weapon, any weapon, and build a character
around it. Even if it's a high level weapon, start a character geared
specifically to use it, even if it might take you weeks to be leveled enough
to appreciate it fully.

Try it in new locations. Go to those places that everyone skips. Those
passages, caverns, and red-portaled locations where nobody does it anymore.
It's fun, it's profitable.

In short, it's up to you whether this relationship has hit the skids, or
will carry you over into your golden years...


Anex.......Explodeazon, oh and try some scented oils. NO! NOT ON THE GAME!




"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:fsfqr01vvlkie2n1hd0i84mvndbde7n209@4ax.com...
>
> (Crossposted)
>
> Here I am, considering a hiatus from diablo 2 to maybe (read: hopefully)
> recharge my enthusiasm for making new characters. While there are a few
> things I'd like to experiment with (especially in light of some of the
> interesting new runewords), the idea of trudging through the quests a few
> more
> times just doesn't inspire me right now, and I don't really like rushing
> characters. And while I can hack up the designs in single player using
> an
> editor, it's just not really the same as actually doing it for real, which
> leaves me kind of stuck. My last two attempted "starts" got as far as
> level
> 11 and 24 respectively, before I basically lost all interest in going on.
>
> So, a question... for those still battling on with diablo 2, how do you
> keep
> the magic alive, as it were. While I know some favour hardcore mode as a
> way
> to refuel interest, or no twink play, neither has really "cranked my
> tractor"
> in past times, but there has to be something else. In light of the fact
> that
> I actually want to end up with developed characters at the end of things,
> with
> specific builds and gear that I already have in mind (USWest SCL), I know
> where I want to go, it's *getting* there is the real problem. What I was
> thinking about was perhaps twinking the new recruits up with as much gold
> as
> they can carry, and have them push through normal difficulty using
> throwing
> potions, or maybe an insanely twinked out rogue merc, while I kit with
> chance
> to cast items or whatever, and cheer her on while I read a book, or
> something.
>
> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the
> desire
> returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month or whatever,
> but
> is there another way that people employ to keep things interesting?
>
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

chainbreaker wrote:

> I'm about like MV in wishing that we could all simultaneously transfer our
> interests to something else just as interesting to keep the community--and
> I'm grouping agd/agd2 here, since I feel like for the most part the
> differences aren't worth much more than spit in a bucket any more--we've
> built alive.

Yes, that's always been my wish. I think WoW has the potential to
achieve that, since it appears to be the closest to the D3 that never
happened. But not only is there the monthly fee, but also Blizzard's
geographical restrictions. These may be loosened once the European
version is out, but it's still uncertain.

Like I said in one of my emails, Blizzard's lack of understanding when
it comes to community development is mindboggling.

M.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:

> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the desire
> returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month or whatever, but
> is there another way that people employ to keep things interesting?

A hauntingly familiar question! Well, I don't have an answer. The first
time my interest in the game waned, I could revive it by switching over
to HC. That was probably my best D2 time ever. The second time I was
pulled back by the start of a new season. And lastly, the third time I
got out of a "D2 hole" was when I started some stress-free SP builds and
began to work on my SP items (ATMA) collection. I still play SP every
once in a while, but the pull's gone right now. D2 feels a lot like old,
comfy house slippers to me, so it's doubtful that I'll completely stop
playing. I do have WoW (Europe) on pre-oreder for January, so, I'll see
how that goes. It might just be the spiritual successor, though it
appears to be too easy to achieve that state.

M.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:16:27 +1300, Stephen van Ham
<svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>So, a question... for those still battling on with diablo 2, how do you keep
>the magic alive, as it were.

Maybe try to think about the kinds of things that engaged your
enthusiasm in the past. What kind of challenge do you like?

>While I know some favour hardcore mode as a way
>to refuel interest, or no twink play, neither has really "cranked my tractor"
>in past times, but there has to be something else. In light of the fact that
>I actually want to end up with developed characters at the end of things, with
>specific builds and gear that I already have in mind (USWest SCL), I know
>where I want to go, it's *getting* there is the real problem. What I was
>thinking about was perhaps twinking the new recruits up with as much gold as
>they can carry, and have them push through normal difficulty using throwing
>potions,

Twinked or not, I usually start new chars by just throwing the best
knives, javs, etc. they find, unless I give them a gemmed bow. It's
almost always far faster to kill that way than by using the early
skills or other weapons. For twinked builds, I also have a mule
holding only all-purpose starter gear: nice items with low
requirements like zerker, Hsarus', Cleglaw's, Arctic, a gemmed bow for
the rogue, etc. This gets me into A4 quickly and easily. I find the
most tedious part is leveling to 25 so I can level smoothly past A4.

>or maybe an insanely twinked out rogue merc, while I kit with chance
>to cast items or whatever, and cheer her on while I read a book, or something.

IMO, trying to level young mercs, however twinked, gives new meaning
to the word, "tedium."

>The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the desire
>returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month or whatever, but
>is there another way that people employ to keep things interesting?

Well, I can't get interested in SC, but there are always new projects
I want to try in HC: untwinked, ironman, SP, etc. Right now I'm
working on building a full stable of ladder guardians in one account.
Next ladder, I might try to do it all untwinked. I still haven't made
a single SP guardian in 1.10.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:16:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de> wrote:

[snip]
>But most fun is still to write an invitation to the group for a starter
>session with some crazy idea for the party. Which reminds me that I
>should do that more often ;) .

Yes please! :D 

What about a "golem only" party, or has this one already been
realized? 8 players each with 9 to 12 skellies would be a mess on the
screen I think, but if the necros are limited to golems and maybe
revives (due to their limited life span)... hm?


J:
NP: -
--
http://here.is/ripley/ *4therecords.HCEurope
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:45:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:fsfqr01vvlkie2n1hd0i84mvndbde7n209@4ax.com...
>
> (Crossposted)
>
> Here I am, considering a hiatus from diablo 2 to maybe (read: hopefully)
> recharge my enthusiasm for making new characters. While there are a few
> things I'd like to experiment with (especially in light of some of the
> interesting new runewords), the idea of trudging through the quests a few
> more
> times just doesn't inspire me right now, and I don't really like rushing
> characters. And while I can hack up the designs in single player using
> an
> editor, it's just not really the same as actually doing it for real, which
> leaves me kind of stuck. My last two attempted "starts" got as far as
> level
> 11 and 24 respectively, before I basically lost all interest in going on.
>
> So, a question... for those still battling on with diablo 2, how do you
> keep
> the magic alive, as it were.

Hehehehe.

Knowing what you do for a living, this is a very funny post. Perhaps if you
picture D2 as your spouse...

The answer is simple though. I kept interested by building kooky stuff. This
got me to the point I'm at now, where I want to try certain cookie cutter
stuff in order to get gear to try MORE kooky stuff. If you're at a loss for
weird stuff to try, I can certainly help you there.


--
CLans, Jabber, Whatever
Who's Da Bitch NOW
Someone should put up a sign, or something
(Remove your clothes to email)
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:44:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Chris Lansdell" <clansdell@your.nf.clothes.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:D Qpvd.195242$Np3.8025425@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>
> "Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:fsfqr01vvlkie2n1hd0i84mvndbde7n209@4ax.com...
>>
>> (Crossposted)
>>
>> Here I am, considering a hiatus from diablo 2 to maybe (read: hopefully)
>> recharge my enthusiasm for making new characters. While there are a few
>> things I'd like to experiment with (especially in light of some of the
>> interesting new runewords), the idea of trudging through the quests a few
>> more
>> times just doesn't inspire me right now, and I don't really like rushing
>> characters. And while I can hack up the designs in single player using
>> an
>> editor, it's just not really the same as actually doing it for real,
>> which
>> leaves me kind of stuck. My last two attempted "starts" got as far as
>> level
>> 11 and 24 respectively, before I basically lost all interest in going on.
>>
>> So, a question... for those still battling on with diablo 2, how do you
>> keep
>> the magic alive, as it were.
>
> Hehehehe.
>
> Knowing what you do for a living, this is a very funny post. Perhaps if
> you picture D2 as your spouse...
>
> The answer is simple though. I kept interested by building kooky stuff.
> This got me to the point I'm at now, where I want to try certain cookie
> cutter stuff in order to get gear to try MORE kooky stuff. If you're at a
> loss for weird stuff to try, I can certainly help you there.
>
>
> --
> CLans, Jabber, Whatever
> Who's Da Bitch NOW
> Someone should put up a sign, or something
> (Remove your clothes to email)
>

I've lost interest in playing now for about the past month or so. I suppose
there may be many contributing factors for this.

One.....I've died more times this season than the past 2 combined.

Two....I now have a significant other in my life that I feel deserves my
attention more than this game.

Three My job doesn't afford me the kind of time I am accustomed to in order
to build characters to my satisfaction..

Three and a half....because of this....I am not able to play with the few
friends I have online at the same time...which brings me to.....

Four.....I prefer to play with other people rather than by myself....hence
which brings up the issues regarding public games. I don't feel comfortable
going into public games because of the pker's.....and the hacks many of them
use.

Lastly....those new runewords ....in my opionion...is Blizzard's way of
trying to keep people interested in this game. However unattainable many of
them are to most people. (especially myself)

I'm am still relatively young......at the age of 32....but....why spend time
trying to learn a new game like WoW (which obviously would take up a
considerable amount of my time...not to mention having to pay monthly just
to play it) if I cannot invest the time into a game which has become stale
for me?

Just my thoughts

Regards,

Sushi
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:48:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

My my, doesn't "u" <u@mail.com> look good in that trenchcoat:

>treat it as you would your relationship with a significant other.

>You've been together a long time, so you've fallen into a rut. The magic is
>gone. Oh, the love is still there, and always will be, but if you don't
>both put some work into keeping it fresh, well, I worry you might end up in
>divorce. My advice to you is to start getting a wee bit naughty.

>I'm talking about "toys". Pick a weapon, any weapon, and build a character
>around it. Even if it's a high level weapon, start a character geared
>specifically to use it, even if it might take you weeks to be leveled enough
>to appreciate it fully.

Teehee.

>Try it in new locations. Go to those places that everyone skips. Those
>passages, caverns, and red-portaled locations where nobody does it anymore.
>It's fun, it's profitable.

A couple of good suggestions, but I'm just feeling like I've wrung the life
out of the game, for now, or at least reached a point where by gaming hands
have wringed so much that they're all weak and shaky and can't wring no more.
At last count, I had 54 characters in the level 75-97 range, mostly just built
up by doing all the quests and going to all the places that most don't (many
an hour spent getting lost in act 3, etc), lots of leveling up in small games,
minimal amount of power leveling, etc.

>In short, it's up to you whether this relationship has hit the skids, or
>will carry you over into your golden years...

Hmmm, two mentions of short in this thread. Might be something in that...

>Anex.......Explodeazon, oh and try some scented oils. NO! NOT ON THE GAME!

How bout some scented throwing potions? Would that do?
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:54:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

My my, doesn't "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> look good in that
trenchcoat:

>Stephen van Ham wrote:
>> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the
>> desire returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month
>> or whatever, but is there another way that people employ to keep
>> things interesting?

>You might try fooling around with a mod or two.

I've had a fool around with a few, already, but they simply don't sustain my
interest, now.

The *main* problem I have with mods... is the quests, since they're the same
as the ones in "vanilla" LOD. Sure, they add more stuff (and as I've
mentioned, new stuff *is* good), it's primarily the fact that I'm doing the
same old quests again that lessens the appeal. Combine this with the fact
that I end up playing solo with mods, which never holds my interest these days
anyway.

What I really need is a way to do the quests, without actually doing them, and
without rushing.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:54:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> My my, doesn't "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> look good in that
> trenchcoat:
>
>> Stephen van Ham wrote:
>>> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the
>>> desire returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month
>>> or whatever, but is there another way that people employ to keep
>>> things interesting?
>
>> You might try fooling around with a mod or two.
>
> I've had a fool around with a few, already, but they simply don't
> sustain my interest, now.
>
> The *main* problem I have with mods... is the quests, since they're
> the same as the ones in "vanilla" LOD. Sure, they add more stuff
> (and as I've mentioned, new stuff *is* good), it's primarily the fact
> that I'm doing the same old quests again that lessens the appeal.
> Combine this with the fact that I end up playing solo with mods,
> which never holds my interest these days anyway.
>
> What I really need is a way to do the quests, without actually doing
> them, and without rushing.


What I started to add in the original post, but didn't, was that every mod
I've played eventually caused me to refire the "original" game to compare,
which ultimately initiated a playing spree that made me appreciate just how
"right" the original game is. :-)
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:58:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

My my, doesn't royls@telus.net look good in that trenchcoat:

>Maybe try to think about the kinds of things that engaged your
>enthusiasm in the past. What kind of challenge do you like?

It's interesting, because I'm not interested in diablo for challenge, I'm
interested in the variety. So while I'll play variants, or no twink, or
hardcore, or friendly fire, or ironman, or whatever, it's not to make the game
more interesting by making it harder (sure, it helps a little, but it's not
the *main* factor), it's for the variety. And once the variety has been
tapped...

I dunno, maybe the only solution *is* to stop playing.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:00:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

My my, doesn't Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de> look good in that trenchcoat:

>I went through different stages for the same reason. At times, I started
>all my characters the Ironman style and twinked them when I hit a wall.
>These days, I join a mule parking game with by newbie and my
>Enchantress, party up and try to beat normal difficulty in less than 3
>hours (with the twinked newbie of course, providing just Enchant and a
>waypoint now and then).

Yes, but that still feels like rushing, to me.

>But most fun is still to write an invitation to the group for a starter
>session with some crazy idea for the party. Which reminds me that I
>should do that more often ;) .

True, true. I might just have to accept the fact that I've played way more
than I should have already, and hang up the boots.
December 14, 2004 4:09:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Chris Lansdell" <clansdell@your.nf.clothes.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:D Qpvd.195242$Np3.8025425@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>
> "Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:fsfqr01vvlkie2n1hd0i84mvndbde7n209@4ax.com...
> >
> > (Crossposted)
> >
> > Here I am, considering a hiatus from diablo 2 to maybe (read: hopefully)
> > recharge my enthusiasm for making new characters. While there are a
few
> > things I'd like to experiment with (especially in light of some of the
> > interesting new runewords), the idea of trudging through the quests a
few
> > more
> > times just doesn't inspire me right now, and I don't really like rushing
> > characters. And while I can hack up the designs in single player using
> > an
> > editor, it's just not really the same as actually doing it for real,
which
> > leaves me kind of stuck. My last two attempted "starts" got as far as
> > level
> > 11 and 24 respectively, before I basically lost all interest in going
on.
> >
> > So, a question... for those still battling on with diablo 2, how do you
> > keep
> > the magic alive, as it were.
>
> Hehehehe.
>
> Knowing what you do for a living, this is a very funny post. Perhaps if
you
> picture D2 as your spouse...

Lol, that post was a joke.
December 15, 2004 1:21:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Alice wrote:
>
> Same as my other post. Sorry if it gets double (or triple) posted.
> Been getting errors trying to post this.

You're up to four now. :-)

desktop at home dot se
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:21:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Desktop wrote:
> Alice wrote:
>>
>> Same as my other post. Sorry if it gets double (or triple) posted.
>> Been getting errors trying to post this.
>
> You're up to four now. :-)
>
> desktop at home dot se

Is that a record?

For unintentional repeats, I mean. :D 

--
chainbreaker
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:37:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:17:43 +0100, Michael Vondung
<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the desire
>> returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month or whatever, but
>> is there another way that people employ to keep things interesting?

What's kept me playing is item lust. I like to collect items. I have
all the set items and have almost finished with all the uniques. Then
I'll work on all the rune words. Of course, I like to trade items so
that makes these tasks a lot easier. In fact, without trading, I
believe it would be virtually impossible, considering that in all the
years I've been playing the only uber runes I've ever found are a Vex
and Lo.

I do a fair amount of MFing, but I do a lot of different areas, so it
won't get boring.

I've also been playing some untwinked characters which forced me to
rediscover things that I hadn't done in years. Ah, the joy of finding
an Amn Rune.
December 15, 2004 1:43:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Desktop wrote:
> Alice wrote:
>>
>> Same as my other post. Sorry if it gets double (or triple) posted.
>> Been getting errors trying to post this.
>
> You're up to four now. :-)

I spoke too soon, it's five. This could be an interesting evening. :-) Yes,
I'm bored.

desktop at home dot se
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:43:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Desktop wrote:
> Desktop wrote:
>> Alice wrote:
>>>
>>> Same as my other post. Sorry if it gets double (or triple) posted.
>>> Been getting errors trying to post this.
>>
>> You're up to four now. :-)
>
> I spoke too soon, it's five. This could be an interesting evening.
> :-) Yes, I'm bored.
>
> desktop at home dot se

Maybe she is, too.

--
chainbreaker
December 15, 2004 1:57:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

chainbreaker wrote:
> Desktop wrote:
>> Alice wrote:
>>>
>>> Same as my other post. Sorry if it gets double (or triple) posted.
>>> Been getting errors trying to post this.
>>
>> You're up to four now. :-)
>>
>> desktop at home dot se
>
> Is that a record?
>
> For unintentional repeats, I mean. :D 

She just broke her own record with five posts, four of which were
unintended. Or perhaps she thinks Stephen is a tad slow?

desktop at home dot se
December 15, 2004 2:47:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> (Crossposted)

[...]

> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the
> desire returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month
> or whatever, but is there another way that people employ to keep
> things interesting?

I only know you through these forums, but you strike me as an honest player.
You're one of the good guys on the realms. Perhaps it's time to sample life
on the dark side? Start off by downloading all sorts of hacks. Dupe your way
to the godliest possible equipment and join an AGD game. Try to be as rude
and disruptive as possible. Grab all the ears you can and brag about it
here.

desktop at home dot se
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 4:05:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

It was a time of great turmoil. The strong preyed on the weak, dogs
and cats lived together. One voice cried out in the wilderness:
Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in
<fsfqr01vvlkie2n1hd0i84mvndbde7n209@4ax.com>:

>
> (Crossposted)
>
> Here I am, considering a hiatus from diablo 2 to maybe (read: hopefully)
> recharge my enthusiasm for making new characters. While there are a few
> things I'd like to experiment with (especially in light of some of the
> interesting new runewords), the idea of trudging through the quests a few more
> times just doesn't inspire me right now, and I don't really like rushing
> characters. And while I can hack up the designs in single player using an
> editor, it's just not really the same as actually doing it for real, which
> leaves me kind of stuck. My last two attempted "starts" got as far as level
> 11 and 24 respectively, before I basically lost all interest in going on.
>
> So, a question... for those still battling on with diablo 2, how do you keep
> the magic alive, as it were.

For my part, I simply don't play Diablo II that much. Sure I'll
occasionally pull a two or three hour bender but for the most part, I
usually play for less than an hour a day. I have about two dozen
characters and I play a different character every day, taking it from
one waypoint to the next. It's a pretty wide variety of characters so
my playing style changes almost every day. Today, I was taking a
beekeeper sorceress through The Maggot Lair. Yesterday, it was bowazon
working her way through the Jail. The day before that I had a
Necromancer working his way to the Inner Cloister. The drawback to
this style of play is that it's pretty slow. I don't think I've ever
taken a character into Hell, in part because I tend to start over with
new characters every time an upgrade comes out.

I usually play single character and for me, sometimes it's interesting
to create a bunch of new characters and see how some develop faster
than others. I like to take my time and explore areas to get a feel
about what sort of character I'm playing, put my self in their shoes
and wonder what they would think if they were real. Think of it as an
RPG or fanfic style of play.

--
"Fate is like a caged gorilla. If you mock it, it
will pelt you with dung."
-- Warriv

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
http://www.freewebs.com/robertocastillo/
December 15, 2004 8:28:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:02:25 -0500, "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Desktop wrote:
>> Desktop wrote:
>>> Alice wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Same as my other post. Sorry if it gets double (or triple) posted.
>>>> Been getting errors trying to post this.
>>>
>>> You're up to four now. :-)
>>
>> I spoke too soon, it's five. This could be an interesting evening.
>> :-) Yes, I'm bored.
>>
>> desktop at home dot se
>
>Maybe she is, too.

And the weird thing is, I can't see *any* of them. Methinks my
newsfeed has decided she's spamming.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 11:55:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:p 8srr0ls35r2kv9v07gdm17fcfr8vfli9e@4ax.com...
> My my, doesn't "u" <u@mail.com> look good in that trenchcoat:
>
> >treat it as you would your relationship with a significant other.
>
> >You've been together a long time, so you've fallen into a rut. The magic
is
> >gone. Oh, the love is still there, and always will be, but if you don't
> >both put some work into keeping it fresh, well, I worry you might end up
in
> >divorce. My advice to you is to start getting a wee bit naughty.
>
> >I'm talking about "toys". Pick a weapon, any weapon, and build a
character
> >around it. Even if it's a high level weapon, start a character geared
> >specifically to use it, even if it might take you weeks to be leveled
enough
> >to appreciate it fully.
>
> Teehee.
>
> >Try it in new locations. Go to those places that everyone skips. Those
> >passages, caverns, and red-portaled locations where nobody does it
anymore.
> >It's fun, it's profitable.
>
> A couple of good suggestions, but I'm just feeling like I've wrung the
life
> out of the game, for now, or at least reached a point where by gaming
hands
> have wringed so much that they're all weak and shaky and can't wring no
more.
> At last count, I had 54 characters in the level 75-97 range, mostly just
built
> up by doing all the quests and going to all the places that most don't
(many
> an hour spent getting lost in act 3, etc), lots of leveling up in small
games,
> minimal amount of power leveling, etc.
>
> >In short, it's up to you whether this relationship has hit the skids, or
> >will carry you over into your golden years...
>
> Hmmm, two mentions of short in this thread. Might be something in
that...
>
I was starting to wonder about that too, and I hadn't even replied yet!!!

short
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 3:59:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:fsfqr01vvlkie2n1hd0i84mvndbde7n209@4ax.com...
>
> (Crossposted)
>
> Here I am, considering a hiatus from diablo 2 to maybe (read: hopefully)
> recharge my enthusiasm for making new characters. While there are a few
> things I'd like to experiment with (especially in light of some of the
> interesting new runewords), the idea of trudging through the quests a few
more
> times just doesn't inspire me right now, and I don't really like rushing
> characters. And while I can hack up the designs in single player using
an
> editor, it's just not really the same as actually doing it for real, which
> leaves me kind of stuck. My last two attempted "starts" got as far as
level
> 11 and 24 respectively, before I basically lost all interest in going on.
>
> So, a question... for those still battling on with diablo 2, how do you
keep
> the magic alive, as it were. While I know some favour hardcore mode as a
way
> to refuel interest, or no twink play, neither has really "cranked my
tractor"
> in past times, but there has to be something else. In light of the fact
that
> I actually want to end up with developed characters at the end of things,
with
> specific builds and gear that I already have in mind (USWest SCL), I know
> where I want to go, it's *getting* there is the real problem. What I was
> thinking about was perhaps twinking the new recruits up with as much gold
as
> they can carry, and have them push through normal difficulty using
throwing
> potions, or maybe an insanely twinked out rogue merc, while I kit with
chance
> to cast items or whatever, and cheer her on while I read a book, or
something.
>
> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the
desire
> returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month or whatever,
but
> is there another way that people employ to keep things interesting?
>

Heh, I don't know about the spark, but trading for an Eaglehorn yesterday
seemed to help a bit. Now I just need 50 levels or so and I'll be able to
use it :( 

I seem to run out of steam for characters around lvl 75 or so, and want to
start more. My problem now is finding new characters to try that I haven't
done before, or haven't done in a long time. I'm like you though, trudging
through normal is a huge pain in the ass, and I'd rather skip right to 45 or
so and star there.

I really only play D2 anymore for the MP aspect of it, and because I haven't
found another game that can keep my interest for very long.

However, I just installed Splinter Cell, Soldier of Fortune, Quake, Hitman,
Hitman2, and Neverwinter Nights on my Laptop so I'll be trying these for
awhile too. Now the only problem is that the guy that gave me NWN
apparently gave me the wrong CD key or something (he didn't have the
boxnstuff anymore, but he had it written down. It will accept the CD key to
install, but when I fired up the game it rejected it. BAH!!


short
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 3:59:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

My my, doesn't "Desktop" <desktop@home.sweden> look good in that trenchcoat:

>> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the
>> desire returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month
>> or whatever, but is there another way that people employ to keep
>> things interesting?

>I only know you through these forums, but you strike me as an honest player.
>You're one of the good guys on the realms. Perhaps it's time to sample life
>on the dark side? Start off by downloading all sorts of hacks. Dupe your way
>to the godliest possible equipment and join an AGD game. Try to be as rude
>and disruptive as possible. Grab all the ears you can and brag about it
>here.

Yeah! That's actually not a bad idea. Alternatively, I'll start up a world
of warcraft character, and blunder around while begging for starter gear and
asking newbie questions like, 'How do I cast spells?', and doing things
dragging monsters back to snack on my party mates. You know, just generally
making a nuisance of myself. I mean, it's all the same, right?
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 6:54:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <fsfqr01vvlkie2n1hd0i84mvndbde7n209@4ax.com>,
Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the desire
>returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month or whatever, but
>is there another way that people employ to keep things interesting?

No.
Hehe. I don't really know. But I've lost interest. All of my new
chars since the last ladder reset have made it to about level 8 before I
got bored and went to go do dishes.
For me, I don't think I'm going to regain an interest. I pop on-line
occasionally to refresh my past ladder chars, but any attempt at playing
gets too boring too quickly. I had fun with Nez, but after it developed
some stability problems for me I lost interest so quickly it was obvious
I was just barely interested.
I think my big problem is that it's become so hard for me to find a
good group to quest with. The folks I like to chat with progress so
rapidly that when I vanish for a few days I fall hopelessly behind. The
people I can keep up with, OTOH, generally don't chat much in-game and
the game itself isn't all that interesting anymore. Back when I could
reliably piss away a few hours each day it was easier to keep up.

--
B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail dot net
http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
December 16, 2004 2:20:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> My my, doesn't "Desktop" <desktop@home.sweden> look good in that
> trenchcoat:
>
>>> The obvious way seems to simply stop playing for a bit, and hope the
>>> desire returns, and maybe sign up for world of warcraft for a month
>>> or whatever, but is there another way that people employ to keep
>>> things interesting?
>
>> I only know you through these forums, but you strike me as an honest
>> player. You're one of the good guys on the realms. Perhaps it's time
>> to sample life on the dark side? Start off by downloading all sorts
>> of hacks. Dupe your way to the godliest possible equipment and join
>> an AGD game. Try to be as rude and disruptive as possible. Grab all
>> the ears you can and brag about it here.
>
> Yeah! That's actually not a bad idea. Alternatively, I'll start
> up a world of warcraft character, and blunder around while begging
> for starter gear and asking newbie questions like, 'How do I cast
> spells?', and doing things dragging monsters back to snack on my
> party mates. You know, just generally making a nuisance of myself.
> I mean, it's all the same, right?

Some people would say that feeding the monsters is an act of great
generosity.

desktop at home dot se
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 8:50:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:

> Ah well, I've decided to pull the "desperate times, desperate measures" card,
> and thus have world of warcraft on order, which, while currently sold out,
> final pre-xmas shipment is expected in today. I think I'll start with a
> paladin... maybe a month or so horsing around in the world of pay to play
> will help me recapture that old D2 spark.

Heya Stephen, can you join US servers once you get WoW, or will you be stuck
on down-under ones? I've been thinkin' about maybe giving it a try, meself-
would be cool to join some old friends again, for some all-new adventures...
-Marshall
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:20:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

My my, doesn't Marshall <marshall@nospam.com> look good in that trenchcoat:

>Heya Stephen, can you join US servers once you get WoW, or will you be stuck
>on down-under ones? I've been thinkin' about maybe giving it a try, meself-
>would be cool to join some old friends again, for some all-new adventures...

I'll let you know in a couple of days.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:20:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:

> My my, doesn't Marshall <marshall@nospam.com> look good in that trenchcoat:
>
>
>>Heya Stephen, can you join US servers once you get WoW, or will you be stuck
>>on down-under ones? I've been thinkin' about maybe giving it a try, meself-
>>would be cool to join some old friends again, for some all-new adventures...
>
>
> I'll let you know in a couple of days.

Looking forward to hearing about it...
-Marshall
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:20:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:

> My my, doesn't Marshall <marshall@nospam.com> look good in that trenchcoat:
>
>
>>Heya Stephen, can you join US servers once you get WoW, or will you be stuck
>>on down-under ones? I've been thinkin' about maybe giving it a try, meself-
>>would be cool to join some old friends again, for some all-new adventures...
>
>
> I'll let you know in a couple of days.
>

yeah here too (currently installing Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude,
damn I'm bored these days...)
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 1:48:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

My my, doesn't Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> look good in that
trenchcoat:

>>>Heya Stephen, can you join US servers once you get WoW, or will you be stuck
>>>on down-under ones? I've been thinkin' about maybe giving it a try, meself-
>>>would be cool to join some old friends again, for some all-new adventures...

>> I'll let you know in a couple of days.

>yeah here too (currently installing Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude,
>damn I'm bored these days...)

Assuming we *can* all hook up on a common server, how are we going to decide
which one? I see there's about 80-90 servers, now. Do it on a first in,
first served basis? (i.e. we play on whatever the first agd/agd2'er who got
WoW first already plays on), or just pick the one with the coolest sounding
name?
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 1:48:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:

> My my, doesn't Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> look good in that
> trenchcoat:
>
>
>>>>Heya Stephen, can you join US servers once you get WoW, or will you be stuck
>>>>on down-under ones? I've been thinkin' about maybe giving it a try, meself-
>>>>would be cool to join some old friends again, for some all-new adventures...
>
>
>>>I'll let you know in a couple of days.
>
>
>>yeah here too (currently installing Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude,
>>damn I'm bored these days...)
>
>
> Assuming we *can* all hook up on a common server, how are we going to decide
> which one? I see there's about 80-90 servers, now. Do it on a first in,
> first served basis? (i.e. we play on whatever the first agd/agd2'er who got
> WoW first already plays on), or just pick the one with the coolest sounding
> name?
>

I don't know - I doubt european players will be able to reach american
servers right on the release date, if this is ever made possible :|

Having never played a MMORPG, and being a bit frightened by the
gameplay, I somehow feel the urge to protect my future WoW investment by
at least playing on a RPG server, for the fun of it. I don't know where
the current wow players from agd/2 are at the moment.

(maybe I should pre-order my copy, too?)
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 1:48:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> My my, doesn't Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> look good in that
> trenchcoat:
>
>
>>>>Heya Stephen, can you join US servers once you get WoW, or will you be stuck
>>>>on down-under ones? I've been thinkin' about maybe giving it a try, meself-
>>>>would be cool to join some old friends again, for some all-new adventures...
>
>
>>>I'll let you know in a couple of days.
>
>
>>yeah here too (currently installing Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude,
>>damn I'm bored these days...)
>
>
> Assuming we *can* all hook up on a common server, how are we going to decide
> which one? I see there's about 80-90 servers, now. Do it on a first in,
> first served basis? (i.e. we play on whatever the first agd/agd2'er who got
> WoW first already plays on), or just pick the one with the coolest sounding
> name?

Assuming you can get into US servers, pick one in the Pacific Standard time
zone that has the best ping for you. I'll join you on that one. Been reading
up just a little on the Blizzard WoW site, and although it's starting to really
pique my interest, it's also raised far more questions than the available
(and rather skimpy) answer-pool on there could handle. Is there an equivalent
to the 'Arreat Summit', for WoW? With all the fine details and info on specific
game minutiae, etc.?

Can you only play one char, period? What if you want to try another type? Do you
have to delete your existing char and create a new one? Can you even *do* that?
Or are you stuck with just that one for eternity, or until you max it out in levels
and exp? Wouldn't think so, but I didn't see this mentioned in the parts I read.
And the list goes on... too many questions to remember. CRS is a delightful
thing :-)

Oh, Stephen- presuming you've studied up a little bit already, what type of server
looks good to you? 'Normal'? 'Player vs. Environment'? 'PvP'? (*gasp* ;)  ). Or is
PvE actually 'Normal' mode? My readings didn't clarify that. On PvE servers, you
can ally on quests with any race in Horde or Alliance, whereas some servers will
only let you join and quest with your four 'friendly' races. That would seem rather
limiting, to me. I think I'd prefer PvE for starters, particularly on a server that
prevented the dreaded 'I'm gonna PvP yer ass whether you want to or not!' syn-
drome. That's one piece of Diablo2 that I won't miss one iota.

I read up a bit on 'Roleplaying' mode, and although it sounded interesting, I'd have
a real hard time not getting warned or expelled for breaking the 'in character' boun-
daries before very long, with my terminally irreverant sense of humor ;-)
-Marshall
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 2:22:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

My my, doesn't Babe Bridou <babebridou@hotmail.com> look good in that
trenchcoat:

>> Assuming we *can* all hook up on a common server, how are we going to decide
>> which one? I see there's about 80-90 servers, now. Do it on a first in,
>> first served basis? (i.e. we play on whatever the first agd/agd2'er who got
>> WoW first already plays on), or just pick the one with the coolest sounding
>> name?

>I don't know - I doubt european players will be able to reach american
>servers right on the release date, if this is ever made possible :|

It's all very odd, indeed.

>Having never played a MMORPG, and being a bit frightened by the
>gameplay, I somehow feel the urge to protect my future WoW investment by
>at least playing on a RPG server, for the fun of it. I don't know where
>the current wow players from agd/2 are at the moment.

What I have noted down is:

Chainbreaker - Llane (East)
Paul Brinkley - Gilneas (East)
u - ?

And that's about it.

short will, of course, go on whatever server we tell him to, but he'll be afk
the whole time anyway, other than to check his mailbox for new items.

I haven't really played MMORPGs much either, other than a couple of light
dabbles with the original EverCrack a few years ago, and those Guild Wars
trial weekends recently. But I'm sure we'll do just fine.

>(maybe I should pre-order my copy, too?)

Silly hamster forgot to select the "Saturday delivery" option when he
preordered, else he'd probably be playing right now...
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 3:42:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

My my, doesn't Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> look good in that
trenchcoat:

>Silly hamster forgot to select the "Saturday delivery" option when he
>preordered, else he'd probably be playing right now...

Okay, so it's Saturday, and it's here anyway.

Installing now (albeit slowly)...
!