thefinal

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004

Hello
I have been PK'ed for the theird time, and seemly the same way (yes I
didnt learn)
But it is hard to take precautions to this type.

No town portal, but hostile + kill within seconds.....

Any way to avoid stuff like tHis ? (other than playing alone/with freinds)
?

TheFinal, Europe, HC

TheFinal@sol.dk wrote:
> Hello
> I have been PK'ed for the theird time, and seemly the same way (yes I
> didnt learn)
> But it is hard to take precautions to this type.
>
> No town portal, but hostile + kill within seconds.....
>
> Any way to avoid stuff like tHis ? (other than playing alone/with
> freinds) ?
>
> TheFinal, Europe, HC

Well, you need to become very proficient in keeping very close tabs on the
other players in the game--and stay away from suspicious character types
such as any that are much higher in level than you, and types known for
TPPKing, such as necs.

Maintaining this high awareness level should keep you out of most trouble
once you learn what to look for.

But if you want to be absolutely safe, then the only answer is, as you
suggest, playing alone or with trusted friends.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

TheFinal@sol.dk wrote:

> Hello
> I have been PK'ed for the theird time, and seemly the same way (yes I
> didnt learn)
> But it is hard to take precautions to this type.
>
> No town portal, but hostile + kill within seconds.....
>
> Any way to avoid stuff like tHis ? (other than playing alone/with freinds)
> ?

The only way is to play only with people you trust.

That's the Battle Net way, developed, maintained and supported by
Blizzard Entertainment Inc.

Blizzard was allways pro PK. Blizzard has done all to make it almost
impossible for the users to find new friends all over the world.

It's obvious that Blizzard don't want one big friendly Diablo community
on Battle Net. As we can see, it's very easy for 1% PKs to spoil the fun
for the remaining 99%. PKs are Blizzards pets, watchdogs to make sure
that most people playing either alone or at least in small separated
groups, called clans.

Some people must realize that Bizzard is a company and not church
preaching peace and harmony. The goal of every company is to make
money. I allready have accepted that the way Battle Net works is made
by the marketing division for the company and not by gamers for
gamers.

BTW. It's a nightmare of all marketing managers to face one large and
organized group of customers. It's much more convinient to have them
unorganized and separated.

If one would be able to proof that a 'PVM-Only' checkbox in the game
creation form, preventing hostility for that game, would result in an
increased selling and had no other negative effects for the company,
they would surely implement that feature.

Just my 2¢
Koile

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> TheFinal@sol.dk wrote:
> > Hello
> > I have been PK'ed for the theird time, and seemly the same way (yes I
> > didnt learn)
> > But it is hard to take precautions to this type.
> >
> > No town portal, but hostile + kill within seconds.....
> >
> > Any way to avoid stuff like tHis ? (other than playing alone/with
> > freinds) ?
> >
> > TheFinal, Europe, HC
>

> Well, you need to become very proficient in keeping very close tabs on the
> other players in the game--and stay away from suspicious character types
> such as any that are much higher in level than you, and types known for
> TPPKing, such as necs.

as i dont play hc, can you explain how tppk'ing works, please? i read a lot
of posts mentioning this...

<TheFinal@sol.dk> wrote in message
> I have been PK'ed for the theird time, and seemly the same way (yes I
> didnt learn)
> But it is hard to take precautions to this type.
>
> No town portal, but hostile + kill within seconds.....
>
> Any way to avoid stuff like tHis ? (other than playing alone/with
> freinds)

There is no bullet-proof method, not even with the use of third-party
program (in cases of a slight lag spike). The followings are helpful
practices, but can not always save your ass:

a) Beware of high level "helpers", decline offer for help and don't go
anywhere if he's around.

b) Some builds are known to be (possible) pker builds, such as Ice Blast
sorc (nearly all are pkers), Chargeboltress (nearly all are pkers, few
are cowgirls), Bone Necro (most are pkers and/or duelers), GA Bowazon
(esp. when you see that he even uses GA when there are 20 monsters
ahead), Wind Druid (most are friendly, but some are pkers), FoH Pally
(most are pvp or pkers). All these build have the capability of using
trigger/tp/wp hacks to pk. There could be more now, especially since
the introduction of new super runewords. Generally, melee guys are the
safest (except when you are near a WP -- see below).

c) Never stay idle at/around a WP. If you must use a WP, get your ass
out of there as fast as possible. Don't attempt to go to a WP if you
see suspicious player hanging around the Town WP. Everyone can PK you
when you are at or close to a WP.

d) Never be the first one to take a "friendly" TP. Let brave hearts to
jump in first. (However, brave hearts can be gang partners though.)

e) Don't give WP to others, especially if they are high level guys
claiming they get rushed and therefore didn't get the WP. If you can't
refuse (eg he gave you a SOJ for this service), make sure that guy is a
distance from the Town WP and set up your TP a screen away from the WP.

f) Pay attention to what other players are doing. If a Wind Druid
always hang by your side and not go ahead to blast the monsters, he is
suspicious. A lvl 70 Javazon who doesn't throw a javelin at all (or her
LF only has 2-3 bolts and can't kill a thing) is suspicious (I would bet
anything that she has a WF on switch). A lvl 60 summoning Necro who has
only 5 skellies is very suspicious. A Sorc who is unwilling to show you
what her main skill is has got to have some hidden agenda. A bowazon
who always insists in watching your ass is suspicious... The list goes
on and on. You have to develop your own sense of visualization about
what they will turn out to be.

g) Have someone, or something, in between you and those ranged
attackers/casters. In Baal runs, always make sure you have your own
handy TP in the Minions Chamber. Don't trade FRW for hitpower. Last
season my Barb had out-run some GA arrows to get his ass into the TP he
had opened.

h) No matter what you do, there are some smart kids who have developed
skills that make them look harmless and friendly.

i) Pay attention to the people who joins your game. Look at suspicious
names and unreasonable clvls. Pay particular attention to
self-claimed-god-like names like iPwNzUrAsS, notorious clan suffix
like ]xxDoggiexx[BMPK][, or names you can't trace/type, like
iiirrrmmiiii, etc.

j) Hang around in Trading channel when you are bored. You will get to
know who these prominent pkers are. Ironically, it's pretty safe to do
Baal runs with these famous pk/pvp guys (if they would allow you),
because they don't like jeopardizing their own parties and very few
other pkers want to get hunted by them for 9 years.

Finally, everyone is a potential pker. Nobody (except Bing and
BingDoesNotPK) is trustworthy.

Bing
(Hey, can I have Durance WP?)

Koile wrote:
> TheFinal@sol.dk wrote:
>

>>Hello
>>I have been PK'ed for the theird time, and seemly the same way (yes I
>>didnt learn)
>>But it is hard to take precautions to this type.
>>
>>No town portal, but hostile + kill within seconds.....
>>
>>Any way to avoid stuff like tHis ? (other than playing alone/with freinds)
>>?
>

> The only way is to play only with people you trust.
>
> (...)

The only *legal* way :)

You can use a third party diablo add-on like C3PO (yes it is cheating
and Blizzard forbids it and it is very very bad and you may have your
account deleted by Blizzard and ...) which gives you an anti-PK
protection (automatic game exiting when someone "hostiles" you).

KAOS

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:28:20 -0000, "P"
<stickyoursp@mwhere.thesundont.shine> wrote:

>"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> TheFinal@sol.dk wrote:
>> > Hello
>> > I have been PK'ed for the theird time, and seemly the same way (yes I
>> > didnt learn)
>> > But it is hard to take precautions to this type.
>> >
>> > No town portal, but hostile + kill within seconds.....
>> >
>> > Any way to avoid stuff like tHis ? (other than playing alone/with
>> > freinds) ?
>> >
>> > TheFinal, Europe, HC
>>

>> Well, you need to become very proficient in keeping very close tabs on the
>> other players in the game--and stay away from suspicious character types
>> such as any that are much higher in level than you, and types known for
>> TPPKing, such as necs.
>>

>as i dont play hc, can you explain how tppk'ing works, please? i read a lot
>of posts mentioning this...

It's an exploit involving fire-and-forget attacks and a town portal,
that leaves your victim dealing with the attacks whilst you stay safe
in town. And even that is more details than I'm comfortable sharing.

KAOS

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:26:21 +0100, Koile <koile.usenet@gmail.com>
wrote:

>It's obvious that Blizzard don't want one big friendly Diablo community
>on Battle Net. As we can see, it's very easy for 1% PKs to spoil the fun
>for the remaining 99%. PKs are Blizzards pets, watchdogs to make sure
>that most people playing either alone or at least in small separated
>groups, called clans.
>
>Some people must realize that Bizzard is a company and not church
>preaching peace and harmony. The goal of every company is to make
>money. I allready have accepted that the way Battle Net works is made
>by the marketing division for the company and not by gamers for
>gamers.

I don't see the market value, except *maybe* in that it keeps people
off Battle Net without actually closing the service.

Personally, I think it's more of an ideological value; Blizzard has
always been focused on competitive gaming more than co-op gaming. But
that doesn't explain their lackluster efforts wrt hacks and exploits,
which spoil both competitive and co-op environments.

"Kaos" <kaos@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:28:20 -0000, "P"
> <stickyoursp@mwhere.thesundont.shine> wrote:
>

> >> Well, you need to become very proficient in keeping very close tabs on
the
> >> other players in the game--and stay away from suspicious character
types
> >> such as any that are much higher in level than you, and types known for
> >> TPPKing, such as necs.
> >>

> >as i dont play hc, can you explain how tppk'ing works, please? i read a
lot
> >of posts mentioning this...
>
> It's an exploit involving fire-and-forget attacks and a town portal,
> that leaves your victim dealing with the attacks whilst you stay safe
> in town. And even that is more details than I'm comfortable sharing.

ok, i get it, thx - so it's not a hack anyway... if i ever play hc i'll
remember to be wary of sins and sorcs then ;-)

P wrote:
> "Kaos" <kaos@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>> as i dont play hc, can you explain how tppk'ing works, please? i
>>> read a lot of posts mentioning this...
>>
>> It's an exploit involving fire-and-forget attacks and a town portal,
>> that leaves your victim dealing with the attacks whilst you stay safe
>> in town. And even that is more details than I'm comfortable sharing.
>>

> ok, i get it, thx - so it's not a hack anyway... if i ever play hc
> i'll remember to be wary of sins and sorcs then ;-)

Well, unfortunately, yes it is. It's almost always tied to a script that
attacks, opens the TP, pops the attacker through it, and then hostiles all
in an instant--much faster than an unaided player could do, and much faster
than the victim can respond to.

It's always used with timed ranged attacks that turn hostile along with the
PKer--attacks such as guided arrow, bone spear, etc.

Of course, the same thing can be done unaided, but it's not nearly as
deadly, and not that many PKers seem to bother trying it "legitimately".

--

> P wrote:
> > "Kaos" <kaos@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in message

> >> It's an exploit involving fire-and-forget attacks and a town portal,
> >> that leaves your victim dealing with the attacks whilst you stay safe
> >> in town. And even that is more details than I'm comfortable sharing.

Some can use a script that open a town portal but I do not recall seeing
this kind of TPPK. Also it seems to be called TPPK these days but it was
"trigger hack" in the past and there is no Town Portal involved unless the
script is so fast that you do not see it when you are hostiled.

VD

Virtual Den wrote:
> Some can use a script that open a town portal but I do not recall
> seeing this kind of TPPK. Also it seems to be called TPPK these days
> but it was "trigger hack" in the past and there is no Town Portal
> involved unless the script is so fast that you do not see it when you
> are hostiled.
>
> VD

I think the trigger hacks were a zon thing, mostly--maybe exclusively, but
I've slept a few times since last thinking about it.

The TPPK stuff is pretty much based on the same principle. Even the old
hydra sorcs killed in pretty much the same fashion, so I guess you could say
all of them are based on a theme.

Regardless of what they're called, the one thing they have in common is that
they end up with the hacker/exploiter in town with the victim unable to
retaliate, assuming his unlikely survival.

--
chainbreaker

<TheFinal@sol.dk> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have been PK'ed for the theird time, and seemly the same way (yes I
> didnt learn)
> But it is hard to take precautions to this type.
>
> No town portal, but hostile + kill within seconds.....
>
> Any way to avoid stuff like tHis ? (other than playing alone/with freinds)
> ?
>
> TheFinal, Europe, HC

There is no defense against it but to have a lot of life like a Barb with
Battle Order or a Druid with Oak Sage. These classes are less likely to be
trigger hacked because the hacker does not like to fail a kill and should
rather choose the other classes with less hit points. But playing a level 50
Barb with a very high level player is not a good idea unless you know he can
not trigger hack you.

In fact look at the number of games in Hell and you will see there are not a
lot. Make some friends and play only private games. In the past (not
anymore) I often played unparty in public Hell games and I was beginning to
be paranoid each time a new players entered the game and once in a while I
had to quickly cast a TP to go to town because I saw an unparty character on
my map. Quess what? When this happened the other guy also saw me on his map
and often he also did the same or quickly quitted the game. Only people who
are really aware of this hack will play public Hell games and also the
people new to Hardcore who have no idea what is this hack. I only play
normal and nightmare public games but I am very careful in nightmare and
this hack is really not popular in normal.

VD

> Virtual Den wrote:
> > Some can use a script that open a town portal but I do not recall
> > seeing this kind of TPPK. Also it seems to be called TPPK these days
> > but it was "trigger hack" in the past and there is no Town Portal
> > involved unless the script is so fast that you do not see it when you
> > are hostiled.
> >
> > VD
>
> I think the trigger hacks were a zon thing, mostly--maybe exclusively, but
> I've slept a few times since last thinking about it.

It was for a long time only a Zon thing but once it was fixed for Guided
Arrow it really degenerated. I was actually killed by this hack about 4
times, only by Zon, it was always in Hell and each time I lost a lot. I saw
(long time ago in normal) a throwing barb using it against me. There were
some discussion between our friend's group to not stay in the way of even
any missile weapons. He was throwing spear toward me while killing monsters
and I was always moving knowing that unlike the GA of a Zon it does not
always hit. We were both about level 13 ? when the low level duelling was
very popular. He did not kill me but there was no TP when he hostiled.

Here is a link of a message I did about a Nova Sorc trying it on me 2 years
ago in the Cow level and you can not hostile in the Cow level. The
discussion about it was easy to find but Google looks unfamiliar now so just
scroll up to read my post. When I said; "at the end of Nova" I meant that
the hostility took place about the same time when the end of the circle of
the Nova touched me.

http://minilien.com/?KNXlBNrHQO
ou
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.diablo2/browse_thread/thread/3b6babbec928d18a/a2452788cbb7c006?q=nova+cow+pk+group:alt.games.diablo2+autho
r:virtual+author:den&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fas_q%3Dnova+cow+pk%26num%3D10%26scori
ng%3Dr%26hl%3Den%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_epq%3D%26as_oq%3D%26as_eq%3D%26as_ugroup%
3Dalt.games.diablo2%26as_usubject%3D%26as_uauthors%3Dvirtual+den%26as_qdr%3D
%26as_drrb%3Db%26as_mind%3D1%26as_minm%3D1%26as_miny%3D1997%26as_maxd%3D15%2
6as_maxm%3D12%26as_maxy%3D2004%26safe%3Doff%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#
a2452788cbb7c006

> The TPPK stuff is pretty much based on the same principle. Even the old
> hydra sorcs killed in pretty much the same fashion, so I guess you could
say
> all of them are based on a theme.

Yes but there is always a theme that is worse.;oP Hydra Sorc were easy to
spot when they casted their TP and the Firestorm Sorc who came later.

> Regardless of what they're called, the one thing they have in common is
that
> they end up with the hacker/exploiter in town with the victim unable to
> retaliate, assuming his unlikely survival.

Yes and I can not imagime that Blizzard always lets this to continue in
Hardcore for so many years while fixing some skills only and letting other
skills to do the same. :( It would not be for money on Ebay? ;oP

VD

thefinal

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004

Thanks for the support.

However about PK being the marketing pets ?
99% IS a huge group standing united against PK's :)

TheFinal
Europe, HC, Ladder

Bingain schrieb:

<snips usefull info how to avoid PK death>

> Finally, everyone is a potential pker. Nobody (except Bing and
> BingDoesNotPK) is trustworthy.
>
> Bing
> (Hey, can I have Durance WP?)

No!

---
Hannes

PS: Did I learn the lesson? Yes? Ok then, take my TP ...

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:39:48 +0100, Hannes Brunner wrote:

> Bingain schrieb:
>
> <snips usefull info how to avoid PK death>
>
>> Finally, everyone is a potential pker. Nobody (except Bing and
>> BingDoesNotPK) is trustworthy.
>>
>> Bing
>> (Hey, can I have Durance WP?)
>
> No!

Sure he can, give me a EuHCL BER rune he can get normal durance WP and be
PK'ed :)

--
Sonni