Video Card Upgrade for PIII 733mhz w/TNT2M64crap

BobNoxious

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I am looking at Visiontek xtasy 5864(GeForce2 TI) and the xtasy 6564 (GeForce3 TI200). At Compuplus, they sell whitebox versions of each for $49 and $81 respectively.

I play Unreal Tournament approx 6-8 hours/week. Rest is internet surfing, etc...

Please advise - should I just upgrade to GeForce 2 Ti?
Dell Dimension 4100.
PIII 733mhz
384 SDRAM.
Nvidia TNT2M64
20Gig HD
SBLive Value Digital

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
On Newegg, you can get the 8500 for $98 and get better performance and likely better image quality.

If you want to stick with Nvidia though, go with the Geforce 3, as it's still almost twice as fast as the 2 TI and has full DX8 support.

English is phun.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
both will play UT acceptably.
course the geforce3 will be more advanced and faster.

unfortunately UT depends mostly on the CPU and memory bandwidth, so adding a better graphics card only does so much.

Proud owner of the <b>Beige Beast</b> :lol:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
unfortunately UT depends mostly on the CPU and memory bandwidth, so adding a better graphics card only does so much.
Perhaps, but it will still help make a sharper immage with things like AA and higher resolutions. And, with a TI200 or 8500 like I sudgested, he could likely play the new UT coming out.

English is phun.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, price/performance, taking his CPU into account, the GF2TI might be his best value. BTW, www.justdeals.com is carrying the PNY Verto GF2Ti for only $39 now.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Also though, if you want to play upcoming 3D games and general future titles it may be good to go with the GF3 Ti as it is better equipped to keep up with future games. It might be worth the extra $$ now to save you from upgrading again when next year's games roll out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, he would raise the resale value of his computer by about $40 with the $40 card, or maybe $50 with a $100 card. With older systems there comes a lower point of diminishing returns, he'd be best off to get whatever is the best value for this system and replace the whole thing later.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS