Your question
Closed

Malicious iPhone Virus Takes Control of Your Phone

Last response: in News comments
November 23, 2009 2:58:13 PM

lol
Score
November 23, 2009 3:02:15 PM

Now, is this just another one of those "apps" I can buy?
Score
Related resources
November 23, 2009 3:03:18 PM

This cannot be. Apple products are impervious to any malware.
My hairy white ass they are. lol
Score
November 23, 2009 3:04:27 PM

Next malware download will cause iGrenade's to go off all over the world causing one of the largest terrorist attacks in history. The US will soon respond with a military incursion into Cupertino, CA.
Score
November 23, 2009 3:06:14 PM

All i gotta say is,

GG apple users! Screwed if you jailbreak, sucks if you dont!
Score
November 23, 2009 3:06:33 PM

I have to say, I'm sort of happy to see Apple being targeted by a new virus. It serves them right, even if it is only targeting altered devices.

"I'm a PC, and Windows 7 was my idea."
Score
November 23, 2009 3:08:30 PM

Clearly, a fabricated and patently false story created by Microsoft fanbois to discredit the Great and Good name of Apple Computers Inc in a vain scheme to prevent the iminent collapse of WinDoze. After all, it is common knowledge that viruses and malware are solely the providence of Win~Blows and (deservedly!!) exist to show the Microserfs what a piece of garbage their so called "choice" of an operating system really is.

All Hail Steve Jobs!
Score
November 23, 2009 3:09:43 PM

What kind of valuable information could an iPhone user possible have? Unless the hacker is looking for massive amounts of free indy music and blog passwords.
Score
November 23, 2009 3:12:21 PM

Wait what?!?!?!? Apple can't get viruses......
:lol: 
Score
November 23, 2009 3:13:53 PM

Intersting that an Apple phone is more prone to get a virus than the Mac laptops...
Score
November 23, 2009 3:15:20 PM

how can people leave the default password on anything these days, just plain lazy
Score
November 23, 2009 3:23:58 PM

ScotteqClearly, a fabricated and patently false story created by Microsoft fanbois to discredit the Great and Good name of Apple Computers Inc in a vain scheme to prevent the iminent collapse of WinDoze. After all, it is common knowledge that viruses and malware are solely the providence of Win~Blows and (deservedly!!) exist to show the Microserfs what a piece of garbage their so called "choice" of an operating system really is. All Hail Steve Jobs!

Loser.
Score
November 23, 2009 3:26:23 PM

The funny part is you guys actually take that garbage seriously... ;) 

Perhaps I didn't take it far enough?
Score
November 23, 2009 3:27:26 PM

Shadow703793Wait what?!?!?!? Apple can't get viruses......

they can't... if you leave the password of a windows box as admin same shit happens...
Score
November 23, 2009 3:33:14 PM

Aww what have you done Apple? You got yourself some market share in the smartphone department and look what happened to your precious gem!
Score
November 23, 2009 3:39:13 PM

ScotteqThe funny part is you guys actually take that garbage seriously... Perhaps I didn't take it far enough?

It needs something... maybe.. yes! That's it!

I CAN HAS MOAR COWBELL?
Score
November 23, 2009 3:49:21 PM

This proves one thing, the most successful smartphone is a sweet target. Apple products aren't more secure per se, they simply do not have the same market share as the usual suspect.

Symantec and other security companies would gladly protect you from malware for a fee :p 
Score
November 23, 2009 3:55:22 PM

Only reason MAC was impervious to virus' is that NO ONE CARED ABOUT MAC USERS! If more people used MAC's and there was something to get out of it, such as annoying a small portion of society, then there would be more virus'. Iphone is just that, an opportunity for a hacker to create a nusance for the thousands of believers out there who think they feel they received their Iphone from God himself (as well as load up on their personal information and do all the other good stuff they aim at PC users).
Score
November 23, 2009 3:55:22 PM

Only reason MAC was impervious to virus' is that NO ONE CARED ABOUT MAC USERS! If more people used MAC's and there was something to get out of it, such as annoying a small portion of society, then there would be more virus'. Iphone is just that, an opportunity for a hacker to create a nusance for the thousands of believers out there who think they feel they received their Iphone from God himself (as well as load up on their personal information and do all the other good stuff they aim at PC users).
Score
November 23, 2009 4:01:34 PM

This is a win-lose for Apple. On the one hand they have a definitive "I told you so" to jailbreakers who defy their "orders" to not jailbreak the device. But on the other hand most sites reporting this bury the fact that this only effects jailbroken devices and idiots who SSH without changing the default passwords deep within the article so that anyone who just reads the title will think this effects ALL iPhones.
Score
November 23, 2009 4:06:43 PM

My Guess.....it's a Microsoft Virus...lol
Score
November 23, 2009 4:09:08 PM

guess it's time for it to rot...LOLZ
Score
November 23, 2009 4:31:21 PM

this will be in there next ad:

want to hack into someones phone? there's an app for that.

LOL
Score
November 23, 2009 4:39:08 PM

pale paladinThis cannot be. Apple products are impervious to any malware. My hairy white ass they are. lol

How is this an apple product? They are talking about jailbroken iPhones only.
Score
November 23, 2009 4:41:37 PM

Gonna dp, sorry. I'm one of the first ones up to state that when Apple's market share increases you will see an influx of malware, but this isn't that story. Jailbreaking specifically removes security measures on the phone to keep unauthorized programs from running on it.

Blaming this on apple is like removing your breaks and blaming the car company when you get in a wreck.
Score
November 23, 2009 4:42:31 PM

This is so funny. Apple keeps touting Windows as buggy and virus prone. Then something like this happens to their products. If they could just be positive and stop bashing and pointing out the competitors flaws, this would not have been a big deal as every product has their faults. But No, Apple has to act all superior as if their products do not have problems. This is why I dislike Apple and the MAC lovers. They could not be positive without attacking the other side.
Score
November 23, 2009 4:42:37 PM

ScotteqClearly, a fabricated and patently false story created by Microsoft fanbois to discredit the Great and Good name of Apple Computers Inc in a vain scheme to prevent the iminent collapse of WinDoze. After all, it is common knowledge that viruses and malware are solely the providence of Win~Blows and (deservedly!!) exist to show the Microserfs what a piece of garbage their so called "choice" of an operating system really is. All Hail Steve Jobs!

exactly what are you talking about?! a conspiracy theory?! good for you fanboy :D 

btw, you have some serious problems with spelling! or maybe you are trying to be funny...?! ;) 
Score
November 23, 2009 4:50:18 PM

Yet again, if I understand Jailbreaking, this really has nothing to do with Apple or the quality of their product. Jailbreaking specifically bypass security measures that would specifically stop this from happening (like the running of unauthorized programs)
Score
November 23, 2009 4:53:35 PM

And frankly, its kind of pandering to not mention that in the headline, or first paragraph, and then to only mention it once in the article. There is a massive difference between a jailbroken phone and an apple product.
Score
November 23, 2009 4:56:52 PM

A better title for this article would be
"Malicious Virus Taking Control of Jailbroken iPhones"

I was trying to figure out how it took control of My iPhone. Especially since I don't even own one. ;o)
Score
November 23, 2009 5:20:11 PM

@People complaining about the title of the article

The title is misleading and misaligned with the article...how is that different than the other source of our news out there?
Score
November 23, 2009 5:21:43 PM

I will laugh hard if Norton or McAfee develops a antivirus software for the iPhone. I will laugh harder if someone actually buys and installs it.
Score
November 23, 2009 5:23:36 PM

pbrigidoI will laugh hard if Norton or McAfee develops a antivirus software for the iPhone. I will laugh harder if someone actually buys and installs it.

I'll laugh with you if either software comes pre-installed on an iPhone!
Score
November 23, 2009 5:29:13 PM

ScotteqThe funny part is you guys actually take that garbage seriously... Perhaps I didn't take it far enough?

It was far enough, I can't believe someone took it seriously. However, you forgot to spell Microsoft as Micro$oft and mention how Windows is nothing but an inferior rip-off of Mac OS ;) 
Score
November 23, 2009 5:29:46 PM

mayne92I'll laugh with you if either software comes pre-installed on an iPhone!

Bloat ware on an Apple product? I don't think my stomach can handle that much laughter.
Score
November 23, 2009 5:33:11 PM

mayne92@People complaining about the title of the articleThe title is misleading and misaligned with the article...how is that different than the other source of our news out there?

Fair enough, but I hold Tom's to a higher standard than other outlets. I'm generally PC all the way as I am a DIY junkie, but this site often panders to a pretty heavy anti-mac group here. Its one thing to make a fair argument about the pros and cons of one OS/Computer or another, but the frankly unintelligent arguments that show up following a weaker piece of reporting like this do nothing towards getting all of us better systems through decent analyses.

Instead, you see ad campaigns like Apple's which have very little factual information in them and simply cater towards emotional attachments to a product (or "lifestyle") or you see supposedly technically inclined people like those here not understanding the significant difference between an iPhone and a Jailbroken iPhone.
Score
November 23, 2009 5:50:59 PM

I'm surprised with the market share of the IPod that apple malware is so far behind.
Score
November 23, 2009 6:02:44 PM

necronicFair enough, but I hold Tom's to a higher standard than other outlets. I'm generally PC all the way as I am a DIY junkie, but this site often panders to a pretty heavy anti-mac group here. Its one thing to make a fair argument about the pros and cons of one OS/Computer or another, but the frankly unintelligent arguments that show up following a weaker piece of reporting like this do nothing towards getting all of us better systems through decent analyses.Instead, you see ad campaigns like Apple's which have very little factual information in them and simply cater towards emotional attachments to a product (or "lifestyle") or you see supposedly technically inclined people like those here not understanding the significant difference between an iPhone and a Jailbroken iPhone.

True...I always expect a little more from my fav news sites. I like Tom's and Anand for my tech but all in all I have to go to many sites and read reader reviews because journalism is ALWAYS more skewed to one side (The love-hate of the writer)...plain and simple...
Score
November 23, 2009 7:11:47 PM

necronicHow is this an apple product? They are talking about jailbroken iPhones only.

This is really no different than people turning off UAC in Vesta or Windows 7 because they hate the warning pop-ups. When the PC finally gets infected, Microsoft is blamed.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander my friends.
Score
November 23, 2009 8:25:48 PM

Only idiot's blame microsoft for infections when they turn UAC off. So if its the same there as here, only idiots blame Apple for infections when they turn off important security features.

Score
November 23, 2009 9:11:45 PM

captaincharismathis will be in there next ad:want to hack into someones phone? there's an app for that.LOL

Someone should make that ad and post it on YouTube. lol
Score
November 23, 2009 10:14:30 PM

I hate apple and there "we're impervious to viruses" ways as much as the next person, but this isn't fair to them. its barely a virus as it only effects phones that have been JAIL BROKEN and not had a default password changed. this is one of the very reasons apple warns against doing it (even tho we know the real reason).

still apple, people wouldn't jailbreak if your control over the device wasn't so F$#%ED to begin with! so you deserve everything you get!
Score
November 23, 2009 10:42:52 PM

Tip of the day. If you use a Jailbroken iphone, you'll expose yourself to risk. So is jailbreaking your iphone to score some pirated apps worth the chance of getting malware?
Score
November 23, 2009 11:57:38 PM

sunflierNow, is this just another one of those "apps" I can buy?

No, actually you don't buy this app. You first have to jailbreak your phone. You know, so you can just steal apps. Then you get this virus for free too!

People are just plain stupid sometimes. Apple won't give a shit about this because the phone isn't supposed to be "jailbroken" anyway. Normally I'd jump at the change to free myself from corporate bullshit, but you really need to pick your battles. Hell, almost every app you get is a dollar anyway. Maybe people shouldn't be so cheap and these things wouldn't happen to them.
Score
November 24, 2009 12:02:31 AM

ubergeekA better title for this article would be "Malicious Virus Taking Control of Jailbroken iPhones"I was trying to figure out how it took control of My iPhone. Especially since I don't even own one. ;o)

And they should CAP JAILBROKEN for all the dumb people that think it affects all iPhones.

I used to get annoyed when people made fun of the iPhone or labeled me a "snob" for having one. Now, it just seems they're either uneducated or jealous. The people who just prefer other phones never participate in bashing because they have better shit to worry about, lol.
Score
November 24, 2009 12:32:36 AM

The rating for this post is proof that sarcasm is lost on the internet.
Score
November 24, 2009 3:13:49 AM

iDo get viruses
Score
!