If I increase my memory from 512 to 1gb, how much of a performance
increase will I see. I mainly surf, word process, digital photos,
excel, and light graphic work such as greeting cards, stationery.

~k

I have a Dell 2400 that came preinstalled with 512MB of RAM. I use it
basically for web surfing, scanning pics, uploading digital camera pics,
typing Word documents, and printing out stuff from time to time. Recently I
upgraded the RAM to 1GB and hardly notice any difference at all.

"Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message
> If I increase my memory from 512 to 1gb, how much of a performance
> increase will I see. I mainly surf, word process, digital photos,
> excel, and light graphic work such as greeting cards, stationery.
>
> ~k

Thanks all --

Kay
"History Fan" <Unknownplaces@unknownplaces22.com> wrote in message
I have a Dell 2400 that came preinstalled with 512MB of RAM. I
use it
basically for web surfing, scanning pics, uploading digital camera
pics,
typing Word documents, and printing out stuff from time to time.
Recently I
upgraded the RAM to 1GB and hardly notice any difference at all.

"Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message
> If I increase my memory from 512 to 1gb, how much of a performance
> increase will I see. I mainly surf, word process, digital photos,
> excel, and light graphic work such as greeting cards, stationery.
>
> ~k

Very little overall - more on the photo editing, less on the other
applications.

Kmee wrote:
> If I increase my memory from 512 to 1gb, how much of a performance
> increase will I see. I mainly surf, word process, digital photos,
> excel, and light graphic work such as greeting cards, stationery.
>
> ~k

TY

~k

> TY

"some".

I just did this upgrade myself, but my demands from my system are generally
mild to moderate - rarely demanding.

Stew

Agreed. Unless your digital photos are pretty high megapixels, you likely
won't even see it there.

Tom
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Very little overall - more on the photo editing, less on the other
> applications.
>

> Kmee wrote:
>> If I increase my memory from 512 to 1gb, how much of a performance
>> increase will I see. I mainly surf, word process, digital photos,
>> excel, and light graphic work such as greeting cards, stationery.
>>
>> ~k

In article <hIyFe.31$_d1.397@eagle.america.net>, Kmee@nospammsn.com
says...
> If I increase my memory from 512 to 1gb, how much of a performance
> increase will I see. I mainly surf, word process, digital photos,
> excel, and light graphic work such as greeting cards, stationery.

Right click on your task bar in a empty section, select TASK MANAGER,
select the "Performance" tab, look at the "Physical Memory" section near
the bottom - the TOTAL is the amount of real memory you have in your
computer, the AVAILABLE is the amount of real free memory you have left.
During your normal days work, if the available drops below 64000 then
you might benefit from more memory, also, if the PF Usage graph shows
MORE in use than your real amount of memory, then you are using
swap/page file space and really do need more memory.

Most people typical home users will never use the 512~1024 range of RAM
and it does little to increase performance. What you might want to do,
if you want to get performance, is to get a faster hard drive or a
faster video card.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Thanks for this information.

~k

Kmee wrote:
> Thanks for this information.
>
> ~k
> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> In article <hIyFe.31$_d1.397@eagle.america.net>, Kmee@nospammsn.com
> says...
>
>>If I increase my memory from 512 to 1gb, how much of a performance
>>increase will I see. I mainly surf, word process, digital photos,
>>excel, and light graphic work such as greeting cards, stationery.
>

> Right click on your task bar in a empty section, select TASK MANAGER,
> select the "Performance" tab, look at the "Physical Memory" section
> near
> the bottom - the TOTAL is the amount of real memory you have in your
> computer, the AVAILABLE is the amount of real free memory you have
> left.
> During your normal days work, if the available drops below 64000 then
> you might benefit from more memory, also, if the PF Usage graph shows
> MORE in use than your real amount of memory, then you are using
> swap/page file space and really do need more memory.

It should be noted that due to the way Windows assigns RAM, it will use
more RAM for the same processes if you have 1GB versus 512MB (check for
yourself by removing a stick).

> Most people typical home users will never use the 512~1024 range of
> RAM
> and it does little to increase performance. What you might want to do,
> if you want to get performance, is to get a faster hard drive or a
> faster video card.

I agree that 512 is adequate for most home use, but there may be some
benefit to more RAM if the original poster only has one stick and is not
currently in double data rate (DDR) mode. A new video card would only
help video games (and even then only those whose bottleneck is the
current card).

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Nicholas Andrade <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kmee wrote:
>> Thanks for this information.
>>
>> ~k
>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> In article <hIyFe.31$_d1.397@eagle.america.net>, Kmee@nospammsn.com
>> says...
>>
>>>If I increase my memory from 512 to 1gb, how much of a performance
>>>increase will I see. I mainly surf, word process, digital photos,
>>>excel, and light graphic work such as greeting cards, stationery.
>>

>> Right click on your task bar in a empty section, select TASK MANAGER,
>> select the "Performance" tab, look at the "Physical Memory" section
>> near
>> the bottom - the TOTAL is the amount of real memory you have in your
>> computer, the AVAILABLE is the amount of real free memory you have
>> left.
>> During your normal days work, if the available drops below 64000 then
>> you might benefit from more memory, also, if the PF Usage graph shows
>> MORE in use than your real amount of memory, then you are using
>> swap/page file space and really do need more memory.
>>
> It should be noted that due to the way Windows assigns RAM, it will use
> more RAM for the same processes if you have 1GB versus 512MB (check for
> yourself by removing a stick).

Sure. LRU virtual memory managers will keep anything and everything
until demand exhausts physical memory. Then some crusty old DLL will
get swapped out without much fanfare.

Perfmon would give an accurate answer. Perfmon captures trends better.
Unfortunately a short tutorial is too much to jot down in a usenet post.

Googling "perfmon tuning memory xp" led to this link:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Articles/ArticleID/3615/pg/2/2.html

I didn't read it. I can't vouch for it. But it looks reasonable.
It's also a pretty complicated answer.

So the simple answer is: 512MB is probably okay.