masch

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Thinking of getting a laptop.

I know the reviews in THG used the ati radeon 7500 with 64 MB (or is it 128MB?). The laptop I'm considering to get is a Dell equipped with ATI RADEON-M 7500 32 MB. Will there be a considerable difference between the two? I am currently using a desktop with a geforce 2 mx 32MB. Would either be a worthwhile upgrade to my current machine?

Yeah I want to get a laptop for gaming because I am rarely if ever home these days.

Thank you in advance

UoMDeacon

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
What games are you looking at playing? If you were thinking of intense 3D first person shooters, it would probably be a much much better idea to go with one of the newer GF4 Go or Radeon 8500 Mobility chips. Those are actually able to game at a respectable rate. I think Anandtech had a review of those two chipsets.

As for your current desktop, it really depends on what CPU you have. If you have a older one like a PIII, most likely one of the newer GF4s or 8500s won't be able to run at full efficiency. Though if you did upgrade, you would still see a significant performance boost since the MXs were bandwidth crippled.

Myrmecophagavir

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
would probably be a much much better idea to go with one of the newer GF4 Go or Radeon 8500 Mobility chips.
I didn't know there was a Mobility 8500?

Anyway the Mobility 7500 significantly outperforms the GeForce 2 Go, THG has an article in the graphics guide section. The GF 2 Go was essentially a cut down version of the GF 2 MX, so the performance may well be equivalent to what you have now.

There are a few notebooks popping up with GF 4 Go's in them, and as UoMDeacon says they would be better.

TRENDING THREADS