Problems Shutting Down in Windows 2000

schu

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
I just recently installed Windows 2000 Professional for the first time and I'm having some troubles with it. If I change anything and try to restart, it takes forever for it to reboot (5-15 mins). If I don't change anything and restart it works fine and restarts in a few seconds. I tried a few experiments and I found that even if I run Internet Explorer and visit a few sites it will cause this problem. Originally I thought it might only happen after installing updates or programs, but apparently it happens if I change anything. This is a clean install (sort of)... I formatted my drive and then I installed Win98SE and then Win2k to try out dual boot and so I could screw around with Win2k. I had this problem the first time I installed so I formatted the entire drive again and reinstalled both OSes and I still have the same problem under Win2k. Win98SE works just fine. All hardware has the latest drivers and I've installed all the Win2k updates. I've also installed VIA 4in1 driver set and USB drivers that came with my motherboard. Here are my specs (btw, I just upgraded)...

Win98 SE Fully Updated
Win2k Pro Fully Updated

Abit KT7A RAID (RAID disabled at the moment)
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 GHz
256 MB RAM (CAS 2 / Mosel Vitelic / PC133)
Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI card
IBM 9 gig SCSI Hard Drive
Maxtor 40 gig IDE/UDMA 66 Hard Drive
Maxtor 8 gig IDE Hard Drive
Plextor UltraPlex 40x Max SCSI CD-ROM Drive
Yamaha 4416S SCSI CDR Drive
LS-120 IDE Drive
Diamond Monster Sound MX300
ATI Radeon 64DDR VIVO
Intel 10/100 NIC

This computer is on a small LAN that is connected to a cable modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

-schu
http://www.gouranga.com

G

This is just a shot in the dark, but is hibernation set activated on your computer? If so, then it would write everything stored in your RAM onto your hard disk before you shutdown. Like I said, that's just a shot in the dark.

smithlc

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
In my experience, usually those long delays are due to something in the network setup... its trying to tell some nonexistent network server that its starting or going away. Check your network properties.

chad

G

Try going to the microsoft website and download the latest service pack for windows2000. This will contain the latest updates and bug fixes. I had similar probs with my win2000 prof but it has run spot-on ever since I did this!!