[Newbie Question] Value of set items

Skull

I've been playing Diablo 2 only for a short time now, so this might be a
somewhat dumb question-

I keep on finding stuff that seems to belong to a complete set, Weapons with
names that list a bunch of other stuff at the bottom of the details page
and such. Now, is it possible to complete a whole , uhm, set of stuff? As
in a helmet, sword, shield, boots and whatever?
If so, would it have a advantage over non-set stuff? Sorta "The whole is
more then the sum of it's components"? The gold value would be not that
important for me btw.
Any hints where i can find a nice 3-socket sword with a nice damage value
(20 +) ?

--
Skull off

Skull wrote:
> I've been playing Diablo 2 only for a short time now, so this might
> be a somewhat dumb question-
>
> I keep on finding stuff that seems to belong to a complete set,
> Weapons with names that list a bunch of other stuff at the bottom
> of the details page and such.

If the item name is written in green, then you have found a set item.

> Now, is it possible to complete a
> whole , uhm, set of stuff? As in a helmet, sword, shield, boots and
> whatever?

Yes, if you are patient enough. Some sets are easier to complete than
others.

> If so, would it have a advantage over non-set stuff? Sorta "The
> whole is more then the sum of it's components"? The gold value
> would be not that important for me btw.

Have a look at http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/sets/ to see all
the different sets and their stats.

> Any hints where i can find a nice 3-socket sword with a nice damage
> value (20 +) ?

When you play further on you will find better items. Here is some
information on swords to look at:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/swords.shtml
As you can see there are one-handed and two-handed swords, and with
better damage you need also more strength and dexterity to wield them.
It all depends on what character you play. If you are lucky you might
even find a unique sword inbetween:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/uswords.shtml

Skull

Gundemarie Scholz wrote:

> Yes, if you are patient enough. Some sets are easier to complete than
> others.

Thanks!
Being new to that Battlenet thing i did not think about hitting the
website...well, my fault.
Didn't realize that my Barbarian can wield 2 2-handed swords at the same
time. Would have been somewhat easier to find something nice for him.

--
Skull off

Skull wrote:
> Gundemarie Scholz wrote:
>
> > Yes, if you are patient enough. Some sets are easier to complete
> > than others.
>
> Thanks!
> Being new to that Battlenet thing i did not think about hitting the
> website...well, my fault.
> Didn't realize that my Barbarian can wield 2 2-handed swords at the
> same time. Would have been somewhat easier to find something nice
> for him.

Seeing your ISP seems to be Netcologne I assume you play on Europe.
There should be enough people around here who have spare items or
could play with you, especially if you are Ladder HC. Just pop into
channel "public chat agd2" at some point.

Oh, and could you please either get a working mailbox to reply to
(Koile has some free Gmail accounts to give away) or use a mail
address that uses the special TLD (top level domain) .invalid so that
the postmaster of nowhere.net, Mr Rich Langton, doesn't get all the
spam you try to avoid?

Skull

Gundemarie Scholz wrote:

> Seeing your ISP seems to be Netcologne I assume you play on Europe.

More or less. I bought my copy as cover cd from PC Games some weeks ago. But
everytime i try to connect to Battlenet i get a message that the cd key is
from annother product and so i can't join.
Since i do use the cd key that came with my copy (and no pirated key or some
cracked game) either PC Games messed something up or i have to spend some
more work on my firewall. Already opened 4000 TCP and 6112 UDP (google got
me some results that indicated these are the ports D2 would use), but so
far no go.

> There should be enough people around here who have spare items or
> could play with you, especially if you are Ladder HC. Just pop into

If i'm Ladder HC?

> channel "public chat agd2" at some point.
>
> Oh, and could you please either get a working mailbox to reply to
> (Koile has some free Gmail accounts to give away) or use a mail
> address that uses the special TLD (top level domain) .invalid so that
> the postmaster of nowhere.net, Mr Rich Langton, doesn't get all the
> spam you try to avoid?

Ah well, annother adress down the drain...

'Sides, Rich and his nowhere.net do belong to oingo.com. oingo.com does grab
all domains they can get, so they better should know how to deal with that
sort of stuff.

--
Skull off

Skull wrote:
> Gundemarie Scholz wrote:
>
> > Seeing your ISP seems to be Netcologne I assume you play on
> > Europe.
>
> More or less. I bought my copy as cover cd from PC Games some weeks
> ago. But everytime i try to connect to Battlenet i get a message
> that the cd key is from annother product and so i can't join.
> Since i do use the cd key that came with my copy (and no pirated
> key or some cracked game) either PC Games messed something up

Try this thread, it especially deals with the problems of the PCGames
version:
http://forum2.ingame.de/diablo2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=808788

> or i
> have to spend some more work on my firewall. Already opened 4000
> TCP and 6112 UDP (google got me some results that indicated these
> are the ports D2 would use), but so far no go.

Actually it is not port 6112 UDP, but TCP.
http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0445p

> > There should be enough people around here who have spare items or
> > could play with you, especially if you are Ladder HC. Just pop
> > into
>
> If i'm Ladder HC?

HC - hardcore, "Profi-Modus"
Ladder - there is a new ladder season every now and then, people who
start new characters then are displayed with their ranking on a
special ladder. You can find different items in ladder games, you can
cube runes up higher, and the monsters are tougher.

But if you use the game that came with PCGames then you can only play
Classic, ie without runes and exceptional uniques or sets.

Skull

Gundemarie Scholz wrote:

> Try this thread, it especially deals with the problems of the PCGames
> version:
> http://forum2.ingame.de/diablo2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=808788

Okayyy.....
i _had_ some doubts when i first saw that friggin' home-made patch-cd. Had
trouble to install it too, but did put it down to my general dislike of
windows and windows-software.
So, looks like i have to do a re-install and try again.

Funny. Every 2 or 3 years i drop into windows for a game and it is nearly
always the same. Never works without reconfiguring the system and patching
the hell out of it.

>> or i
>> have to spend some more work on my firewall. Already opened 4000
>> TCP and 6112 UDP (google got me some results that indicated these
>> are the ports D2 would use), but so far no go.
>
> Actually it is not port 6112 UDP, but TCP.
> http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0445p

Ooops.
That changes some. Will try it out.

--
Skull off

Skull

Gundemarie Scholz wrote:

> Skull wrote:

>> have to spend some more work on my firewall. Already opened 4000
>> TCP and 6112 UDP (google got me some results that indicated these
>> are the ports D2 would use), but so far no go.
>
> Actually it is not port 6112 UDP, but TCP.
> http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0445p

And annother one for the $SEARCHENGINE

$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $EXTIF -o $INTIF -p tcp --dport 4000 -m state
--state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $EXTIF -o $INTIF -p tcp --dport 6112 -m state
--state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

where $EXTIF points to your extern interface (ppp0 for example) and $INTIF
to your internal (eth1 for example)

That's for iptables (obviously) on kernel 2.4.x and above. And yes, it's
meant for the guys like me that have a linux masquerading between them and
the rest of the world. I am a bit uneasy about the NEW, ESTABLISHED,
RELATED combo, but at last with my pc games version that was the only way
to get it going.
And of course it is only a add-on to a already operating iptables ruleset.

--
Skull off