The most awesome mod....that wasnt.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I was all set to be uber1337....

I put pentium ACTIVE heatsinks on my gf4ti4200's ram, it was so [-peep-] cool.

<A HREF="http://publish.hometown.aol.com/matbrad232323/myhomepage/pdrm1102.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US" target="_new">http://publish.hometown.aol.com/matbrad232323/myhomepage/pdrm1102.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US</A>

Forgive the blury shot. It was so [-peep-] cool......except for capacitance.....putting the heatsinks on the ram causes graphical glitches...and I was a dumbass and used arctic silver epoxy....today I tried the freezer hammer trick to remove the ramsinks.....all but 2 ramchips torn from my video....oh the humanity.....

Now I am desperatly attempting to rma the videocard, but it looks grim ......::sighs::

so close to 1337....and yet so far..

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Let's see:

1) shorting out circuits
2) causing inductance
3) voiding your warranty

Sounds like the quintessential hardware enthusiast!
Would have been cool had it worked.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks for trying that, I was gonna but now I see the results. Phew, that's be a busted GF3 and a busted Quadro DCC lol.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe I should post my history of modified cards? Like the i740 with RAM sinks, and a 100MHz clock generator? Or the similarly overcooled Radeon LE, Riva 128ZX, GF2MX, Banshee, and Voodoo 2? Funny, I've never ruined a card with JB-Weld, not even when I've heat cured the cards in the oven!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't know if you've been around long enough to remember the guy (not a THG member) who built his own water blocks for his video card. Beautifully cut, drilled, polished water blocks for the GPU, 4 blocks for the RAM, 1 block per 2 chips. All ready to be installed and tested.

The guy's pet cat knocked the card off the workbench and all the memory chips snapped off the card.

You're not serious about RMA?

I've put RAM heatsinks on two video cards. On one I got a 2 mhz improvement in overclocking the memory. On the other I got no improvement at all. I've decided it's not worth the effort.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Glad to be the guine pig for you guys heh.

You're not serious about RMA?

Im gonna take a blowtorch to the card and claim massive electrical failure, its a long shot but its better than not trying anything.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
may i laugh? ok thanks

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh hah ahhahahah ha ha hahahahhahahhahaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhaah ha hahahah

<b><font color=blue>micheal jackson is cool