Trying to decide which IK build

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I'm building an IK barbarian on the ladder for doing hell hellforge
mule self-rushes. (I teleport around with my sorc, find the
destination, then bring in the IK barb to clear the area of immunes;
wash, rinse, repeat.)

Off ladder, I made a concentrate/bash/bo/macemastery barb with extra
points in shout and single points in the other warcries. He was slow
but effective, even against the diablo clone.

The alternative is a whirlwind barb. I haven't played one since before
LOD first came out, but they have the advantage of not having any
synergies, meaning I could max shout and maybe even battlecommands.
Off ladder, I had a dedicated shout/bo/bc mule, which was very
convenient. I'm concerned about mana burners and overall
effectiveness, however, especially against bosses like mephisto.
Anyone recently make a whirlwind barb and able to offer advice?

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I'm actually not that worried about IM, because I tend to stay away
from the chaos sanctuary and the worldstone keep. I'm more concerned
about the lack of bonus to AR, which I see you remedy with the angelic
parts. Conc would add twice as much AR for the same number of points.
Hmmm....

I still have a few days to decide, because I still have to gather the
mace and helm. So I'll have to think it over some more.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

As far as i know whirlwind itself will be a hassle for you because of all the
Iron Maiden folk so i point in berserk is a must as well as around 10 into
concentrate i'd say, but yeah whirlwind is ridiculous fun just not quite as
effective as it used to be. Although either way with the IK set you wouldnt
have much problems. So what im saying is: IK set
Angelic Amu
Angelic Ring
Ravenfrost

10 into Concentrate
20 into Whirlwind
01 into Berserk
20 into Mace Mastery
20 into Shout
20 into Battle Orders

and whatever else you may fancy...

i couldn't care less if i tried, and i will...

kinquartzhc

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Ok, having thought about it some more and played with the numbers a
little, I'm thinking of going with your point distribution. The
problem is I need to shave 10 points off somewhere, because I doubt
I'll have the fortitude to level him past 80. I'm thinking of dropping
mace mastery to 10 and adding more only if I ever get that far.
(Ordinarily I'd drop shout, but I want maxed bo and maxed shout for
buffing my sorc on my 2nd computer.)

The other alternative is to drop concentrate down to 1 point, max mace
mastery, and only then add anything to conc. Damage is about
comparable, but AR and def take a big hit. On the other hand, this
char is going to do more running than hitting, so I don't know what
benefit he'll be getting from conc's def to begin with.

Maybe I should just try them both out in singleplayer and see what
suits me.

a way round the attack ratting is battle cry i put 1 point in it and its
level 9 though ik set and it does -61 % defence so it does the opisite do
have more attack ratting
"phil" <google@donotcall.cjb.net> wrote in message
> I'm actually not that worried about IM, because I tend to stay away
> from the chaos sanctuary and the worldstone keep. I'm more concerned
> about the lack of bonus to AR, which I see you remedy with the angelic
> parts. Conc would add twice as much AR for the same number of points.
> Hmmm....
>
> I still have a few days to decide, because I still have to gather the
> mace and helm. So I'll have to think it over some more.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Exactly what i was going to say. Just build'em in single player and see
whatever suits your playing style best.

phil wrote:
> I'm building an IK barbarian on the ladder for doing hell hellforge
> mule self-rushes. (I teleport around with my sorc, find the
> destination, then bring in the IK barb to clear the area of immunes;
> wash, rinse, repeat.)
>
> Off ladder, I made a concentrate/bash/bo/macemastery barb with extra
> points in shout and single points in the other warcries. He was slow
> but effective, even against the diablo clone.
>
> The alternative is a whirlwind barb. I haven't played one since before
> LOD first came out, but they have the advantage of not having any
> synergies, meaning I could max shout and maybe even battlecommands.
> Off ladder, I had a dedicated shout/bo/bc mule, which was very
> convenient. I'm concerned about mana burners and overall
> effectiveness, however, especially against bosses like mephisto.
> Anyone recently make a whirlwind barb and able to offer advice?

I made a WW IK barb last ladder season, he had no problems to speak of
most of the game, IM still was a bane, but the only problem with
mephisto in hell is the lack of leech, more for mana than life, so bring
along mana pots. but with the insane mods of the set in 1.10, an IK WW
barb can prosper in hell.

phil wrote:
> I'm actually not that worried about IM, because I tend to stay away
> from the chaos sanctuary and the worldstone keep. I'm more concerned
> about the lack of bonus to AR, which I see you remedy with the angelic
> parts. Conc would add twice as much AR for the same number of points.
> Hmmm....
>
> I still have a few days to decide, because I still have to gather the
> mace and helm. So I'll have to think it over some more.

1.10 IK set gives insane AR bonuses, you can go cheap and do the Angelic
ring/ammy, Ravenfrost and have absolutely no AR issues. with 0 dex.
Stat build would be simple, base dex, base eng, 225 STR, rest in vit.
20 Shout
20 Battle Orders
20 Whirlwind
1 Battle Command
1 Berserk
then of course the prereq pts, and then pts left over wherever you want it.

phil wrote:
> Ok, having thought about it some more and played with the numbers a
> little, I'm thinking of going with your point distribution. The
> problem is I need to shave 10 points off somewhere, because I doubt
> I'll have the fortitude to level him past 80. I'm thinking of dropping
> mace mastery to 10 and adding more only if I ever get that far.
> (Ordinarily I'd drop shout, but I want maxed bo and maxed shout for
> buffing my sorc on my 2nd computer.)
>
> The other alternative is to drop concentrate down to 1 point, max mace
> mastery, and only then add anything to conc. Damage is about
> comparable, but AR and def take a big hit. On the other hand, this
> char is going to do more running than hitting, so I don't know what
> benefit he'll be getting from conc's def to begin with.
>
> Maybe I should just try them both out in singleplayer and see what
> suits me.

see my other post about build pts, after you max out shout bo and WW,
you can max out mace mastery easy. Conc is a 1 pt wonder for a WW barb,
you keep it around for quick mana leech when down to a monster or two
after WW the rest of the pack to death, as needed.