Docking station on a desktop

I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
Thanks for any input.
5 answers Last reply
More about docking station desktop

    If you have a open PCI slot, you could save some money by adding a Parallel and Serial PCI Expansion Card, you will need two open slots in the panel on the back of your PC. You check with your local computer store, or a search at Ebay have them for under 20.00 before shipping. I cannot recommend any of the sellers, so you need to check them out yourself.

    Here are the results for card on Ebay:

    http://search.ebay.com/Parallel-serial-pci_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfposZ48197QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    <RonKZ650@aol.com> wrote in message news:1122485973.209311.106310@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
    special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
    serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
    posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
    computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
    do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
    Thanks for any input.

    Thanks for all the good replys. I bought one of the ebay PCI cards.
    Worth a shot for less than $20.
    Thanks again.

    I'm not aware of any docking stations for desktops.

    You're better off going to Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples or Frys and buying
    USB-parallel and USB-serial converter cables. Of course there are some
    possible pitfalls here. The drivers for your 25-pin parallel or 9-pin serial
    device may refuse to operate through the converter cables. Older and less
    sophisticated devices are most likely to work, whereas newer devices like
    bi-directional printer-scanner-copier are not likely to work or maybe they'll
    only work partially.

    You are seeing the next step in the industry move toward legacy-free systems.
    The first wave were floppy-less systems, altho many Dell models have add-on
    floppy kits. PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports will eventually disappear,too.
    Legacy-free means essentially no parallel, serial, PS/2 ports and no floppy
    diskette drives, with most everything outside the system chassis attached
    through USB 2.0... Ben Myers

    On 27 Jul 2005 10:39:33 -0700, RonKZ650@aol.com wrote:

    >I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
    >special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
    >serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
    >posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
    >computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
    >do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
    >Thanks for any input.

    So right. A PCI parallel/serial card is a far more reliable solution that USB
    conversion cables, which gave me fits the other day when I was hooking up old
    stuff to a Dell notebook without a PCI slot, of course. Same for a docking
    station which connects to a USB port and provides parallel and serial
    interfaces.

    The drivers for whatever devices are attached will recognize the ports on the
    PCI parallel/serial card as true parallel and serial ports, and ought to work
    without a hitch... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:18:39 -0400, "RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote:

    >If you have a open PCI slot, you could save some money by adding a
    >Parallel and Serial PCI Expansion Card, you will need two open slots in
    >the panel on the back of your PC. You check with your local computer
    >store, or a search at Ebay have them for under 20.00 before shipping. I
    >cannot recommend any of the sellers, so you need to check them out
    >yourself.
    >
    >Here are the results for card on Ebay:
    >
    >http://search.ebay.com/Parallel-serial-pci_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcat
    >refZC6QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfpos
    >Z48197QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1
    >
    >--=20
    >
    >Rich/rerat
    >
    >(RRR News) <message rule>
    ><<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
    >

    ><RonKZ650@aol.com> wrote in message =
    >I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
    >special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
    >serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
    >posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
    >computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
    >do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
    >Thanks for any input.

    Dell sell port replicators designed for laptop use they plug into a usb port
    and offer serial, parallel, ps/2, lan ports etc. Its not a full laptop dock
    but does offer the ports you need via usb.

    Here`s a rather long link to one.

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=A0181323&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=5441&first=true&page=productlisting.aspx

    Hope this helps,

    Basill

    > I'm getting a new Dell Dimension 9100 Desktop system. I'm using it with
    > special equipment that needs the 25 pin printer port and the 9 pin
    > serial port which neither port is on this computer. I see numerous
    > posts on docking stations but all seem to be referring to laptop
    > computers. Any recommendations on a docking station for a desktop, or
    > do both systems simply use a USB port. I'm confused.
    > Thanks for any input.

Dell Desktops Computers