Xabre 400 & WinXP probs :( Plese help....

cofrock

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Hi all,

I have just purchased a Triplex Xabre400 Pro card (the one with 64MB, TV-Out & DVI). The problem is, it does not work in my system.... argh :( Basically when I installed the drivers (first from the CD and then trying again later using the latest drivers from SiS), upon rebooting my WinXP system froze as it was going through the usual bootup process (the screen with the Windows XP Professional logo). Upon further attempts, the machine seems to get into the initial desktop graphics mode but the mouse cursor never shows up and the system fails (BSOD).

Here's my system config in more detail: It's an AMD Duron 800 running on a Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 motherboard (with BIOS revision F8). There's 288MB of PC133 RAM in the system and I've taken out all other expansion cards. I previously had an NVidia GeForce installed in the system running Detonators 23.11 and the NVidia Stereo Gaming Drivers v23.11 also. I didn't explicitly uninstall the Detonators before installing the Xabre. When the machine BSOD's, it mentions the file SISGRP ("....most likely caused by the file: SISGRP" or something to that effect).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I haven't gone to the step of reinstalling Windows XP (or even going back to ME) yet and would like to hear of any other people's experiences with the card.

Also, btw I can run WinXP in VGA mode and the Xabre driver seems to be reporting the amount of Video RAM and the type of card correctly. The BIOS revision on the Xabre card itself is (according to Windows) 0.80.

Sorry about the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
This isn't really a problem that can be fixed. It appears to be a Triplex problem, not a Xabre one. Besides I wouldn't buy a Xabre anymore for ethical reasons. Earlier their cards had a "hardware wallhack", which made all 3d rendered images have translucent textures. The technology was called "Eagle-Eye". Not until a petition with 2000 signatures was signed did they remove this, but not without some damage. No one knows if they intentionally put this in to sell graphics cards to people looking to artifically hike up their score in games like Counter-strike, but with so many people working against cheating, it would have been an crushing blow to to the players since software hacks can be detected, whereas hardware hacks cannot.

For more information, read HardOCP.com's review of the card.

TRENDING THREADS