Next ThrowBarb try - which Merc?

Hi,

I've started another ThrowBarb that will be optimized from my first one
(who is level 89 and Patriarch).

Basic skill distribution will be:

Throw Mastery: 20
Axe Mastery: 5+
Double Swing : 20
Double Throw : 1+
Battle Com. : 1+
Battle Orders: 15+
Shout : 5+
Concentrate : 10+
Iron Skin : 1+
Natural Res. : 5+
Frenzy : 1

His main attack will be Double Throw, which could get more points depending
on attack rating. But as I have some nice throwing axes with high AR (about
1500 AR on my other barb), this might not be needed.

I've taken Concentrate as secondary attack, as Double Swing would mean
maxing Bash to get decent damage. For Conc, BO is a synergy, so it serves
double purpose here. Equipped with shield and a nice KingSlayer axe, this
should be a real boss killer.

I've started him at level 33 with the -act5 option and power-levelled him
and rushed him through normal. After 4 hours in nightmare (without the time
for rushing), sometimes enchanted from my Enchantress, he is level 49 now
and just arrived in NM Act2.

So, which merc should I get? I'd like to try a Holy Freeze guy, but the
additional damage from a Might merc nearly doubles total damage.
In Frenzy state and with a winged axe with 30%IAS, I could get down to
4fpa, which means 6 attacks per second. And that could nearly equal or be
better than 4 attacks per second with might merc.

So, if I do a Frenzy attack and then switch to Double Throw, does the speed
bonus and IAS% bonus really carry over?

Oh, and as I always forget it, which are the quests that give the
additional skill and stat/resist points? As he rushed through normal, I
guess he'll have missed them.

Regards,

Oliver

and a HAPPY NEW YEAR...

ps. anybody seen Diablo on a 30inch LCD television? Way coooolll.. And Need
for Speed Underground 2 rocks on this beast..

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've started another ThrowBarb that will be optimized from my first one
> (who is level 89 and Patriarch).
>
> Basic skill distribution will be:
>
> Throw Mastery: 20
> Axe Mastery: 5+
> Double Swing : 20
> Double Throw : 1+
> Battle Com. : 1+
> Battle Orders: 15+
> Shout : 5+
> Concentrate : 10+
> Iron Skin : 1+
> Natural Res. : 5+
> Frenzy : 1
>
> His main attack will be Double Throw, which could get more points
depending
> on attack rating. But as I have some nice throwing axes with high AR
(about
> 1500 AR on my other barb), this might not be needed.

That definitely looks workable.

> I've taken Concentrate as secondary attack, as Double Swing would mean
> maxing Bash to get decent damage. For Conc, BO is a synergy, so it serves
> double purpose here. Equipped with shield and a nice KingSlayer axe, this
> should be a real boss killer.

Sounds fun so far!

> I've started him at level 33 with the -act5 option and power-levelled him
> and rushed him through normal. After 4 hours in nightmare (without the
time
> for rushing), sometimes enchanted from my Enchantress, he is level 49 now
> and just arrived in NM Act2.
>
> So, which merc should I get? I'd like to try a Holy Freeze guy, but the
> additional damage from a Might merc nearly doubles total damage.
> In Frenzy state and with a winged axe with 30%IAS, I could get down to
> 4fpa, which means 6 attacks per second. And that could nearly equal or be
> better than 4 attacks per second with might merc.

I'm partial to Might Mercs, just because I seem to always need the extra
damage since 1.10 was released. HOWEVER, a HF merc would make it safer, and
you wouldn't need to kill everything quite so fast. If you've already tried
a MightyMerc, go ahead with the HF guy.

> So, if I do a Frenzy attack and then switch to Double Throw, does the
speed
> bonus and IAS% bonus really carry over?

Ohyes. If you have a lot of IAS on already you might not notice it as much,
but try it with little or no IAS on and the difference should really stand
out.

> Oh, and as I always forget it, which are the quests that give the
> additional skill and stat/resist points? As he rushed through normal, I
> guess he'll have missed them.

Umm...err........
Den of Evil - skill point
Radament - skill point
Book Quest - stat points
Golden Bird or whatever that is - 20 life
Izzy - skill points

I think that's it.....

short

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a
small world after all, "short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> said:

>"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> Oh, and as I always forget it, which are the quests that give the
>> additional skill and stat/resist points? As he rushed through normal, I
>> guess he'll have missed them.
>>

>Umm...err........
>Den of Evil - skill point
>Radament - skill point
>Book Quest - stat points
>Golden Bird or whatever that is - 20 life
>Izzy - skill points
>
>I think that's it.....

Rescuing Anya gives you resists
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

Hi,

"short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote in

> "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> So, which merc should I get? I'd like to try a Holy Freeze guy, but
>> the additional damage from a Might merc nearly doubles total damage.
>> In Frenzy state and with a winged axe with 30%IAS, I could get down
>> to 4fpa, which means 6 attacks per second. And that could nearly
>> equal or be better than 4 attacks per second with might merc.
>>
> I'm partial to Might Mercs, just because I seem to always need the
> extra damage since 1.10 was released. HOWEVER, a HF merc would make
> it safer, and you wouldn't need to kill everything quite so fast. If
> you've already tried a MightyMerc, go ahead with the HF guy.

well, he is level 57 now and HF merc is keeping up nicely. And the level
16 clay golem from STONE armor is another nice meat shield. Duriel only
killed the golem, but didn't scratch me nor my merc.
I'm currently playing him with /players 6, so levelling really is fast.

>> So, if I do a Frenzy attack and then switch to Double Throw, does the
> speed
>> bonus and IAS% bonus really carry over?
>>
> Ohyes. If you have a lot of IAS on already you might not notice it as
> much, but try it with little or no IAS on and the difference should
> really stand out.

I'll have to adapt to the Frenzy tactic - rush forward to do a Frenzy
attack and fall back and start throwing fast - but this kind of machine-
gun fire should really work nice.

>> Oh, and as I always forget it, which are the quests that give the
>> additional skill and stat/resist points? As he rushed through normal,
>> I guess he'll have missed them.
>>

> Umm...err........
> Den of Evil - skill point
> Radament - skill point
> Book Quest - stat points
> Golden Bird or whatever that is - 20 life
> Izzy - skill points
>
> I think that's it.....

Thanx.

Regards,

Oliver

Hi,

jerk-o <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote in

>>"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
>>> Oh, and as I always forget it, which are the quests that give the
>>> additional skill and stat/resist points? As he rushed through normal,
>>> guess he'll have missed them.
>>>

>>Umm...err........
>>Den of Evil - skill point
>>Radament - skill point
>>Book Quest - stat points
>>Golden Bird or whatever that is - 20 life
>>Izzy - skill points
>>
>>I think that's it.....
>
> Rescuing Anya gives you resists

wouldn't want to miss these <g>