It's been a while... The official "Did you know that...?" ..

Did you know that...

.....mana burn lightning enchanted beetle bosses don't burn mana when
you're hit by the charged bolts, but non-lightning enchanted beetle
bosses do burn mana with the charged bolts they release? Did you know
that in any case, mana burn beetle minions always burn mana with their
charged bolts? [Lightning Enchanted beetles have 2 different charged
bolt attacks. The base one they get just for being a beetle, and the
extra one for being LE. Only the normal bolts (not the boss-bolts) will
burn mana. Beetles, unlike LE monsters, do not emit charged bolts every
time. So if a monster is beetle AND LE, it will release like so: LE,
LE, LE, LE, Normal, LE, LE, LE, etc. The normal ones it releases will
burn mana, but most of the lightning you see is because they're a LE
boss.]

.....concentrate(barbarian), zeal, smite (paladin) attacks give immunity
to Baal's v-shape knockback effect?

.....mercenaries don't get more life with +vitality items because they
don't have any vitality stat, healing with meditation aura through
prayer synergy because they don't have any mana stat?

.....you can see the immunities of minions when you target them with a
"friendly" spell, such as enchant or holy bolt? And for those
characters who don't have specialty skills like Enchant or Holy Bolt,
you can always use the Unsummon skill, which every character has now.

.....you can also use "friendly" spells to distinguish assassins from
their shadow warriors/masters. This might be useful during duels if
they didn't all use Enigma to teleport around and jumble things up.

.....a Necro can use curses to distinguish friend from foe. With 20+
skeletons, it can get downright confusing, especially when the enemies
are also skeletons, and especially if there's a cursed boss around. you
can use Amp Damage, but if you're fighting a cursed monster, you could
switch to Decrepify or Lower Resist, just so that you can tell which
creatures are yours by the curse over their head. Also another use for
Poison Nova/Explosion. Even if you only have 1 point in the skill, it's
useful to tell which monsters are yours - they're the ones that aren't
green. Any act 2 merc has the same effect as well, as do Druid spirits.
(HotW is not just a way to make all your skeletons do more damage, but
it also distinguishes them quite easily from your enemies.) You can
also use cloak of shadows or convictions : no need to aim. Think about
it before trying hacking/prisonning a friendly necro running around in
full TO set - in case he forgot to cast bone armour :)

.....Oak sages get immunity to all damage except magic in normal when
they are under the effect of a salvation aura?

.....An iron golem made out of a high % resist all item can be immune to
every elemental damage thanks to the summon resist skill?

.....magic damage reduced by X and damage reduced by Y bonus take effect
before any resistance is factored, thus become more efficient than
resists when under the effect of a strong curse such as lower
resistances or amplify damage?

.....you can upgrade an ethereal rare dimensional blade into an ethereal
indestructible phase blade with the same stats?

.....the buriza do kyanon now pierces an infinite number of time (was
capped at 5 in 1.09)?

.....an area of effect bow or javelin attack such as immolation arrow,
Lightning fury or Lightning strike now triggers a "chance to cast on
striking" for every monster hit by the elemental effect, even if the
arrow itself missed the attack check?

.....when a paladin gets to use an aura provided by an item, such as
Doom, Azurewrath or Hand of Justice, the aura effects are improved by
its synergies, such as Resist Fire & Salvation for Hand of Justice's
Holy fire, Resist Cold and Salvation for Doom's Holy freeze, Cleansing
for Azurewrath's Sanctuary, and you can stack another aura on top of
that ?

.....whenever you equip two aura-providing items, both auras are in
effect, and if they are of the same kind, their levels stack together?

.....there are still millions of ways to play that are yet to explore,
and that itself justifies our addiction to this game?

.....short only found 2 or 3 new uniques?

.....bows/crossbow which fire Exploding Arrows will do massive area
damage when you cast Enchant on them?

.....in Act 5, when you use a War Cry, paladin or druid aura and those
AI barbarians are nearby, the effect applies to them as well? This
includes the aura-type effects sported by your minions!

.....life boni of mercenaries are bugged, making them lose the "bonus
life" whenever they level up (can mean losing half of life or more
when boosted by high-level battle order and the like)?

.....mercenaries may "turn invisible" when you get so far away from
them that they "teleport" to your location or switch to idle[1]? They
will no longer be attacked in melee, which is useful for ranged
mercenaries, but may force a save&reload when you depend on a tanking
merc.
[1] an "idle" mercenary completely stops acting, and will be entirely
ignored by monsters. He won't provide an aura any longer, either;
he'll only re-activate if you teleport, use a tp/waypoint or use
down-/upstairs.

.....if you want to save time, you can sell the 4 (or any number less
than 12) keys you have to someone (like Charsi) that does not normally
sell them and they will transform into 12 keys? The same goes for tomes
(tp and identify), arrows and bolts. This can save you the time going
to Akara (or whoever) if you are not worried about the piddling amount
of money involved.

.....if you want to save time, you can completely fill your available
slots by shift-right clicking...
_a potion in a shop -> fills your free belt rows with pots of the type
you clicked ?
_a scroll in a shop -> fills the appropriate tome with scrolls of the
type you clicked ?

.....you can set a TP on a hot key, have several TP scroll books, one
with the character, one in the stash, and if you open a TP via hotkey,
the scroll is not subtracted from the book in your character's
inventory, but from the book in the stash?

.....Shift+Left Click moves potions from your inventory to the slot(s)
on your belt. It has
to be done for each potion, though. But it does save clicking and
dragging.

.....while smite will apply certain weapon modifiers like
crushing blow and freezes target, it doesn't apply others like deadly
strike or the weapon's elemental damage? Since an enchantment only
adds elemental damage to your weapon, an enchanted smiter doesn't do
any extra damage than usual. But just the same, the enchanted smite
damage listed in the character screen will be displayed in red text.

.....if you throw your cube to the ground, its contents will be put into
your inventory (if there's enough room). This is quite useful if you
found
and stored 12 gems during adventuring, and you want to move them to
your
stash.

.....Of course every time you do this, Act 2 Cain will want to tell you
again how much of an incredible treasure you have in that Horadric
Cube...

.....you can kill the leaping barb right next to the main title of the
Arreat Summit webpage by clicking on him?

.....you can add tips and "did you know that..."s to this list
endlessly?
25 answers Last reply
More about while official that

    Babe Bridou wrote:
> [...]
    > any extra damage than usual. But just the same, the enchanted smite
    > damage listed in the character screen will be displayed in red text.
    >
    > ....if you throw your cube to the ground, its contents will be put
    into
    > your inventory (if there's enough room). This is quite useful if you
    > found
    > and stored 12 gems during adventuring, and you want to move them to
    > your
    > stash.
    >
    > ....Of course every time you do this, Act 2 Cain will want to tell
    you
    > again how much of an incredible treasure you have in that Horadric
    > Cube...
    >
    > ....you can kill the leaping barb right next to the main title of the
    > Arreat Summit webpage by clicking on him?
    >
    > ....you can add tips and "did you know that..."s to this list

    .....that all elemental damage sources(charms,jewels,belt etc)are
    added to Shadow warriors attack?

    keith wrote:
    > Babe Bridou wrote:
    > > Did you know that...
    > ....that all elemental damage sources(charms,jewels,belt etc)are
    > added to Shadow warriors attack?

    Wow that one is huge!

    How strong can the shadow warrior's blade shield be thanks to this tip?

    Did you know that sorceresses can quickly enter a tp while in town by
    using telekinesis on it from a distance? Sadly, this does not work
    outside town where one might hope to escape quickly from battle.

    <snip>

    > ....town portal tomes work when kept inside the cube inside your stash
    > ? Assign a shortcut, put tome into cube , keep cube in stash. The next
    > game you enter, do NOT open your stash and TP will be available from
    > there, anywhere in the game. Frees 2 more spaces for charms :)

    Just curious....does that also work with ID tome?

    phil wrote:
    > Did you know that sorceresses can quickly enter a tp while in town by
    > using telekinesis on it from a distance? Sadly, this does not work
    > outside town where one might hope to escape quickly from battle.

    Nope, but it works everywhere on waypoints.

    And it's actually the fastest way to run Pindle, eldritch or shenk.
    (oops, I just gave birth to a new generation of bots...:)

    In article <1104745357.625890.267830@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Babe
    Bridou (babebridou@hotmail.com) dropped a +5 bundle of words...

> [...]
    > adds elemental damage to your weapon, an enchanted smiter doesn't do
    > any extra damage than usual. But just the same, the enchanted smite
    > damage listed in the character screen will be displayed in red text.
    >
    > ....if you throw your cube to the ground, its contents will be put into
    > your inventory (if there's enough room). This is quite useful if you
    > found
    > and stored 12 gems during adventuring, and you want to move them to
    > your
    > stash.
    >
    > ....Of course every time you do this, Act 2 Cain will want to tell you
    > again how much of an incredible treasure you have in that Horadric
    > Cube...
    >
    > ....you can kill the leaping barb right next to the main title of the
    > Arreat Summit webpage by clicking on him?
    >
    > ....you can add tips and "did you know that..."s to this list

    .... you can slow down charged bolts thrown your way by using the
    amazon's slow missles. This is useful because it takes the teeth out of
    it and makes the bolt attack easier to survive.

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    Babe Bridou wrote:
    > Did you know that...
    >
    > ....mana burn lightning enchanted beetle bosses don't burn mana when
    > you're hit by the charged bolts, but non-lightning enchanted beetle
    > bosses do burn mana with the charged bolts they release? Did you know
    > that in any case, mana burn beetle minions always burn mana with their
    > charged bolts? [Lightning Enchanted beetles have 2 different charged
    > bolt attacks. The base one they get just for being a beetle, and the
    > extra one for being LE. Only the normal bolts (not the boss-bolts) will
    > burn mana. Beetles, unlike LE monsters, do not emit charged bolts every
    > time. So if a monster is beetle AND LE, it will release like so: LE,
    > LE, LE, LE, Normal, LE, LE, LE, etc. The normal ones it releases will
    > burn mana, but most of the lightning you see is because they're a LE
    > boss.]
    >
    > ....concentrate(barbarian), zeal, smite (paladin) attacks give immunity
    > to Baal's v-shape knockback effect?

    So does an amazon's strafe.

    On that special day, Babe Bridou, (babebridou@hotmail.com) said...

    > ....bows/crossbow which fire Exploding Arrows will do massive area
    > damage when you cast Enchant on them?

    Sounds good, but is no help against those dang Carvers yesterday evening
    in the Black Marsh, who had a boss Shaman, that revived the other
    Shamen; and I wonder why I have to kill an endless number of revived
    Carvers, even after the Shamans were dead. NOT.

    And no, Bishibosh hadn't moved, that Boss had a different name.

    > ....you can kill the leaping barb right next to the main title of the
    > Arreat Summit webpage by clicking on him?

    The only thing I heard, was a "thank you". Maybe he likes to be tickled
    by women.

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.

    "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Did you know that...

    .... Babe has no life.

    (sorry, it had to be said. :P )

    --
    The tired, yet playful Saber

    Saber wrote:
    > "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did you know that...
    >>

    > .... Babe has no life.
    >
    > (sorry, it had to be said. :P )
    >
    > --
    > The tired, yet playful Saber

    Gee, Saber, let me be a no-lifer from time to time, it's relieving when
    life becomes too serious for too long :P

    "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Did you know that...
    >
    >....mana burn lightning enchanted beetle bosses don't burn mana when
    >you're hit by the charged bolts, but non-lightning enchanted beetle
    >bosses do burn mana with the charged bolts they release? Did you know
    >that in any case, mana burn beetle minions always burn mana with their
    >charged bolts? [Lightning Enchanted beetles have 2 different charged
    >bolt attacks. The base one they get just for being a beetle, and the
    >extra one for being LE. Only the normal bolts (not the boss-bolts) will
    >burn mana. Beetles, unlike LE monsters, do not emit charged bolts every
    >time. So if a monster is beetle AND LE, it will release like so: LE,
    >LE, LE, LE, Normal, LE, LE, LE, etc. The normal ones it releases will
    >burn mana, but most of the lightning you see is because they're a LE
    >boss.]

    Hehe, being somewhat old and slow *g*, these ones took my lvl77 frenzy
    barb yesterday down in the Maggot Lair. It was a room full of beetles
    surrounding a boss (cannot remember his stats, eh, theirs? even don't
    know if there were two of them). I couldn't jump nor whirlwind out of
    the situation anymore, and thanks to my slowness the barb was dead in
    a second.
    The party I played with (Stefan, Minuska and two guys I made friends
    with during the last two weeks) cleared the area, looted my stuff, and
    I was happy again to see my gear was safe; except for the "+3 to
    strength, +5 to allres" small charm and a skiller of Combat Mastery
    with +23 life... not to mention the homunkulus and ume's lament in my
    stash (again didn't follow the "mule before" rule), but finally it's a
    game, no? :D

    The barb was sort of an experiment, as it was my first hc ladder barb
    ever. I wanted to use swords, because I had some nice phase blades in
    my stash for months, and I thought it was time to use them. And I
    like phase blades very much, just because of the "who cares for
    repairs" feature. :-)
    Crescent Moon and Voice of Reason then really rocked with that frenzy
    barb, as every second hit of his frenzy smashing casted either Chain
    Lightning (lvl17), Static Field (13), Frozen Orb (lvl13) or Ice Blast
    (20).
    On switch I used the IK hammer (helm and belt was on the char, too) to
    have an adequate answer to Iron Maiden in the Chaos Sanctuary and the
    Worldstone Keep, but because of no points in Mace Mastery the killing
    was sort of slow.
    Question: How do you sword-only barbs use stats and skill points, and
    most of all which weapons do you use to do effective damage in hell?

    >Did you know that...

    ....you can be passed by others chars in the Maggot Lair without them
    having to use Leap/Whirlwind or Teleport? In a corridor just move
    into the next corner, and other chars can move to the front leaving
    you in the background.

    J:
    NP: -
    --
    http://here.is/ripley/ *4therecords.HCEurope

    Starshine Moonbeam <silverbells@tacoshells.com> wrote:

    [snip]
    >... you can slow down charged bolts thrown your way by using the
    >amazon's slow missles. This is useful because it takes the teeth out of
    >it and makes the bolt attack easier to survive.

    They aren't only slown down to 1/3, they also fly a significantly
    smaller distance (1/3, too, of the normal distance? don't know
    exactly). Very effective against beetles and LE bosses.

    J:
    NP: -
    --
    http://here.is/ripley/ *4therecords.HCEurope

    In article <i34lt0pc8kc7f1jnp53figgd2cs297f8hu@4ax.com>, Joerg Frey
    (zyn@gmx.net) dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > Starshine Moonbeam <silverbells@tacoshells.com> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    > >... you can slow down charged bolts thrown your way by using the
    > >amazon's slow missles. This is useful because it takes the teeth out of
    > >it and makes the bolt attack easier to survive.
    >
    > They aren't only slown down to 1/3, they also fly a significantly
    > smaller distance (1/3, too, of the normal distance? don't know
    > exactly). Very effective against beetles and LE bosses.

    Now that you mention it, the range does go down but I don't know the
    exact amount either.

    --

    > Saber wrote:
    > > "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Did you know that...
    > >>

    > > .... Babe has no life.
    > >
    > > (sorry, it had to be said. :P )
    > >
    > > --
    > > The tired, yet playful Saber
    > >

    > Gee, Saber, let me be a no-lifer from time to time, it's relieving when
    > life becomes too serious for too long :P

    i never said having no life is a bad thing, i just said u had no life.
    having no life can be fun at times. :)

    --
    Saber (too brain-dead to think of a descriptive word)

    Saber wrote:
    > "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Saber wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>.... Babe has no life.
    >>>
    >>>(sorry, it had to be said. :P )
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>The tired, yet playful Saber
    >>>

    >>Gee, Saber, let me be a no-lifer from time to time, it's relieving when
    >>life becomes too serious for too long :P
    >

    > i never said having no life is a bad thing, i just said u had no life.
    > having no life can be fun at times. :)
    >
    > --
    > Saber (too brain-dead to think of a descriptive word)

    I don't know what to say, except that my life has been seriously
    knocking at the door lately. Maybe I'll just open now, who knows?

    Babe Bridou wrote:
> [...]
    > adds elemental damage to your weapon, an enchanted smiter doesn't do
    > any extra damage than usual. But just the same, the enchanted smite
    > damage listed in the character screen will be displayed in red text.
    >
    > ....if you throw your cube to the ground, its contents will be put into
    > your inventory (if there's enough room). This is quite useful if you
    > found
    > and stored 12 gems during adventuring, and you want to move them to
    > your
    > stash.
    >
    > ....Of course every time you do this, Act 2 Cain will want to tell you
    > again how much of an incredible treasure you have in that Horadric
    > Cube...
    >
    > ....you can kill the leaping barb right next to the main title of the
    > Arreat Summit webpage by clicking on him?
    >
    > ....you can add tips and "did you know that..."s to this list

    .....you can negate Delirium if you have a Beast item. When you're a
    bonehead, you can still take on were-form and then morph back to human
    form. It's buggy though. If a paladin does this process just once, he
    won't be able to charge. Haven't looked for any other bugs. Just
    transform back and forth twice in a row to avoid the bugginess.

    On 3-Jan-2005, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > ....If you ever talk to cain to ID stuff, and he insists upon rambling
    > on and on about some unfinished quest stuff, you can just press "I"
    > while he is speaking and he will do the ID task and you can go on about
    > your business.

    Umm... this did/does not work for me in SP. Are you running some 3rd party
    script or something?

    Also, did you know that an assasins 'fade' spell, while shortening the
    amount of time that you are cursed by opponents ALSO shortens the time that
    certain time limited shrines effects affect you, specifically experience and
    skill shrines for sure, I never bother with those stamina shrines as I so
    seldom run anywhere (us old farts prefer to walk and take out time, eh?).
    So, anywhay, be sure to cast Burst of Speed or something to cancel Fade
    before touching those shrines.
    --
    Don't Panic!

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:46:18 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
    wrote:

    >On 3-Jan-2005, "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> ....If you ever talk to cain to ID stuff, and he insists upon rambling
    >> on and on about some unfinished quest stuff, you can just press "I"
    >> while he is speaking and he will do the ID task and you can go on about
    >> your business.
    >
    >Umm... this did/does not work for me in SP. Are you running some 3rd party
    >script or something?

    Thanks, now I don't have to search for the original post ;-) I haven't
    been able to get it to work in SP, either.

    ald