Setting Up Wireless Network using NAT From Earthlink

I just got an external Netopia DSL modem from Earthlink.
The address of the Admin and connect browser page is 172.16.0.254.
I have a WRT54G wireless router. The address of the Admin browser page is
192.168.1.1 ... two different networks.

What I would like to do is to connect through the DSL modem (get address via
DHCP and set up routing) and then use NAT for my computers on the
192.168.1.0 private network to access the Internet.

I have tried changing my 192 private network to the 172 network with no
luck.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,
Dale Richards
daler@mindspring.com
4 answers Last reply
More about setting wireless network earthlink

    Simply plug the dsl modem into the wan port of the router, and plug all the
    pc's into the lan port / use wireless.

    It will all work. The WAN port will have the DSL address.

    "Dale Richards" <daler@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > I just got an external Netopia DSL modem from Earthlink.
    > The address of the Admin and connect browser page is 172.16.0.254.
    > I have a WRT54G wireless router. The address of the Admin browser page is
    > 192.168.1.1 ... two different networks.
    >
    > What I would like to do is to connect through the DSL modem (get address
    via
    > DHCP and set up routing) and then use NAT for my computers on the
    > 192.168.1.0 private network to access the Internet.
    >
    > I have tried changing my 192 private network to the 172 network with no
    > luck.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Dale Richards
    > daler@mindspring.com

    Jim is correct. The DSL link is supposed to be a separate network from your
    LAN. The way that you know that they are separate networks is because the
    router is in between (using the WAN port). If you don't use the WAN
    interface, then you aren't really using a router. Don't forget, a "wireless
    router" is really 3 devices in one box: router, Ethernet switch, wireless
    Access Point.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Jim Orfanakos" <jim@-nospam-orfanakos.com> wrote in message
    > Simply plug the dsl modem into the wan port of the router, and plug all
    the
    > pc's into the lan port / use wireless.
    >
    > It will all work. The WAN port will have the DSL address.
    >

    > "Dale Richards" <daler@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > I just got an external Netopia DSL modem from Earthlink.
    > > The address of the Admin and connect browser page is 172.16.0.254.
    > > I have a WRT54G wireless router. The address of the Admin browser page
    is
    > > 192.168.1.1 ... two different networks.
    > >
    > > What I would like to do is to connect through the DSL modem (get address
    > via
    > > DHCP and set up routing) and then use NAT for my computers on the
    > > 192.168.1.0 private network to access the Internet.
    > >
    > > I have tried changing my 192 private network to the 172 network with no
    > > luck.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > > Dale Richards
    > > daler@mindspring.com

    Thanks!!!

    It's working fine now.

    /Dale
    "Jim Orfanakos" <jim@-nospam-orfanakos.com> wrote in message
    > Simply plug the dsl modem into the wan port of the router, and plug all
    the
    > pc's into the lan port / use wireless.
    >
    > It will all work. The WAN port will have the DSL address.
    >

    > "Dale Richards" <daler@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > I just got an external Netopia DSL modem from Earthlink.
    > > The address of the Admin and connect browser page is 172.16.0.254.
    > > I have a WRT54G wireless router. The address of the Admin browser page
    is
    > > 192.168.1.1 ... two different networks.
    > >
    > > What I would like to do is to connect through the DSL modem (get address
    > via
    > > DHCP and set up routing) and then use NAT for my computers on the
    > > 192.168.1.0 private network to access the Internet.
    > >
    > > I have tried changing my 192 private network to the 172 network with no
    > > luck.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > > Dale Richards
    > > daler@mindspring.com

    I am assuming that Earthlink is your ISP and you have DSL service with
    them thus the reason for the DSL modem. If so, providing I didn't
    misread your post, all you have to do is follow the directions from
    your router's manual in reference to connecting the modem to the
    router. DHCP is more than likely already enabled in your router's
    menu. The router, in itself, is a NAT device and any computer
    connected to it via ethernet cable will be somewhat protected. In
    order for your wireless devices to be transmit privately, you'll need
    to enable WEP or WPA. Also, If you're not going to enable file and
    print sharing, then you really have nothing to worry about. If you
    are going to enable file and print sharing, be sure to uncheck the
    file and print sharing box under TCP/IP. In this manner, you'll be
    using NETBIEU for file and print sharing and TCP/IP for internet
    access. In reference to changing your 192.xxx.xxx.xxx to an IP
    starting with 172, I'm not sure you can do that. I know you can
    change the last six numbers. For instance, 192.168.200.159. Anyway,
    I hope I answered your questions. If I misread your post, I
    apologize.

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:22:35 GMT, "Dale Richards"
    <daler@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >I just got an external Netopia DSL modem from Earthlink.
    >The address of the Admin and connect browser page is 172.16.0.254.
    >I have a WRT54G wireless router. The address of the Admin browser page is
    >192.168.1.1 ... two different networks.
    >
    >What I would like to do is to connect through the DSL modem (get address via
    >DHCP and set up routing) and then use NAT for my computers on the
    >192.168.1.0 private network to access the Internet.
    >
    >I have tried changing my 192 private network to the 172 network with no
    >luck.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >Dale Richards