pure virtual function errors with XPS 5

Anyone else seen any "pure virtual function" errors with dual core HT Dell
pentiums?

New XPS 5 with 3.2GHz HT has triggered some of these errors when running
Photoshop CS (not CS2) and Outlook Express.
I suspect it's related to threads not syncronizing with the dual cores or
with HT. (Although I've never seen the problem with single core HT pentiums)

Dual core and HT are mutually exclusive. Which do you have ?

- NuTs

"Ned Hamilton" <noone@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Anyone else seen any "pure virtual function" errors with dual core HT Dell
> pentiums?
>
> New XPS 5 with 3.2GHz HT has triggered some of these errors when running
> Photoshop CS (not CS2) and Outlook Express.
> I suspect it's related to threads not syncronizing with the dual cores or
> with HT. (Although I've never seen the problem with single core HT
> pentiums)

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:03:19 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "NuTCrAcKeR"
<nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:

>Dual core and HT are mutually exclusive. Which do you have ?

??? They are not mutually exclusive: at least one of Intel's chips has
both. It's available as an option for the Dimension XPS Gen 5.

I think the CPU is called Extreme Edition or something like that. Look on
Dell's web site, or check hardware review sites.

Dual core and Hyperthreading; also overclockable.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:03:19 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "NuTCrAcKeR"
> <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
>
>>Dual core and HT are mutually exclusive. Which do you have ?
>
> ??? They are not mutually exclusive: at least one of Intel's chips has
> both. It's available as an option for the Dimension XPS Gen 5.
>
> I think the CPU is called Extreme Edition or something like that. Look on
> Dell's web site, or check hardware review sites.
>
> Dual core and Hyperthreading; also overclockable.
>
> --
> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

They do appear to be mutually exclusive; it's either a D chip or a non-D
with hyperthreading. To do otherwise would be redundant:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?

Cut and paste if the link doesn't hold.

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message
>>
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:03:19 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,
>> "NuTCrAcKeR"
>> <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Dual core and HT are mutually exclusive. Which do you have ?
>>
>> ??? They are not mutually exclusive: at least one of Intel's chips has
>> both. It's available as an option for the Dimension XPS Gen 5.
>>
>> I think the CPU is called Extreme Edition or something like that. Look
>> on
>> Dell's web site, or check hardware review sites.
>>
>> Dual core and Hyperthreading; also overclockable.
>>
>> --
>> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
>

> They do appear to be mutually exclusive; it's either a D chip or a non-D
> with hyperthreading. To do otherwise would be redundant:
>
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?
>
> Cut and paste if the link doesn't hold.
>

> Stew

Link didn't work. Showed all XPS CPU choices, and the D cores starting
where the HT chips ended. No CPU listing both.

Stew

Both HT and dual core. 4 processors show up in Task Manager.
What planet have you been living on?

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> Dual core and HT are mutually exclusive. Which do you have ?
>
> - NuTs
>
> "Ned Hamilton" <noone@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone else seen any "pure virtual function" errors with dual core HT
>> Dell pentiums?
>>
>> New XPS 5 with 3.2GHz HT has triggered some of these errors when running
>> Photoshop CS (not CS2) and Outlook Express.
>> I suspect it's related to threads not syncronizing with the dual cores or
>> with HT. (Although I've never seen the problem with single core HT
>> pentiums)

a planet that doesnt have a budget for an EE chip ...

> Both HT and dual core. 4 processors show up in Task Manager.
> What planet have you been living on?
>
> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>> Dual core and HT are mutually exclusive. Which do you have ?
>>
>> - NuTs
>>
>> "Ned Hamilton" <noone@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone else seen any "pure virtual function" errors with dual core HT
>>> Dell pentiums?
>>>
>>> New XPS 5 with 3.2GHz HT has triggered some of these errors when running
>>> Photoshop CS (not CS2) and Outlook Express.
>>> I suspect it's related to threads not syncronizing with the dual cores
>>> or with HT. (Although I've never seen the problem with single core HT
>>> pentiums)

I believe that must be the Extreme Edition chip
"Ned Hamilton" <noone@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Both HT and dual core. 4 processors show up in Task Manager.
> What planet have you been living on?
>
> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>> Dual core and HT are mutually exclusive. Which do you have ?
>>
>> - NuTs
>>
>> "Ned Hamilton" <noone@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone else seen any "pure virtual function" errors with dual core HT
>>> Dell pentiums?
>>>
>>> New XPS 5 with 3.2GHz HT has triggered some of these errors when running
>>> Photoshop CS (not CS2) and Outlook Express.
>>> I suspect it's related to threads not syncronizing with the dual cores
>>> or with HT. (Although I've never seen the problem with single core HT
>>> pentiums)

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:15:36 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

>Link didn't work. Showed all XPS CPU choices, and the D cores starting
>where the HT chips ended. No CPU listing both.

From the 'Customize it' for a Dimension XPS Gen 5:

Pentium® Extreme Edition Dual Core w/ HT Tech (3.20GHz, 800FSB)

Just put that in another thread below this one a little earlier today. That
was copy and pasted from Dell's site a little earlier today. Same thing was
there a few weeks ago when I was customizing the XPS 5 I'm using now.

Dual core and hyperthreading, at 3.2Ghz, which is what the original poster
mentioned.

I agree the Pentium D is strictly dual core with no Hyperthreading, but
neither of the two people I was responding to mentioned a Pentium D.

Whether or not the OP actually has the Extreme Edition I can't say, but the
chip described certainly does exist and is available as an XPS 5 option.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.