Sign in with
Your question

Right click menu freezes.

Last response: in Windows XP
January 8, 2004 3:51:48 AM

I'm running Win XP Pro. My right click menu has started to freeze my system up and takes about 15 secs to appear. I've never run into this before. Any suggestions?
Tia
Gary
Specs are:Athlon XP Barton 2500+
A7N8X Deluxe MB
1 Gb OCZ Dual Channel DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Leadtek WinFast 2000 XP TV Tuner
Seagate 160 G. SATA
LG 4040 DVD
Klipsch Promedia 2.1

More about : click menu freezes

January 8, 2004 5:27:19 AM

[-peep-]! Same thing started happening to me. In addition, when I start the PC, explorer.exe doesn't seem to respond. Feels like a trojan. It also disabled my firewall and antivirus software. However, when I scanned for trojans and viruses with NAV, nothing was found. Hmmm ... I'm a little pissed off ... but if I find out what's wrong, I'll let you know.
January 8, 2004 8:25:53 PM

A couple of updates ...

Turns out it only disables my firewall, not antivirus. These are the scans I performed:

adware: none found
viruses: none found
trojans: none found, BUT is said that I had an open port (#5000), which is a trojan port. It said that the possible trojan is "Blazer 5."

How do I close this port? Seems like the firewall is not doing it, it usually stealths them.

Also, if I cut off the internet connection to the PC (connected via PCMCIA card), this problem of explorer freezing up goes away. But as soon as I enable it, it comes back.

Have too many files and settings on the PC, wouldn't want to reformat. Also, is it safe connecting this PC to a router and tranferering files to another computer, will it infect it?
Related resources
January 8, 2004 9:30:29 PM

I too recently started having this problem. My computer takes much longer to boot. It hangs with a black screen after the windows xp splash screen. The right click menus also take longer than they should. Don't know if this is Xp or something to do with Norton AV and Internet security. Any ideas?
January 9, 2004 1:10:39 AM

Hopefully it's not too early to report good news...I just uninstalled again (approx. 7 PM MST), wiped out all Symantec/Norton related files and folders and reinstalled. Ran Live Update and it seems to be ok now. Maybe there was a fix included in the updates.
Gary
January 9, 2004 4:29:49 AM

Check to see if the SSDP Discovery Service is running. You have to disable this service as well, as it is part of UPnP.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
January 9, 2004 2:07:15 PM

Run a virus scan and get spybot to run. Otherwise could be a system hose, defrag lately?

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)
!