Non-gamer Graphics card???

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
I've read through the posts on this board and many others. I am still undecided as to which card to get. The matrox G450, ATI 7500/8500 or ATI 32MG DDR. I have to admit I haven't done my homework very well on this one.

Priorities in this order are:
1. Win XP driver stability (redraw problems are ok, crashes would not be)
2. Photoshop for home use
3. Best 2D performance available balanced with stability

My set up coming from Egghead is:
ABIT IT7
P4 1.8A
DDR2700 (outside says Samsung. I hope it is true Samsung)
WD special editing 8mb 80G
Enermax 431 PSU
TDK CDRW velo 40x
Using sound on the mobo (hope it's good enough for now)

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
why not get a tnt2 if your're not going to be using it for games? it's pretty cheap and works pretty well for a non game system.

Save the trees.. wipe your ass with an owl.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
The TNT2 doesn't have the 2D capabilities of a Matrox. The G450 sounds perfect for your use. It has a clean output as well as an excellent 2D processor, both of which are important for a good final image on your screen.

Finally, Matrox has some very solid drivers. Crashes are nonexistent. Matrox fills the perfect market niche for you. If only we could get businesses to stop buying Geforce 4's and get cheap Matrox cards. Not only could they reduce eyestrain, but they could also save a ton of money.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

srg

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
Indeed

I am not a gamer and have been using a Matrox G400 Dual Head for nealy two years now. If your not a gamer then Matrox is, in my oppinion, the only way to go because of the 2D Performance and the Picture Quality.

Steven Graham

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Thanks for the fast feedback.

I don't know anything about the TNT2. And having had to investigate all of the other parts on this computer has worn me out! So I will have to pass on that suggestion.

It does suck that companies won't spend a little more to buy a 2D card. I am using my brother's Dell with an NVidia and it's the worst for 2D. Off topic but, the fan in his 8200 is so loud even when it's in sleep mode.

Well I'm off to purchase the Matrox G450! Hope to find it cheap since I'm over budget and out of work!

-Steve

Callius

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Why not consider the new ATI Radeon 9000 (Pro). Great price in comparison to Matrox old Gxxx cards it seems. Don't know much about their 2D quality or driver stability though...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Never actually seen a Matrox but they have a rep for the best 2D.

If you can still find a Radeon DDR or Radeon LE they would make a nice budget choice, $50 or less.

If budget is not a problem how about some extra flexibility with the Radeon 7500 All-in-Wonder or an 8500DV both with VIVO functions, TV tuning, TiVo-like functionality, hardware Mpeg-2 decoding?

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
OK so which one do you settle on?

Looks like Compusa has
32 MB DDR ATI-7000 card for $30 after rebates (Not sure they have this available anymore)
64 MB DDR ATI-7000 for $70
64 MB DDR ATI-7500 for $90

then Circuit City has the
ATI 8500DV for $150 after rebates. Not sure I would even use half the features on this one. Except for video. But, then I would have to start using my video camera and learning editing software and such.

Advice please.
THANKS!!!!!!

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd suggest an OEM Radeon 32 SDR with TV out. I've got that exact card and there no difference in the 2D performance (and negligible 3D performance difference) between the SDR and DDR versions. And it's cheaper. I'm not sure where you live but here in Toronto (ATI-ville) you can pick them up for ~CDN$60 which would make it about ~US$40.

If you can't get an OEM card anywhere then I would say <A HREF="http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=290263" target="_new">http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=290263</A> is your best bet.

- JW

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
The 32MB one is probably good enough for you. But don't trust rebates. They get lost, you have to call them up, they tell you to send another rebate in, it gets "lost" again, finally after 2 years you give up. Or, if the rebate DOES work you get a check in the mail at least 6 months later if not longer.

If you don't need dual monitor support then go with ATi, it's probably just as good as the Matrox (same price too) and has extra functions to boot. Such as great DVD playback & quality, decent 3D graphics (for 3D screensavers and the like) and decent TV out.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Oh you mean like the $120 worth of rebate checks from Amazon.com that I didn't cash in time? Rebates are a pain in the neck.

The only card they had left was the Radeon 7000 32MB (I think it used to be called the VE). I hope it works especially since it was only $30 US - with rebates. This will be the cheapest component in my setup!

Then later on I can upgrade if/when Matrox updates the 450.

THANKS again!!!
Stay tuned for my building saga.