OOHH!!! ATI IS GIVES NVIDIA A LEFT HOOK!!!

jamdev12

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Now this is what I call innovation thru competition. I still remember 3Dfx. How they just sat on their a$$es and thought the market was going to settle for the cheesy and most popular. In the graphics industry numbers gets you the popularity. ATi has definitely given the market a big boost with this intro. I was imagining that nVidia was going to dominate, but this clearly shows me that in the meantime while nVidia enjoyed its delightful head start ATi engineers were hard at work in a secret project to suprise nVidia and right in their own back yard no less.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU NVIDIA FOR DRIVING ATI TO DO THEIR BEST TO DETHROWN YOU. NOW IS NVIDIA'S TURN TO MAKE SURE ATI LEARNS A LESSON OR 2 FROM THE KING OF THE JUNGLE IN THE SUPERIOR 3D GRAPHICS CARD ARENA.

PLEASE ATI DO NOT LET IT STOP THERE. WE LOVE THE COMPETITION AND THE MORE THE BETTER FOR US WHO WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY.

ENOUGH SAID

My name may be Jesus, but don't go around asking for miracles.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL

YOU!!! SOUND!!! LIKE!!! AMDMELTDOWN!!! WITH!!! ALL!!! YOUR!!! EXCLIMATION!!! MARKS!!!

Take a chill pill man.

Ego: Check
Rose hued glasses: Check
Fanboy Button: Check
CPU forum, here i come! :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I remember a few years ago when I got my TNT2 everyone said "No, get the 3DFX, it's better"!. Oh, and when I built my AMD K6-III 450 system everyone said "Get a PII 300, it's better". Oh, and now I tell everyone I'm trying to get a P4 1.8A at 2.4 system together, they say "No, get an AMD, it's faster". Proving that the majority is usually wrong.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

hawki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
ok first of all calm down. Secondly, the GeForce 4 cards have dominated the market since their introduction several months ago. ATI hasn't even come close with anything until now and even their new 9700 still has a month or two to go.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Oh, and when I built my AMD K6-III 450 system everyone said "Get a PIII 300, it's better".
lol...i didnt know PIII went as low as 300mhz :smile:

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah....they sat on their asses...guess they pulled the gf5 out of their asses. Cool, so that's how some vid cards are made..... dude, chill down, we have no idea how gf5 will compare; it may crush it, be equal, or be worse. Wait before stating that the market is now owned.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
understandable mistake.

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
sh!t those ATI's will come out in a month or so and then I bet by christmas or earlier the next nvidia will come out and smack it's bitch up (ATI being it's bitch)... nvidia won't give in that easy and its no rumour that nvidia is coming out with it's next core soon.

But I like to see competition, it brings down prices! GeForce4's and 8500's will slip even more in price. Both are good cards until next years games come out and by then the next nvidia's and 9700's will be cheaper too!

"Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one"

ICFire

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
Well ATI has definitely give nVidia a shot no matter how you slice it.

The current difference between the GF4Ti4600 and the ATI 9700 is the difference between a GF3 and a 4600. That is significant.

I read (and it may have been here on Tom's) using the 3DMark bench with anthio full, high res, FSSA x4, etc...the benchmark for a Ti4600 was = ~4500 3DMarks and the ATI garnered ~10,000 3DMarks.

That's a BIG gap. Not even the 4600 doubled the GF3 performance.

fyi - I own a VisionTek GF3.

ICFire

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
That's a BIG gap. Not even the 4600 doubled the GF3 performance.
With everything turned on my oced gf3 pure(230/530) scored around 4k, my overclocked ti4200 with everthing turned on scored 7800, not 100% but a damn fine increase for a simple core revision.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
More accurate would be, since the Ti4600 is the "ultra" version of the GF4 chipset, to compare the Ti4600 to the Ti500. In this case, the Ti4600 can come up to 45% faster in some benchmarks. Impressive but still not double like we see here. Maybe it is all hub-bub, but real numbers are pretty exciting for hardware, and I think the real perpetrator of this fact is that so much hardware over the years promises people of fast speeds but never delivers. And people are still embittered by the Geforce 2 gts and Geforce 3 era when speed increases were very minimal or nonexistent.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
With everything turned on my oced gf3 pure(230/530) scored around 4k, my overclocked ti4200 with everthing turned on scored 7800, not 100% but a damn fine increase for a simple core revision.
Matisaro, now I trust you, but that GF3 score sounds fishy. I've never seen a GF3 score less than 6K, at least on a decent processor.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Matisaro, now I trust you, but that GF3 score sounds fishy. I've never seen a GF3 score less than 6K, at least on a decent processor.

With 4x aa and 64 tap aniso?
This was on a 1700+@150fsb=2000+.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

eden

Champion
Are you saying the Ti4200 with 4X AA 8X Aniso scored 7800? That's not possible if the Ti4600 on THG scored 4500!

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 07/20/02 11:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
L :cool: :cool: ks like I will be going back to ATI shortly, ahmmm a shinny new Radeon9700 :smile: . This is good for all of us, hopefully Nvidia will respond appropriately, I don't want them to go the way of the big do-do bird like 3dfx. It is time for Nvidia to shrink but then to come back stronger then ever. ATI does indeed have the overall kickass card.

ATI Radeon9700 is faster, not a little but a big butt load full. :)
ATI video/DVD is better, I am sick of my GF3 Ti200 TV out crap!
ATI IQ features are untouched except maybe a few by Matrox.
2d?? I don't really know about that now. My Radeon was better somewhat over my GF3 Ti200.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/20/02 01:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
I have checked out some possibly speccs for NV30, which are technically logical. About 400MHZ DDR, and 28GB/sec bandwidth. Again, its textures per pass is lower than Rad 9700, something ATi always wins at. This would maybe explain why Carmack expressed joy for the R300, and since he knows about cards well before us, he must've known the NV30 as well to state the R300 being the choice. So perhaps Doom III will run better on the slower card???

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Oh, ur TV out had probs? Which company makes the vid card? My Quadro DCC has crystal clear TV-Out, and it's just an ogl specific GF3.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: