ad-hoc connection

Recently I bought two MSI wireless 11g PCI card and tried out with two PCs.
It works ok when I set them up next to each other although the response is
somewhat slow. When I move one of the PC to a room about 20 metres away the
signal becomes very poor and there's no exchange of data.

I wonder if this typical of ad-hoc connection. Would it work if I have a
router on the host computer and a wireless card on the other. Any advice
appreciated. Thank you.
1 answer Last reply
More about connection

    Try to minimize obstructions. They matter more than distance. Imagine a
    straight line from one PC card to the other. Maybe you can't do much about
    walls, but what about book cases (high water content in paper), filing
    cabinets (metal), etc.

    There may be an additional problem since you say the connection is slow even
    when the computers are close together. Have you used a response-time
    measurement tool, or is this just a subjective evaluation?

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Unknown" <robertl@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
    > Recently I bought two MSI wireless 11g PCI card and tried out with two
    PCs.
    > It works ok when I set them up next to each other although the response is
    > somewhat slow. When I move one of the PC to a room about 20 metres away
    the
    > signal becomes very poor and there's no exchange of data.
    >
    > I wonder if this typical of ad-hoc connection. Would it work if I have a
    > router on the host computer and a wireless card on the other. Any advice
    > appreciated. Thank you.

Wireless Connection Wireless Networking