need 8x mobo for radeon9700??

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
question:
do i need to buy a motherboard that says that supports 8x agp to get the 2gb/sec bandwidth and all the other wonderful thing it does or it can be normal mobo with 4x agp?
this thing about radeon 9700 is kinda confusing.
btw, im planning on building a new computer, should i wait for radeon 9700 and pentium 4 2.6 or 2.8 ghz to come out? when will 3ghz come out?

"I would sell my soul for a truly legit 08 valor"

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
No AGP 4X is fine. You're not thinking of getting a 2.8GHz are you?.. oh god. Well, 3GHz won't be out til Q4, and when 2.8 comes out, I'm sure 2.26B will cost a lot less.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think most of the tests so far have been in AGP 4x boards havn't they?

Anyways, it's an AGP v3 board so it'll run in 2x, 4x, and of course 8x.

- JW

eden

Champion
Personally I am wondering at the very usefullness of AGP 8X. Is it now maxed, is it even proving 2% more performance when you take the R300 from a 4X to 8X? Who knows if it's just numbers to impress but not even provides any performance increase!

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it won't need an AGP 8x board. In fact, you probably wouldn't even see a performance gain. I seriously doubt that even the 9700 would have the ability to exceed AGP4x bandwidth.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Anyways, it's an AGP v3 board so it'll run in 2x, 4x, and of course 8x.
V3 doesn't support 2X actualy. 4X or 8X. 8X will rarely help, if ever with the new Radeon, but we'll see when it's released.

Don't start a <font color=red>flame war</font color=red> while immersed in <font color=orange>gasoline</font color=orange>.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
It will work on a 4x board with no performance difference with 8x. The main reason for 8x is that, just like all standards before this one, professional graphics people need the bandwidth. Really they are the ones who are driving much of the hardware technology segment. Things like curved surfaces, tesselation, bump mapping, however, are all driven by the games industry. So I think both do their part in helping to advance graphics technology and gets us closer to virtual reality (just like SGI first envisioned).

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!