Is this safe? (setup/travel question)

I've set up a wireless network in my home (PC connected to cable modem
to Netgear WGR614 so that my laptop can connect wirelessly). I've set
file sharing so that each system can access the files on each other
(the "My Documents" folders only - not the root directories). I've
set the system up with SSID not broadcast, limited MAC access (only
the laptop), and WEP encryption.

I'm getting ready to go on a trip and plan to bring the laptop so that
I can access the free wireless hotspot in my hotel. I'm a newbie at
this so bear with these questions:
1. With my folders now set to be shared across my home network will
there be any possiblity they would then be shared across the hotel's
network?
2. Due to file/printer sharing at home, I've turned off XP's firewall.
Should I turn it on when on the hotel's network?

Appreciate any insights.

On 18 Jun 2004 17:58:47 -0700, deaconblues wrote:

> I've set up a wireless network in my home (PC connected to cable modem
> to Netgear WGR614 so that my laptop can connect wirelessly). I've set
> file sharing so that each system can access the files on each other
> (the "My Documents" folders only - not the root directories). I've
> set the system up with SSID not broadcast, limited MAC access (only
> the laptop), and WEP encryption.
>
> I'm getting ready to go on a trip and plan to bring the laptop so that
> I can access the free wireless hotspot in my hotel. I'm a newbie at
> this so bear with these questions:
> 1. With my folders now set to be shared across my home network will
> there be any possiblity they would then be shared across the hotel's
> network?

Definitely turn off the shares while you are away. You can turn them back
on when you get home.

> 2. Due to file/printer sharing at home, I've turned off XP's firewall.
> Should I turn it on when on the hotel's network?

I would. Again, it's not hard to put it back when you get home.

> Appreciate any insights.

Bring condoms too! Safe is as safe does!?

deaconblues <codetalker@hotmail.com> wrote:
> 1. With my folders now set to be shared across my home network will
> there be any possiblity they would then be shared across the hotel's
> network?

Turn it off.

> 2. Due to file/printer sharing at home, I've turned off XP's firewall.
> Should I turn it on when on the hotel's network?

Turn it on.

> Appreciate any insights.

I run ZoneLabs firewall on my Win2000 laptop. I don't share folders. If I
need something, I have to drive from the laptop to the desktop at home or
work. That is primarily because I do connect to WiFi hotspots and customer
networks. I don't want to forget to toggle the sharing off.

Connected to a hotel network, I had a spalsh scren with the option of using
their firewall, or running exposed to the internet. I needed to use the
exposed option in order to connect back to my office via VPN.

The number of hits that ZoneAlarm blocked to my laptop was surprising. I
almost felt that the IP range of this network was well known amongst
hackers. I wouldn't expect that the entire internet is getting probed that
much.

--
---

Taking a moment's reflection, dold@IsXthisXsa.usenet.us.com mused:

| I run ZoneLabs firewall on my Win2000 laptop. I don't share folders. If
| I need something, I have to drive from the laptop to the desktop at home
| or work. That is primarily because I do connect to WiFi hotspots and
| customer networks. I don't want to forget to toggle the sharing off.

Why not configure ZoneAlarm to only allow sharing traffic through from
your local LAN IP subnet? When you connect to another network, this will be
different, and ZA will block it.