I have a
GeForce4 Ti 4200 128Meg Xstasy by Visiontek vid card
Athalon 1600+ xp cpu
MSI K7T266 pro2 motherboard
512Meg DDR ram
40 gig and 20 gig Westerdigital hdd
500w powersupply
winxp pro
I already have several case fans (2 of them aftermarket fans runnen at 7500rpm) but if i dont have side cover off and 6 inch desktop fan blowing at back of vid card and 20 inch house fan blowind at side of case my vid card will lock up when playn games such as ghost recon. Its a new card out of box retail from best buy running at stock speeds.
Anyone else having same problems with card and is it fixable by reataching heatsink with new thermal paste.with the 2 oversized case fans and oversized cpu fan my computer sounds like a jet engine.
oh and my previous card same brand but only GF2 Ti doesnt lock up at all with case closed.

Any info, suggestions, or help will b greatly appreciated

bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
293 572
FYI, I just got a gainward 64 MB geforce 4 ti4200 and I can overclock it a bit. it's stock speed is 150 core/513 mem and I overclock it to 293/572 and it's stable. Can't go any higher than that though, but i only have one fan in my case plus the cpu fan, power supply fan and geforce fan. the overclocking increased my benchmark performance in 3dmark 2001se from about 8130 to 8787 but I had hoped to hit 9000 oh well.

sounds like a improperly mount4ed heatsink on the video card.I have the same card. My h/s was mounted with a type of epoxy. But the epoxy only covered 2/3 of the chip and was real thick one one side and none on the other.

After removing it and reinstalling a socket 370 h/s I have no more problems. Can now hit 285/530. So check your heatsink and reinstall it if necessary.

I aint signing nothing!!!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Matisaro, is right. Open case and extra fans just prove that something is overheating. Now you have to isolate it.

You can start by underclocking the video card. This will make it run cooler without changing anything else in the system. Close the system and test with the video card underclocked. If you still have problems then something else is probably overheating.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 07/21/02 02:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelnak

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
I did isolate it by trying other vid cards and my 4200 is the only one that locks up my box and xp reports vid card caused lockup(im not sayn xp is always correct).

Ill try to underclock it and see what happens.
I have powerstrip to do the clocking but is there anything out there better to use. And if heat is actual problem do u recomend removeing heatsink and put new thermal paste on it or should i contact visiontek about replacement of card(ive only had it a month and a half but too long to bring back to best buy)

Kelnak

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
I did isolate it by trying other vid cards and my 4200 is the only one that locks up my box and xp reports vid card caused lockup(im not sayn xp is always correct).

Ill try to underclock it and see what happens.
I have powerstrip to do the clocking but is there anything out there better to use. And if heat is actual problem do u recomend removeing heatsink and put new thermal paste on it or should i contact visiontek about replacement of card(ive only had it a month and a half but too long to bring back to best buy)
thanks for the help and any other info is welcome

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
During some of my older video card overclocking I had a Geforce that was borderline stable with the case closed but perfectly stable when I used a room fan to cool the open case. Later I propped up a 80mm fan so that it was pointed half above and half below the video card and was able to get stability with the case closed. Eventually, I just backed off the memory speed and didn't need the awkwardly place fan.

I also saw a do-it-yourself article to mount two 80mm fans. Somehow the person arranged the two fans in a way that sandwiched the video card between them. There was gap so the fans were off the video card and blowing down at the memory and GPU. Don't remember if a passive GPU heatsink was used or if the stock HSF was still used.

I don't know if replacing the HSF will help but it's possible. Regarding the above mentioned Geforce I pried off the HSF and glued on a Pentium HSF for better cooling. Only got a couple of more mhz of overclocking but it was absolutely stable at the former maximum. With the stock HSF it was only stable for 20-60 minutes. (RAM heatsinks did absolutely nothing for me).

I had an older version of Powerstrip and it didn't seem to like nVidia 28.x drivers and later. I switched to RivaTuner. I only had a Geforce2.

Fresh out of ideas. Good luck.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
An article at sharky extreme points out the the HSF on the GF4 Ti series boards is good enough to not need to replace. On my first GF4 ti 42000 I replaced the standard HSF with a crystal orb and used artic silver 3 on it, didn't help the card one bit. Read the article here http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/hwGuides/article.php/1182771, scroll/click to the part about Ti overclocking, as the first part is about MX overclocking and with the card they do recommend replacing the HSF.

I suggest back down on any overclock speeds as the Ti4600 is not known to OC very well. Fairly powerful case instake and exhaust fans are recommended to keep the case and all it's internals cool.

"Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one"

heero

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Hi,

don't laugh guys I'm new at this:

I purchased a crystal orb with the hope of overclocking my video card only to discover that the hsf was stuck on with epoxy. I don't know how to get it off :(

It looks real scary, I can see epoxy on the side of the GPU so I guess they used alot. If I ever get it off how do I get rid of all that epoxy?

Thanks for any advice you could give

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i would just send it back and get a new one, it's not worth breaking the warrenty. Also 8000's seem a bit low for a GF4 4200, i got 8300 with my GeForce 3 Ti200.

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
Was your advice to send it back intended for me? I just got the newest detonator drivers 30.30 and now i'm hitting 9036 on 3d mark 2001se... that's not to bad but I wish it was still higher

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i was expecting a larger increase as far as score, although 1000 is a large increase, it's not worth going for a GF4 now. My suggestion was to return the card, and i was just curious that the score seamed really low. I didn't mean to get you worked up in some sort of war, i just find that 8000 out of the box seems kinda lower than what i expected =\

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

Kelnak

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
Well i fixed my issue

I mounted a fan on side of my case blowing about a 1/4 above card and 3/4 below at fand and heatsink on card and have not had a lockup since and the last 2 nights i have played ghost recon for about 4 or 5 hours straight both nights and not a single crash.
I did a 3D benchmark and i got a 9864 on it so im happy and thats without overclocking it.
Matisaro
phsstpok
thanks for the info and help

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That would work. Glad you solved your problem!

I didn't want cut holes in my case so a side mounted fan wasn't an option. I was thinking about using epoxy to fasten plastic clothes pins to a case fan so that I could clip it to the edge of the video card which would allow air to blow over both sides of the card.

I forgot about the PCI slot fans. Of course, these would only blow on the front side of the video card.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>