wow, what are all these ATI makers?

tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
ATI Radeon graphic cards, made by ATI,some made by gigabyte, ect. i`ve recently heard a chinese company called "sapphire", that produces a radeon7500 VGA card. anyone familiar with this chinese brand?

here in east asia, there are a lot of chinese VGA cards flooding the market(especially nvidia`s), and a large part of them aren`t simply good enough. example. geforce4 mx420 with a 64bit memory . does this make any sense? benchmarks showed that this gf4 was slower than gf2mx200.
for sure, brands like ASUS make decent graphic cards. but what about this sapphire company?

hello~!

tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
hey guys, i really need advice. this sapphire`s radeon is on sale. i`m not sure about the specs of this one, the homepage of the korean distributer doesn`t give much info, just says "really cool card" :p

hello~!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well, Sapphire makes a lot of ATi's OEM cards. I'd feel better sticking to BBA, but I've seen Sapphire cards even here in North America. I can't really say how they are since I've never tried one, but one person did and he got really low specs. He got a Sapphire R8500LE 128MB OEM and it came clocked at 250/200 with 5ns RAM, whereas the BBA cards are 250/250 with 3.6ns RAM. I'd suggest asking them about the specs at the *store* and then if they don't match, just RMA it.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I see. a lot of unknown chinese manufactured VGA cards have strange memory settings, like 64bit bandwidth, or very slow ram(more than 5ns, i guess). the problem is that because of these cheep products, it`s more difficult to choose a good one.

Be nice.

eden

Champion
ATi's reseller brands just aren't trustable like NVidia's, and therefore it is much more recommended to stick with quality MADE BY ATi cards!
For NVidia, any brand is ok usually, while their house brand is rather cheap actually.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
brands like Gigabyte and Leadtek, triplex, Asus are all tiwanese company, they are rather more trust worthy than thoese new comers, if u want 2 buy a "powered by ATI" card, it's better if u check the partner list at the ATI websites and get the 3rd party board from brands on that list.

eden

Champion
They are:
1) ..or used to be old card models, like the GF2 MX. Nvidia never sold anything above these as house brand and since then, has let the job to OEMs
2)Prototypes or samples. Often, reference cards are not by any OEM and simply by Nvidia themselves. OEMs get the cards later on and start making their own models and features.

--
An AMD employee's diary: Today I kicked an Intel worker in the "Willy"! :lol: