FAST WRITES

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Need some help here folks. Upgraded from a P3 platform to a p4, everything went well but i cannot play any games whatsoever, immediate lockup when system trys to intiate my 8500, so I snoop around and I find that agp fastwrites is supported and enabled. This was never the case on my old platform, fast writes support always said no, and my understanding was that fastwrites was for nvidia cards only. Anyhow I believe this is causing my problems, but I do not no how to disable them and this is where I need some help.
Gigabyte 8IEXP intel 845e chipset
Intel P4 1.8a northwood
256mb corsair platinum pc 2700
Radeon 8500 64mb retail/ 9050 catalyst driver
Philips acoustic edge
300 watt antec power supply
Windows 98se

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

eden

Champion
I doubt this is what is causing it, but to give it a go, you gotta go to the BIOS and find the feature. I beleive it usually is under Advanced Chipset Features, then AGP properties.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Thanks eden, but there is no option like that in my bios, I thought it might be a edit to the registry or something like that.

eden

Champion
I would check the mobo manual as well, unless you thoroughly searched the BIOS? Any new mobo should have it, it's just impossible not to!

--

The_Neon_Cowboy

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
9050 lol i think that one mabe had a prob with fast writes upgrade to the 9110 beta drivers it'll fix ya ! make sure you dont have a heat problem in yer case Too!

:cool: <font color=blue>The Hardware Junkie</font color=blue> :cool:

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I found the advanced chipset section, WTF, you have to push ctrl + F1 when you get into the bios and then these other options come up, however there is nothing in there dealing withn fast-writes and nothing in there that has solved my issue.

eden

Champion
Keep looking EVERYWHERE in the BIOS until you really can't find anything. When that is done, contact the mobo manu and let 'em have it.

--

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Check it out in <A HREF="http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/user_pdf/8iexp_1201_other.pdf" target="_new">here</A>.

I searched through it (The manual) and couldn't find any way in the bios to disable AGP Fast Writes.

I've got a Gigabyte board, and it's one of the only problems I've had with it. It lacks certiant features that other boards seem to have that let you tweek it. Like AGP Fast writes (Mine has this option), correct PCI allocation selections, and an option to have the OS handle PNP as opposed to the board (I can't install 1 of my network cards because of this error), ect.

Call Gigabyte support, and they might be able to help you. If they can't, maybe you should return the board and get a different one, because it will obviously be crippling your system otherwise.

Don't start a <font color=red>flame war</font color=red> while immersed in <font color=orange>gasoline</font color=orange>.

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
No tech support number in the board manual or their website. Thats nice