Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Supervisor Password vs BIOS Password

Tags:
  • Dell
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Media Center
  • BIOS
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
July 28, 2005 6:40:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I received my Dell XPS Gen 4, WinXPpro SP2, Media Center 2005 Edition
PC back in January; so, my memory does not serve me very well.

Somewhere along the way, a Supervisor password was generated, and I
have it written down.

I do not know when/why I would need to use this Supervisor password.
Please provide info about the Supervisor password so that I may avoid
a potential delimma.

Is "Supervisor password" another way of saying "BIOS password" ?

Thanks.

More about : supervisor password bios password

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:01:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Are you sure you don't mean Administrator password? If so, it's for
Windows, primarily if you have to go into Safe mode.

Tom
"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:17rhe19qmu0bbl06i2q90kbn99je6o3fhv@4ax.com...
>
> I received my Dell XPS Gen 4, WinXPpro SP2, Media Center 2005 Edition
> PC back in January; so, my memory does not serve me very well.
>
> Somewhere along the way, a Supervisor password was generated, and I
> have it written down.
>
> I do not know when/why I would need to use this Supervisor password.
> Please provide info about the Supervisor password so that I may avoid
> a potential delimma.
>
> Is "Supervisor password" another way of saying "BIOS password" ?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
July 28, 2005 11:25:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi Tom:

Yes, I am sure. Supervisor password was written onto paper notebook
at the time. As yet, I have not seen anything referring to
Supervisor password. There is no document and settings folder for
Supervisor when viewing WinExplorer.




On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:01:54 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Are you sure you don't mean Administrator password? If so, it's for
>Windows, primarily if you have to go into Safe mode.
>
>Tom
>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:17rhe19qmu0bbl06i2q90kbn99je6o3fhv@4ax.com...
>>
>> I received my Dell XPS Gen 4, WinXPpro SP2, Media Center 2005 Edition
>> PC back in January; so, my memory does not serve me very well.
>>
>> Somewhere along the way, a Supervisor password was generated, and I
>> have it written down.
>>
>> I do not know when/why I would need to use this Supervisor password.
>> Please provide info about the Supervisor password so that I may avoid
>> a potential delimma.
>>
>> Is "Supervisor password" another way of saying "BIOS password" ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:02:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Vince wrote:
> I received my Dell XPS Gen 4, WinXPpro SP2, Media Center 2005 Edition
> PC back in January; so, my memory does not serve me very well.
>
> Somewhere along the way, a Supervisor password was generated, and I
> have it written down.
>
> I do not know when/why I would need to use this Supervisor password.
> Please provide info about the Supervisor password so that I may avoid
> a potential delimma.
>
> Is "Supervisor password" another way of saying "BIOS password" ?

There are two 'BIOS' passwords. One is for general use, and allows
access to the machine but if you actually go into the BIOS setup you can
only look at things and not change them The other password will allow
changes to the BIOS setup.
On my Dimension these are termed 'System' and 'Setup'.
On my Latitude they are termed 'User' and 'Supervisor'.

John
July 30, 2005 1:18:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:JauGe.14266$bT4.7285@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
| Vince wrote:
| > I received my Dell XPS Gen 4, WinXPpro SP2, Media Center 2005 Edition
| > PC back in January; so, my memory does not serve me very well.
| >
| > Somewhere along the way, a Supervisor password was generated, and I
| > have it written down.
| >
| > I do not know when/why I would need to use this Supervisor password.
| > Please provide info about the Supervisor password so that I may avoid
| > a potential delimma.
| >
| > Is "Supervisor password" another way of saying "BIOS password" ?
|
| There are two 'BIOS' passwords. One is for general use, and allows
| access to the machine but if you actually go into the BIOS setup you can
| only look at things and not change them The other password will allow
| changes to the BIOS setup.
| On my Dimension these are termed 'System' and 'Setup'.
| On my Latitude they are termed 'User' and 'Supervisor'.
|
| John

I once saw a laptop (OS NT4) and that password had to be entered
BEFORE you could get into the BIOS! I kept it for a night and couldn't
enter...I got part of it...got ALMOST...but no cigar!
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 1:18:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Helen wrote:
>
> "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:JauGe.14266$bT4.7285@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> | Vince wrote:
> | > I received my Dell XPS Gen 4, WinXPpro SP2, Media Center 2005 Edition
> | > PC back in January; so, my memory does not serve me very well.
> | >
> | > Somewhere along the way, a Supervisor password was generated, and I
> | > have it written down.
> | >
> | > I do not know when/why I would need to use this Supervisor password.
> | > Please provide info about the Supervisor password so that I may avoid
> | > a potential delimma.
> | >
> | > Is "Supervisor password" another way of saying "BIOS password" ?
> |
> | There are two 'BIOS' passwords. One is for general use, and allows
> | access to the machine but if you actually go into the BIOS setup you can
> | only look at things and not change them The other password will allow
> | changes to the BIOS setup.
> | On my Dimension these are termed 'System' and 'Setup'.
> | On my Latitude they are termed 'User' and 'Supervisor'.
> |
> | John
>
> I once saw a laptop (OS NT4) and that password had to be entered
> BEFORE you could get into the BIOS! I kept it for a night and couldn't
> enter...I got part of it...got ALMOST...but no cigar!

More than likely, a hard drive password. Without it, the laptop's a brick!

Notan
!