Building my first serious zon

Ryan

I've decided to start my first real amazon, and I need some advice about
what to do with it. I want to use a build that will require minimal
'rushing' (i.e I want to be able to solo most of the game), so I have some
questions.

1) Would a javazon or bowazon work better for solo play?
2) The javazon build that seems most popular right now is lightning
fury...so if I build one, which of the synergies should I focus on, and what
is an appropriate point spread for passive skills?
3) The other build I've heard about are multi-shot/ice arrow bowazons. What
exactly goes into building one, or is there a 'preferred' bowazon build.

Since I'm totally new to to amazons, I'd appreciate any help.

If you want a zon that can solo through most of the game, you'd probably be
better off going with a bowazon.

I'd suggest maxing Guided Arrow and Valkerie, with about 4 or 5 points in
Multishot and same for Strafe. You should get +skills items at some point
that will boost these up.

Other skills you can add to taste, but one thing to consider is that if you
max Frozen Arrow you'll need a bow that does magic damage (or gear that adds
elemental damage) to take down the cold immunes.

It's not too bad, my bowazon is lvl 80 with a Buriza, and I'm keeping my
fingers crossed that she finds a nice WF one of these days...

Sorry for the impartial list regarding skills, I'm still on my first cup of
coffee.

-Cym

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:54:57 -0700, "CymTyr" <wolf@spambox.net> wrote:

>If you want a zon that can solo through most of the game, you'd probably be
>better off going with a bowazon.

Ok, I was sitting on my hands, because my regular LoD (as opposed to
playing in mods) Bowazons are/were struggling at the moment (my SP
Slayer's life just got a *lot* easier when she found a Kuko), but
since the Bowazon (or more specifically the Strafeazon) is about the
only character I seriously play, I can't here.

That said, due to my current problems (my ladder Zon seems to be stuck
just before the Ancients in Hell, I really need to talk my friend away
from WoW (*and* be able to connect to BNut, but I could do that by
hooking up the old computer) to help finish her up), I can't say
without my doubts that I think they're the easiest to *solo* through
the game with. Heh, as a matter of fact, I've been thinking of
starting a Javazon, but really feel I should get at least *one* of the
non-Bowazon characters into Hell first ;-)

>I'd suggest maxing Guided Arrow and Valkerie, with about 4 or 5 points in
>Multishot and same for Strafe. You should get +skills items at some point
>that will boost these up.

This is the one that got me to speak up. Why max Guided? It was great
in 1.09, but now that it doesn't pierce, I haven't found a reason to
add more than one hard point to it. Oh, and I *always* max Strafe, but
I'm weird that way ;-)

>Other skills you can add to taste, but one thing to consider is that if you
>max Frozen Arrow you'll need a bow that does magic damage (or gear that adds
>elemental damage) to take down the cold immunes.

Not with a decent level of Strafe ;-) The only drawback is, in 1.10
they added a "feature" where if you get hit and go into hit recovery
(apparently, I haven't heard anyone else talking about this and it
doesn't happen *every* time I get hit) the Strafe animation continues,
the arrows still fly, but they don't do any damage and thus don't
leech, and that can make you be seeing red all too soon. Quite
annoying :-(

You could also go with a Kuko, I haven't gotten it into Hell yet but
it sure is making a *big* difference in Act 2/NM.

>It's not too bad, my bowazon is lvl 80 with a Buriza, and I'm keeping my
>fingers crossed that she finds a nice WF one of these days...
>
>Sorry for the impartial list regarding skills, I'm still on my first cup of
>coffee.
>
>-Cym

So am I, actually just getting the first full cup now ;-) Your Burrito
may be the difference there, I've never found one and play all of my
SP characters pure, so the only time I've managed to play with one is
with one of my first ladder characters, who was given one by a friend
at just about the same time another friend gave her a Goldstrike Arch.
When I play her (most of the time when I *can* connect to BNut I'm
playing my ladder characters) I'm still trying to figure out which one
I like better.

My opinion on skills:

Max Strafe and eventually Frozen Arrow and Valk (both of these will do
well early on with only a couple of hard points, I add to them as it
becomes apparent that they *need* to have more points)

Critical Strike, Penetrate and Pierce to about the point where they're
at or just below 50% with +skills (the point of diminishing returns).

Dodge, Evade and the other one (Avoid? Something like that) you *want*
around 50%, but 40% or so is doable, depends on how high you're taking
the character and thus how many points you have to play around with.

My current builds are avoiding the fire arrow leg of the tree, but
there *are* times when Immo can be very handy.

The rest of the skills in the (non-fire) arrow and passive trees only
one hard point (I always add the point to Penetrate, maybe I should
try a build where I don't, as AR never seems to be a problem), unless
I'm forgetting something which is *quite* possible. Yes, that includes
Multi-Shot for me, I was convinced to play through most of NM and Hell
using it with my level 99 Bowazon in AR (caveat on the 99, once
through AR and DotD at players one in 1.09 was enough to get her there
(made 99 just before Baal in DotD)) and was convinced that it isn't
worth using, Strafe is just too much better, IMNSHO ;-)

ald