Some Questions about playing in Hell (SP)

Hi there!

Haven't touched DII for some years I recently dusted off my old CD's
and installed this game again (together with expansion). Wow, there's
alot new stuff here, almost felt like a new game (last I played 1.04 a
few years back). After several not so successful chars Inez finally
made it and killed Baal in Nightmare, around clvl 60 or so. Inez is
Bowazon, that was always my favourite in DII. I skilled her the old
fashioned way, enough str for a good bow, no energy, no vit, all dex.
Multishot is maxed out, freezing arrow and valkyrie are close to max.

In NM no probs so far but then I tried hell...

....and I have no chance. In the meantime Inez is clvl 72, I have put
some points in vit, have even wasted some points in the fire tree but
still no chance. I do like a challenge but this is just to much. Every
second monster is a champion of some sort, every third a boss, every
forth is immune to physical damage and every fifth immune to at least
2 elements. :) And to top the mess leeching seems nonexistent and the
resistances are down to almost nothing (ok, thats not new to me).

Inez has no problems at all in NM with /players 8 set, even my old
"friend" Duriel is killable, but as soon as I try hell I can't get
past the outer cloister. In the old days (v1.04 classic)I played
hell/hell with that clvl but now!?

So here are some questions: Is it possible to play SP in hell
difficulty? If yes, what kind of char do you use? What clvl is typical
for the beginning in hell? What the hell was Blizzard thinking?

I guess it's easier in battlenet in a party and you can trade for some
good gear but I'm mostly on the road and play DII on my laptop so that
is out of question. I do have ATMA and a lot of perfect gems and cheap
runes, found some uniques and set items but nothing for an amazon.
What would be the best place to hunt for amazon gear (bows!) in nm? Is
it possible to get a "lum" rune in nm? (I'm trying to get "smoke" for
a shiny new ghost armor).

One last question: What does "cowing" mean? Found it on some guide on
the web, with regard to finding some descent gear.

TIA,

Sincerely, Achim

--
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
John Lennon

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:11:21 +0100, Achim Fueldner
    <afueldner@HATESPAM.web.de.> wrote:

    >Hi there!
    >
    >Haven't touched DII for some years I recently dusted off my old CD's
    >and installed this game again (together with expansion). Wow, there's
    >alot new stuff here, almost felt like a new game (last I played 1.04 a
    >few years back). After several not so successful chars Inez finally
    >made it and killed Baal in Nightmare, around clvl 60 or so. Inez is
    >Bowazon, that was always my favourite in DII. I skilled her the old
    >fashioned way, enough str for a good bow, no energy, no vit, all dex.
    >Multishot is maxed out, freezing arrow and valkyrie are close to max.

    Well, I prefer Strafe, but I went into that in too much detail in
    another post ;-)

    Also, what's your Strength at now? 95 was enough for every bow in D2
    but in LoD there are bows that require more (140? 145? Something like
    that. Arreat Summit lists 134 for Hydras and Windforce, maybe that's
    it but I *thought* there was one that needed more) and I'm sure you'd
    hate to find a Windforce and then find you don't have the Strength to
    use it.

    And *no* vit? I've been accused of building glass cannons with only
    adding one point to vit with each level, I couldn't see trying it with
    none ;-)

    >In NM no probs so far but then I tried hell...
    >
    >...and I have no chance. In the meantime Inez is clvl 72, I have put
    >some points in vit, have even wasted some points in the fire tree but
    >still no chance. I do like a challenge but this is just to much. Every
    >second monster is a champion of some sort, every third a boss, every
    >forth is immune to physical damage and every fifth immune to at least
    >2 elements. :) And to top the mess leeching seems nonexistent and the
    >resistances are down to almost nothing (ok, thats not new to me).

    Welcome to both the best and worst thinking of the BCMs (Blizzard
    Crack Monkeys) ;-) Can I safely assume you're using the tactic of
    letting the Valk tank the monsters while you shoot from behind her?
    This should help a bit, especially since you have at least two
    elemental attacks now (although Immo may need more points than you
    currently have in it to really help, *if* you are going to use it,
    like I said in my other post I'm currently avoiding the Fire tree as I
    find I really don't have the skill points for it). And what do you
    have on the weapon switch? I almost always have the best I can find
    with lightning damage, often a javelin-type so I can keep my best
    shield there too, for the fire/cold immunes.

    >Inez has no problems at all in NM with /players 8 set, even my old
    >"friend" Duriel is killable, but as soon as I try hell I can't get
    >past the outer cloister. In the old days (v1.04 classic)I played
    >hell/hell with that clvl but now!?
    >
    >So here are some questions: Is it possible to play SP in hell
    >difficulty? If yes, what kind of char do you use? What clvl is typical
    >for the beginning in hell? What the hell was Blizzard thinking?

    I would hope that a Bowazon is still possible, it certainly is in AR
    (Ancestral Recall, the mod I've played with the most).

    >I guess it's easier in battlenet in a party and you can trade for some
    >good gear but I'm mostly on the road and play DII on my laptop so that
    >is out of question. I do have ATMA and a lot of perfect gems and cheap
    >runes, found some uniques and set items but nothing for an amazon.
    >What would be the best place to hunt for amazon gear (bows!) in nm?

    Probably running Meph, Pindle and (especially) Baal, with some Cows
    thrown in for variety.

    >Is
    >it possible to get a "lum" rune in nm? (I'm trying to get "smoke" for
    >a shiny new ghost armor).

    >Sincerely, Achim

    It *should* be, although hopefully someone else will confirm/deny
    this. Run the Countess with as little MF gear as you can get away with
    (as opposed to the running mentioned above, where you want as *much*
    MF gear as you can) and hopefully you get lucky ;-)

    ald