Thanks for the fish, and...

,,,I made my decision about a new desktop computer.

Choice was between a new XPS 5 and an ASUS P5WD2 based system.

Went with the P4 3.4 Mhz HT CPU
One Gig of Corsair 533 Ram
WD 74 Gig 1000 RPM HD
WD 250 Gig HD for second drive
Plain vanilla CD-R
Mitsumi Floppy, 7-1 card reader
ATI Radeon 800
Lian-Li alum case
Antec Neopower 480 watt PS
And a few other nits and lice.

A little less than a Dell similarly equipped, with a bit
more oomph for the dollar, I think. Bought it through Monarch, with whom
I have dealt before. The rep there was very helpful in configuring.

Might buy a small Dell Linus based server in the near future.
11 answers Last reply
More about thanks fish

    HarryKrause wrote:

    > ,,,I made my decision about a new desktop computer.
    >
    > Choice was between a new XPS 5 and an ASUS P5WD2 based system.
    >
    > Went with the P4 3.4 Mhz HT CPU
    > One Gig of Corsair 533 Ram
    > WD 74 Gig 1000 RPM HD
    > WD 250 Gig HD for second drive
    > Plain vanilla CD-R
    > Mitsumi Floppy, 7-1 card reader
    > ATI Radeon 800
    > Lian-Li alum case
    > Antec Neopower 480 watt PS
    > And a few other nits and lice.
    >
    > A little less than a Dell similarly equipped, with a bit
    > more oomph for the dollar, I think. Bought it through Monarch, with whom
    > I have dealt before. The rep there was very helpful in configuring.
    >
    > Might buy a small Dell Linus based server in the near future.

    Linus? Like Snoopy and Linus? <g>

    Notan

    Notan wrote:
    > HarryKrause wrote:
    >> ,,,I made my decision about a new desktop computer.
    >>
    >> Choice was between a new XPS 5 and an ASUS P5WD2 based system.
    >>
    >> Went with the P4 3.4 Mhz HT CPU
    >> One Gig of Corsair 533 Ram
    >> WD 74 Gig 1000 RPM HD
    >> WD 250 Gig HD for second drive
    >> Plain vanilla CD-R
    >> Mitsumi Floppy, 7-1 card reader
    >> ATI Radeon 800
    >> Lian-Li alum case
    >> Antec Neopower 480 watt PS
    >> And a few other nits and lice.
    >>
    >> A little less than a Dell similarly equipped, with a bit
    >> more oomph for the dollar, I think. Bought it through Monarch, with whom
    >> I have dealt before. The rep there was very helpful in configuring.
    >>
    >> Might buy a small Dell Linus based server in the near future.
    >
    > Linus? Like Snoopy and Linus? <g>
    >
    > Notan

    Those would be them.

    Sure. Goes with the Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Lucy models... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:16:34 -0400, HarryKrause <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Notan wrote:
    >> HarryKrause wrote:
    >>> ,,,I made my decision about a new desktop computer.
    >>>
    >>> Choice was between a new XPS 5 and an ASUS P5WD2 based system.
    >>>
    >>> Went with the P4 3.4 Mhz HT CPU
    >>> One Gig of Corsair 533 Ram
    >>> WD 74 Gig 1000 RPM HD
    >>> WD 250 Gig HD for second drive
    >>> Plain vanilla CD-R
    >>> Mitsumi Floppy, 7-1 card reader
    >>> ATI Radeon 800
    >>> Lian-Li alum case
    >>> Antec Neopower 480 watt PS
    >>> And a few other nits and lice.
    >>>
    >>> A little less than a Dell similarly equipped, with a bit
    >>> more oomph for the dollar, I think. Bought it through Monarch, with whom
    >>> I have dealt before. The rep there was very helpful in configuring.
    >>>
    >>> Might buy a small Dell Linus based server in the near future.
    >>
    >> Linus? Like Snoopy and Linus? <g>
    >>
    >> Notan
    >
    >Those would be them.

    The Linus model comes with a blanket for true security... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:34:20 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
    Myers) wrote:

    >Sure. Goes with the Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Lucy models... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:16:34 -0400, HarryKrause <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Notan wrote:

    >>> Linus? Like Snoopy and Linus? <g>
    >>>
    >>> Notan
    >>
    >>Those would be them.

    WHAT!? No Peppermint Patty or Pig Pen models? I was considering ,perhaps the latter.

    <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:42ea90d9.8135228@nntp.charter.net...
    | Sure. Goes with the Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Lucy models... Ben Myers
    |
    | On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:16:34 -0400, HarryKrause <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote:
    |
    | >Notan wrote:

    | >> Linus? Like Snoopy and Linus? <g>
    | >>
    | >> Notan
    | >
    | >Those would be them.

    Running a very unruly Windows XP, of course! ... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:15:39 -0400, "Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote:

    >WHAT!? No Peppermint Patty or Pig Pen models? I was considering =
    >,perhaps the latter.
    >
    ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message =
    >| Sure. Goes with the Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Lucy models... Ben =
    >Myers
    >|=20
    >| On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:16:34 -0400, HarryKrause =
    ><harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote:
    >|=20

    >with whom
    >configuring.

    >| >Those would be them.

    That WD 74Gigger is dog-slow at 1000rpm! ; )

    Helen wrote:
    > WHAT!? No Peppermint Patty or Pig Pen models? I was considering ,perhaps the latter.
    >
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:42ea90d9.8135228@nntp.charter.net...
    > | Sure. Goes with the Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Lucy models... Ben Myers

    > | >Those would be them.

    Pig Pen lives on my desk.

    braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:
    > That WD 74Gigger is dog-slow at 1000rpm! ; )

    Yeah, but the price was really special!

    I see that Dell has dropped the promotional price for the XPS. That
    price brought the cost down to about the same as buying similar or
    slightly better components from a good box builder. Without the
    promotional price, the Dell XPS is now about 38% higher than what I'm
    paying.

    I was in a quandry over whether to buy the XPS or the ASUS-based system.
    I think I made my decision after reading some of the bad experiences
    posters here had with Dell "service." I don't mean parts replacement; I
    mean endless hold time, transfers, and not getting the needed answers.

    Most of the computer-related problems I've had over the years had
    nothing to do with hardware, and everything to do with the OS. I think
    in the end I decided I did not want to deal with possible OS problems by
    going through Dell's Bangladore tech support when I could just as easily
    go through MS's Bangladore tech support.

    Seriously, the one time I had a hard drive problem, I contacted Western
    Digital, and it shipped me a brand-new hard drive. When I had questions
    about new videocards, I simply called ATI or whoever. Same with most
    other components. So, in the end, I simply decided that for my new
    desktop box, I didn't need Dell.

    And to tell the truth, I was a bit offput by the plastic XPS case. For
    two large, I expect a metal case.

    But I don't have any problems with Dell. I've purchased computers from
    Dell before, they worked fine, and I may buy Dell again in the future.

    I was joking...that, I'm sure-is a typo...should be 10,000rpm!

    braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:
    > I was joking...that, I'm sure-is a typo...should be 10,000rpm!

    Not to worry; told you, I got a special deal on a very slow drive. Real
    quiet, I am told.

Dell Western Digital Computers