USB ports on 1901FP stopped working

I've got a 1901FP monitor (and a Latitude x300). The USB ports on the
monitor stopped working (scanner, thumbdrive)...all of a sudden. I
don't know what exactly caused it or when it happened because they are
all more secondary type of USB devices.

I reconnected the devices. I reconnected the monitor. I turned off the
monitor. I rebooted (these are all the options Dell offers).

Anyone had this problem - if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks!
12 answers Last reply
More about ports 1901fp stopped working

    Check your "Device Manager".

    On 29 Jul 2005 14:21:07 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, steve@portigal.com
    wrote:

    >I've got a 1901FP monitor (and a Latitude x300). The USB ports on the
    >monitor stopped working (scanner, thumbdrive)...all of a sudden. I
    >don't know what exactly caused it or when it happened because they are
    >all more secondary type of USB devices.
    >
    >I reconnected the devices. I reconnected the monitor. I turned off the
    >monitor. I rebooted (these are all the options Dell offers).
    >
    >Anyone had this problem - if so, how did you resolve it?

    Have you tried using a different cable between the monitor and the computer,
    or plugging the cable into a different jack on the computer?

    Or connecting just one device at a time, in case on of the devices is FUBAR
    and causing the problem?

    Not sure what you may have tried so far, just tossing out a few generic
    troubleshooting ideas.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    "FUBAR"?
    "Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

    > On 29 Jul 2005 14:21:07 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,
    steve@portigal.com
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I've got a 1901FP monitor (and a Latitude x300). The USB ports on the
    > >monitor stopped working (scanner, thumbdrive)...all of a sudden. I
    > >don't know what exactly caused it or when it happened because they are
    > >all more secondary type of USB devices.
    > >
    > >I reconnected the devices. I reconnected the monitor. I turned off the
    > >monitor. I rebooted (these are all the options Dell offers).
    > >
    > >Anyone had this problem - if so, how did you resolve it?
    >
    > Have you tried using a different cable between the monitor and the
    computer,
    > or plugging the cable into a different jack on the computer?
    >
    > Or connecting just one device at a time, in case on of the devices is
    FUBAR
    > and causing the problem?
    >
    > Not sure what you may have tried so far, just tossing out a few generic
    > troubleshooting ideas.
    >
    > --
    > Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    Different cable is interesting - I'd have to buy one.

    Only have one monitor-out on the computer though (who has more than
    one?)

    FUBAR = "fouled up beyond all relief"

    Sometimes fouled is another word that has a similar meaning.

    I'm looking at Device Manager - there's no alerts that something is
    wrong.

    It's hard to know which, if any, of the USB items listed (which range
    from Generic USB Hub, to Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host
    Controller to USB Mass Storage Device to USB Root Hub) refer to the
    monitor's ports specifically.

    So not sure what information I'm getting there or what to do with it...

    The ports in the monitor won't show up in device manager,
    just
    the "Host Controller" or something similar..
    As someone else suggested, you need to try a different USB
    cable from
    the monitor to the computer. Also try a different USB port.

    On 30 Jul 2005 13:34:34 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, steve@portigal.com
    wrote:

    >Different cable is interesting - I'd have to buy one.
    >
    >Only have one monitor-out on the computer though (who has more than
    >one?)

    Don't you have a separate cable for the USB from the computer to the
    monitor? Should be connected from one of the USB jacks on your computer to
    a squarish USB connector on your monitor.

    That's the one I meant to try another plugging into a different connector on
    the computer, not the video cable. And you might check your other USB
    devices and see if any of them have a cable you can borrow temporarily for
    the computer to monitor USB connection.

    --

    steve@portigal.com wrote:

    > FUBAR = "fouled up beyond all relief"

    Or "... beyond all repair" in the version I've heard (perhaps a US
    version?).

    The "F" stands for what "F" generally stands for, especially if you
    consider the origin was the military.

    Sparky Spartacus wrote:
    > steve@portigal.com wrote:
    >
    >> FUBAR = "fouled up beyond all relief"
    >

    > Or "... beyond all repair" in the version I've heard (perhaps a US
    > version?).
    >
    > The "F" stands for what "F" generally stands for, especially if you
    > consider the origin was the military.

    I've heard both as "f---ed up beyond repair" or as "f---ed up beyond
    recognition."

    --
    Annoy a conservative -- Think for yourself.

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:28:04 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    >I'm trying to recollect - don't the LCD's with USB port have some sort of
    >actual software CD associated with the monitor and ports, or do I recall
    >incorrectly?
    >
    >(As opposed to many standard monitors which don't really require software
    >drivers.....)

    As far as I know, my 2001FP doesn't use an special USB drivers; I certainly
    never installed any. I already had the 2001FP, and I bought this computer
    with no monitor, so I don't think Dell would have done any mind reading and
    installed the drivers for me. :)

    When I hooked up the monitor USB to the computer, I got the standard message
    about finding new hardware (USB hub? Don't remember now..) and that was it:
    plugged things into the monitor USB jacks and everything worked fine. That
    was with WinXP SP2; no idea if older Windows versions would need drivers.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    May you live in interesting times...

    All this info helped, thanks.

    I moved the monitor into another room for a meeting, and when I moved
    it back, I neglected to connect the USB cable to the PC, I had actually
    taken it away, forgetting that it was a special function cable. I
    somehow had decided that the USB signal was going through the monitor
    cable - as if by magic - and was really confused by the references
    above to the USB cable - thinking "there's no cable" - but I pulled out
    the manual and of course there IS and of course I had it and plugging
    it in fixed the problem.

    Thanks for the help - it was an easy fix, but tough for my brain!

Dell USB Monitors Computers