Sign in with
Your question

Browser Profiles

Last response: in Windows XP
January 10, 2004 11:17:29 AM

My new computer runs XP Pro, and as part of the process of moving things over from my old machine, I saved my Netscape profile folder, knowing that after installing Netscape on the new system, I could re-insert my profile and thus start over where I left off. I have done this before when reformatting, re-installing, etc., and it's never been an issue. I burned the profile to a CD, which makes the profile and its various subfolders read-only, even after copying it to the desktop of my new machine. The profile cannot be read-only to work in the new installation of Netscape, so typically make sure that all of the various sub-folders and files in the profile have this option under Properties/Attributes unchecked before I try to use them.

The problem? Read-Only won't stay unchecked. I can right-click on a folder and select Properties, uncheck "Read Only" under Attributes, and select the option that says "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files". I click OK and OK again. Everything's copacetic, right? Except that when I right-click on the folder again and select properties, the folder's back to being read-only. I am totally mystified.

Could this be somehow related to XP Pro's security or sharing rules?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.

More about : browser profiles

January 11, 2004 3:40:43 PM

I don't think so. If you dont have the right rights, you wouldn't be able to access the files either. Further if you log on as administrator, rights shouldn't be an issue.
However, to restore/reset rights, try the following. Right click on the root folder. Select sharing/security. Got to the security tab and click advanced. Check 'Replaced permission entries ...' and then 'Apply'. To change the owner, click on the 'Owner' tab and check 'Replace owner on...' and then click 'Apply'

hope this helps.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
January 11, 2004 4:26:29 PM

Winxp can be really funny with rights and file attributes etc. Just use the attrib command to change the attributes of the files.

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>
!