Skippy dvd playback.. need help

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
A friend of mine is having trouble playing back dvd's on his comp. He's got a k6-2 (doesn't know what speed), he's going to get a 512 MB ram upgrade for a Via motherboard, and he has a 16x/48x lite-on DVD drive... His video card is a trident blade 3D/mvp4 with 8 MB of ram. I told him to update his via drivers and i don't know if there would be a point to telling him to update his vid card drivers.. he wants to get a new one for under 100 bucks.. what would be a good idea?

Save the trees.. wipe your ass with an owl.

Myrmecophagavir

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
That card is in severe need of being replaced! I'd advise a Radeon 7500 or cheap 8500, they have great DVD playback facilities. The K6-2 will hold back the performance in 3D games a lot though. The CPU speed should be displayed at startup... but really K6-2s are only just good enough for DVDs if coupled with a good graphics card, since they didn't go up to very high clock speeds by modern standards. Unfortunately they're using an old socket type so you couldn't upgrade that without changing motherboard too, so I guess the graphics card is the way to go.

jpscfl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2002
I am currently running a DVD player on my K6-2@500mhz, using a Creative Labs DXr3 decoder card and all DVDs play smoothly. If your friend decides to use the software solutions (WinDVD or Radeon), the video will still be choppy. In addition, he will not be able to use any of the Radeon's features (such as video capture) with the K6. He simply does not have enough CPU horsepower to use software solutions.

Upgrade the CPU or stick with hardware decoding. This DxR3 should be able to play DVDs with CPUs as slow as 166mhz.

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
actually he is going to get a radeon 7500 no matter what because he figures anything at all will help boost his computer (which is very true).

Save the trees.. wipe your ass with an owl.

jpscfl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2002
It would help, but why buy a AIW just for better graphics and not be able to use the other features?

That's how my nightmare started...Replacing my 16mb video card and Dxr3 decoder with a 7500AIW. Great picture, but unable to video capture, even with the lowest resolution.

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
A k6-2 300 will run dvds with software decoding easily, just make sure "DMA" is enabled in device manager!!!
my old k6-2 350 with 64ram ran perfectly with xing dvd software decoder

BAULZ DEEP