Gf4 heat issue

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Anybody have any heat problems with there Gf4 4400-4600? I have a water cooler, it's custom now that I screwed with it so much. The 3 fans that cool the radiator are on top, and it's a full tower case. Since I got a new desk I either have to put my PC inside or underneath. With not much air circulating my games will freeze from time to time. I just did some more work on my water cooler, I put the reservoir on the out side near the top to make the hoses shorter. I still have about the same Tept. about 46C, where I feel if I get close to 50 or over it can freeze. I'm not sure if it's my card, because it feels pretty darn hot, so I put a couple turbo fans to help in the case.

If the PC wasn't underneath the desk, and if it wasn't about 85 degrees in my Apt, this wouldn't happen. When I run the air conditioner I won't have this problem.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Well, my temp is going up, when it stalls? I'd have to guess it's just over 50C when it stalls. I would think it should run a little hotter. I suppose the room temp being 85+ and sticking the PC under the desk is to much, even though it's water cooled. If it wasn't so hot I wouldn't have this problem, I'm starting to think one of my two water pumps might not be working. Guess I'll just turn on my air conditioner while the temp are so high.

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
50C sounds a little hot, my comp runs around 54C on a full load, maybe your not getting a good contact on the processors =\

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
50C must be to hot for me. I have the best contact I can have with the processors. At the moment I have no choice, but to stick the PC under the hot desk, and that only leave about 6in for air to circulate. I guess I can rule out the card being to hot, also I got two turbo fans in there now.

jpscfl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2002
I am using water cooling on my pc (XP2100 with Geforce 4) and my cpu core temp hangs around 38 C. I also had to make modifications to my case, but only to redirect airflow to the radiator, not adding any more fans. However, if the temp in the room goes above 80 degrees, the CPU core temp goes up several degrees for every degree of room temp.

This solution was the cheapest: Although I have central air, it made no sense to keep the entire house at 60 degrees to keep my PC room below 80 degrees. So, I went to BestBuy and bought a cheapo window A/C for a hundred bucks.

That A/C is a lot cheaper than a new GEf-4...or a replacement CPU!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Sounds like you had experience the same thing. I also made some modifications to my case. Replacing the radiator fans with some noisy turbo ones didn't work, also moving the reservoir closer to shorten the hoses, almost in half, still didn't help.
Your right my solution is also to turn on the A/C.