Items for my Skellimancer

I thought back over all of the items that I have seen, and have yet to see
anything really useful for a skellimancer, weapon-wise. (I admit the
possibility that they come later on, he is only L17 right now).

I have managed to acquire a decent number of gems, along with a few (6 or
7) low level runes (can't remember the names off hand).

So, given the above, I am wondering the following: Should I use the runes
that I have now to try to build something for my skellimancer, or are they
(gems and runes) better off saved for my melee characters?

--
Marcel

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> I thought back over all of the items that I have seen, and have yet
to see
> anything really useful for a skellimancer, weapon-wise. (I admit the
> possibility that they come later on, he is only L17 right now).
>
> I have managed to acquire a decent number of gems, along with a few
(6 or
> 7) low level runes (can't remember the names off hand).
>
> So, given the above, I am wondering the following: Should I use the
runes
> that I have now to try to build something for my skellimancer, or are
they
> (gems and runes) better off saved for my melee characters?

What is he using now?

Unfortunately, as you've noticed, there isn't a whole heck of a lot for
skelliemancers until later on. The White Runeword carries a level 35
requirement due to the Io rune, and even the most useful Normal unique
wands for a skelliemancer - Gravenspine and Ume's Lament - have level
requirements of 20 and 28, respectively.

You could use the Torch of Iro unique wand with +1 to Necromancer skill
levels, but at this stage in your skelliemancer's life you probably
should be more concerned with wands that add to Raise Skeleton and/or
Skeleton Mastery. What both of my skelliemancers did early in their
careers was to pick up and examine every single white, blue, yellow or
gray wand that fell. IIRC, my ladder necro used some +2 to Raise
Skeleton, +2 to Amplify Damage wand until he started using Gravenspine
at level 20.

Where do you play? If you're on the US East HCL, give me a holler
(*neithskye) as I have some nice early skelliemancer stuff I can outfit
you with.

Jill

On 25 Jan 2005 16:08:48 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
<mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:

>I thought back over all of the items that I have seen, and have yet to see
>anything really useful for a skellimancer, weapon-wise. (I admit the
>possibility that they come later on, he is only L17 right now).

The best weapon for a low lvl Skell Nec is usually bought from either
Akara in Act 1 or Drognan in Act 2. They cost a lot of gold, so it's
advisable to begin selling items for gold as soon as you start. I was
able to get a +2 to Skell Mast and +2 to Raise Skell Wand with a mana
bonus from Akara before I left Act 1 Normal.

Each Act has a NPC that sells wands. By Act 2 NM, Drognan can sell a
plus 2 to all skills Wand and it can have plus point for up to 3
additional skills. You can also get plus 3 to Summoning Skills Wands,
also with other skill points. I'm sure that there's someone around
here who know more about when and what skills become available on
Wands than I do.

Just keep trying until you get a good one.

In article <Xns95E9717D9C594mbeausympaticoca@130.133.1.4>,
Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:
>I thought back over all of the items that I have seen, and have yet to see
>anything really useful for a skellimancer, weapon-wise. (I admit the
>possibility that they come later on, he is only L17 right now).

At L17 you shouldn't expect to find that much interesting stuff. You
should watch the shops and try to find a nice wand for him: someting with
+skeletons/skeleton mastery, and bonii another skill.

And you could always hope to find a nice (rare) necromancer shield, they
can also have a maximum of +3 to some of his skills.

>I have managed to acquire a decent number of gems, along with a few (6 or
>7) low level runes (can't remember the names off hand).
>
>So, given the above, I am wondering the following: Should I use the runes
>that I have now to try to build something for my skellimancer, or are they
>(gems and runes) better off saved for my melee characters?

What exactly would you like to do with these gems/runes then? In any case,
when playing, you'll find plenty of the low level runes (up to about
Ith/Eth) that you'll get quite sick of them. Same goes for runes.

You could look at some of the lower level runewords (Smoke for instance),
and try to make that. Or stick some rubies and/or sapphires in socketed
armours for +life/+mana.

Anyhow, since melee chars are a lot more difficult to play than a
necromancer, I'd try to divert my efforts towards improvind his situation:
the necromancer is quite capable of looking after himself without any
twinking going on until about Hell, and even in Hell he should do OK,
though it will be a bit slow without some of the better uniques or set
items. Also, concentrate on +skills items for the necro, he's helped
immensely by that.

There are some pretty cheap runewords which might help melee guys: Honor,
Nadir, Steel, Rhyme, Stealth and Strength for instance are worth looking
at.

If you'd been playing on Europe SC Ladder, I might have some low level
stuff for your necro, but if I recall correctly, and looking at the .ca at
the end of your address, you're probably playing on one of the US servers.
Darn. :(

Regards,

Patrick.

> I have managed to acquire a decent number of gems, along with a few (6 or
> 7) low level runes (can't remember the names off hand).

most unique nec weapons are available for 1-12 pgems, so you shouldn't have
a problem at all.
of course you need to level a bit before being able to use them.

> So, given the above, I am wondering the following: Should I use the runes
> that I have now to try to build something for my skellimancer, or are they
> (gems and runes) better off saved for my melee characters?

low-level runes...depends on how you define low-level :D
there are a nice couple of runewords for low-level runes.
e.g. for a caster or summoner you could make spirit in sword and shield
(lvl25 though)

or use those tal ral ort thul runes in armor and helmet for resists, just an
idea
stefan

"Stefan Roth" <dev@null.nix> wrote in news:1106672629.349765@nbgm66x:

>> I have managed to acquire a decent number of gems, along with a few
>> (6 or 7) low level runes (can't remember the names off hand).
>
> most unique nec weapons are available for 1-12 pgems, so you shouldn't
> have a problem at all.
> of course you need to level a bit before being able to use them.

pgems=perfect gems?? Seeing as how I gurrently have chips and flawed, I
think it will be a while. My mistake for not being accurate.

>> So, given the above, I am wondering the following: Should I use the
>> runes that I have now to try to build something for my skellimancer,
>> or are they (gems and runes) better off saved for my melee
>> characters?
>
> low-level runes...depends on how you define low-level :D

L17 Normal, none of them carried over or muled from another account.

> there are a nice couple of runewords for low-level runes.
> e.g. for a caster or summoner you could make spirit in sword and
> shield (lvl25 though)
>
> or use those tal ral ort thul runes in armor and helmet for resists,
> just an idea

That is what I am thinking of. I am just afraid that, in the waiting for a
good helmet to put it in, I end up not using them soon enough.

Also, this may be a really stupid question, but I am just now reaching the
point where my private stash is getting full. Not counting making a mule to
drop some stuff on, is the space in your private stash limited to what you
have on the screen, or are there other pages?? (I may be getting the
inventory system of DII and NWN confused and/or mixed together, BTW. I know
that NWN has a tabbed inventory of about 5 pages, but I don't remember
seeing if there was that option in DII)

--
Marcel

On 25 Jan 2005 18:18:34 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
<mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:

>Also, this may be a really stupid question, but I am just now reaching the
>point where my private stash is getting full. Not counting making a mule to
>drop some stuff on, is the space in your private stash limited to what you
>have on the screen, or are there other pages?? (I may be getting the
>inventory system of DII and NWN confused and/or mixed together, BTW. I know
>that NWN has a tabbed inventory of about 5 pages, but I don't remember
>seeing if there was that option in DII)
>
>--
>Marcel

This has probably already been answered, but in case it hasn't, no,
sadly you are limited to what's on screen. D*mn Blizzard and their
super-small stash!

ald