Novel2000

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
I'm having problems with my video display. My present setup is as follows:

Athlon XP 2000+
Asus A7V333 Motherboard
Gainward GeForce Ti4200 128MB
Nanya PC2100 512MB Ram

So, I've just put together all the components, and I turned on the computer for the first time. What happens is that the display flashes on and off and my Asus motherboard reports that there is supposedly no CPU installed!

Ignoring the error messages, I somehow set the CMOS to boot from the CD so that I can begin to install Windows 2000 (all this time, the display is still flashing). The blue Windows 2000 setup screen appears (still flashing) and the setup begins (so there would appear to be no problem with the CPU really). In the end, I give up on the installation of Windows 2000 because the flashing screen made it too hard.

Instead, I put in my old GeForce 2 MX400 PCI card which had no problems with my new system, and installed windows 2000 that way. After installation of Windows 2000, I reinstalled my new Geforce 4...the same flashing display appeared during bootup but once Windows 2000 started up, the display stabilized and i could use Windows normally.

Any ideas on what the problem is? This flashing display during bootup (and installation of Windows) is not something I can live with.

Is it a problem with my Gainward Geforce 4? Or a problem with my Asus motherboard? Or something else entirely?

Cheers,
novel2000

palle

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
is the videocard correctly installed in the agp slot,try to take it out and make sure it is in the bottom of the slot.try the videocard in another pc and you will get answers.good luck

have fun,be lucky

Novel2000

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
The saga continues:

I took my system back to the shop to let them test it and it turns out that the Gainward GF Ti4200 worked fine when any monitor EXCEPT for a Sharp LL-157(something) LCD monitor was hooked up to it.

To then check if it was a compatibility issues between Gainward and the Sharp monitor, we then tried to put in a Gainward Ti4200 64MB (as opposed to my 128MB card). The 64MB Gainward worked fine too....

So it would seem to be either a problem with my card, or some kind of compatibility problem between the 128MB Gainward and the Sharp monitor.

I'm waiting for a replacement 128MB Gainward to come in so I'll know then.

Cheers