Wierd game glitch?

motoman303

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
The strangest thing happens to me when I'm am playing any game for a long while; for some reason, somehow, the shift key gets locked down. I'm not talking physically but somehow, the computer is registering the shift key in down. It happens in any sort of game I play and it happened before and after I got a Geforce 4 Ti card so it can't be that.
Also right before this happens when I'm in a game the mouse cursor pops up, the one from the desktop I mean. It's extremely wierd.
Anyone have any clue as to what this all means?

-Dad, you just killed zombie Flanders.
-He was a zombie?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've seen some weird things too. In OpenGL games sometimes the desktop cursor pops up as you say. In Direct3D games sometimes the up and left keys don't function in menus but they work in game navigation and they work when I exit or ALT + TAB out of the game.

I not sure about the mouse cursor. I think that's video driver error.

My keyboard problems are caused by the Mouse Panel in the System Tray. If I terminate the mouse tray app before playing games then the problem goes away.

Hope this helps.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

motoman303

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
that very well could be the problem. But how do you delete the mouse icon in the system tray?

-Dad, you just killed zombie Flanders.
-He was a zombie?

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Try installing the latest drivers for your mouse. If you can't find a hotfix or driver more recent than yours I'd say just go into add/remove programs and remove all mouse drivers. I used to have Logitech Mouseware but it just made my computer run slower and took up RAM so I got rid of it and there's no loss in functionality for me.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET

Myrmecophagavir

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
Are you sure it's the icon itself that's causing the problems, or the driver? AFAIK at least Microsoft's mouse software can be told not to appear in the tray, just be running in the background. Try doing that and see if it helps.

Maybe your keyboard is actually defective, or at least not "good quality". Some can't handle a lot of keys being pressed at the same time, and so maybe a weird signal's getting sent through.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure what the problem is. I just made the suggestion for testing purposes. You need the mouse driver you don't need the mouse software. Taking the mouse software out of the System Tray accomplishes nothing if the software is still running and causing problems. My suggestion would just remove the mouse software from memory temporarily without permanently disabling it. If it fixes the problem then that is all that has to be done before the troublesome games are played.

Mouse software can be nasty in games. Did you ever try to turn on the "mouse trails"? Really adds a lot of lag in some games. Mouse wheel and extra button programming can do the same thing. With the mouse software disabled you eliminate a lot of these problems. It's worth testing.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>