Which is the best merc on his own?

Hi!
I'm building my first lurker(item find) barb in HC. This this barb will
mostly run with a second char on his side, because he won't have a
chance to kill anything in Hell, he has no point in any attack skill.
My barb will have max BO and nearly max Shout, so i can give any merc a
good life/defense rating.
Now i'm looking for a merc that can kill on his own. Whats the best merc
for this purpose? Act2 NM Offensive? Act5 barb?
Please don't tell me i should use an Act1 merc with a windforce or an
Act5 merc with a BOTD Collossal Blade, i started HC about one month ago
and i don't have any of the elite stuff.

Thanks for reading
Sascha Hoemig
11 answers Last reply
More about which merc

    Sascha Hoemig wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I'm building my first lurker(item find) barb in HC. This this barb
    > will mostly run with a second char on his side, because he won't have
    > a chance to kill anything in Hell, he has no point in any attack
    > skill. My barb will have max BO and nearly max Shout, so i can give
    > any merc a good life/defense rating.
    > Now i'm looking for a merc that can kill on his own. Whats the best
    > merc for this purpose? Act2 NM Offensive? Act5 barb?
    > Please don't tell me i should use an Act1 merc with a windforce or an
    > Act5 merc with a BOTD Collossal Blade, i started HC about one month
    > ago and i don't have any of the elite stuff.
    >
    > Thanks for reading
    > Sascha Hoemig

    To do what you propose, any merc in the game's going to require the "elite
    stuff" and plenty of it.

    You're probably talking about something like a barb merc with the Sazabi
    set, minimum, or a NM A2 merc with say, a Reaper's Toll and high level
    unique armor and hat to make what you propose work, IMO.

    --
    chainbreaker

    Well, it really depends what you are looking for. If you are making a
    GF barb, then you will probably run the Council in Trav. You could
    probably let your merc make most of the kills there. I gave mine a Hone
    Sundan and can get 100+k on a nm game. Don't forget to use Battlecry
    and Warcry which lowers defence and stuns, making it easier for your
    merc to kill.

    Not much point in raising shout too much IMO, but if that's what you
    like.

    Put one point in Concentrate and Berserk. You have already maxed out a
    synergy for each (if you max shout), so you may as well put a point
    there. With the -def from battlecry you could get some hits in.

    Even if you max FI, BO and Shout, where will the rest of your points
    go?

    "Sascha Hoemig" <sascha.hoemigNO@SPAMweb.de> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    > I'm building my first lurker(item find) barb in HC. This this barb will
    > mostly run with a second char on his side, because he won't have a
    > chance to kill anything in Hell, he has no point in any attack skill.
    > My barb will have max BO and nearly max Shout, so i can give any merc a
    > good life/defense rating.
    > Now i'm looking for a merc that can kill on his own. Whats the best merc
    > for this purpose? Act2 NM Offensive? Act5 barb?
    > Please don't tell me i should use an Act1 merc with a windforce or an
    > Act5 merc with a BOTD Collossal Blade, i started HC about one month ago
    > and i don't have any of the elite stuff.
    >
    > Thanks for reading
    > Sascha Hoemig

    I am also building a special Barb to support my Necro with Battle Order. I
    would usually use a Might merc that can be protected with a level 20 + Shout
    but I want the kind of an ultimate looter with a long BO duration so the
    killing speed is secondary. Unlike my other characters, I am planning to
    play public games with him to level up and with his "high life" I am sure he
    will live to the TPPK in Hell. I decided to choose the Defensive act 2 merc.
    If you get a high defense armor and helm with a max Shout he will be very
    hard to kill by physical damage. I mean about 10% or lower chance to be hit.
    He will also protect your Barb very well with his aura if he also use high
    defensive items. I do not see why you would not use an attack skill. You
    should have enough skill points to at least max a mastery and using a skill
    like Concentrate even if it is not max..

    Using some strategy with skills like Taunt or Howl so far I have no problem
    leveling in act 5 Nightmare. I am also not very rich with items beside some
    exceptions. So you can shop when you are a high level character for a 1000 +
    armor, a 200-300 defense helm. You only need to be patient and you can also
    shop for a high damage pike or spear weapon. Just be sure to be full of
    money because the shopping can be long. Anya in Hell act five sell 1000+
    Archon plate. Also using 2 +3 to warcry weapons on switvh, I do not see why
    you would put more than about 7 points in Find Items. The more points in it,
    the less increase in efficiency you get and you will have more points for an
    attack skill.like Concentrate. I usually put one point in Increase Speed but
    not for this special built. These 2 points will be use to increase Battle
    Command so that my BO have a longer duration when I will play my Necro so
    beside Find Items my Barb look a bit like yours.

    VD

    I kind of doubt it would work even with elite equipment, unless you use an
    Act 1 rogue. The problem is Act 2 and Act 5 mercs are melee, and they gonna
    die as soon as they get IM'd in Chaos or Worldstone. Maybe if you had a
    high BO barb with an item that gives thorns aura, and just let guys whack at
    him while the rogue nails them from a distance...but methinks it ain't gonna
    work. Esp. as this is hardcore.

    doodles wrote:
    > I kind of doubt it would work even with elite equipment, unless you
    > use an Act 1 rogue. The problem is Act 2 and Act 5 mercs are melee,
    > and they gonna die as soon as they get IM'd in Chaos or Worldstone.
    > Maybe if you had a high BO barb with an item that gives thorns aura,
    > and just let guys whack at him while the rogue nails them from a
    > distance...but methinks it ain't gonna work. Esp. as this is
    > hardcore.

    You can give an A2 merc a specialty weapon--very low physical/high elemental
    damage to get him by IM. It's a bit of a PITA, but doable, but probably
    only for very high levels and with all else very elite gear--but there are
    plenty of place with good MF'ing where you don't have to put up with IM.

    --
    chainbreaker

    I'd probably go with an Act5 barb, since they have the biggest defense
    and therefore are the most durable. But I'd also suggest not wasting
    too many points in finditem because of its diminishing returns.
    Instead, I'd suggest making a berserk/warcry barb who can stun the
    monsters while your merc kills them. (Max berserk, warcry, shout, and
    bo. One point in each of the other usual skills. Rest into howl.)
    Alternatively, you could go pure singing (warcry, howl, taunt,
    battlecry) which has the advantage of letting you build a barb with
    lots of fast cast rate, which is always helpful when horking corpses.

    Hi,

    Sascha Hoemig <sascha.hoemigNO@SPAMweb.de> wrote in news:ctiova$egd$1
    @news.uni-kl.de:

    > I'm building my first lurker(item find) barb in HC. This this barb will
    > mostly run with a second char on his side, because he won't have a
    > chance to kill anything in Hell, he has no point in any attack skill.
    > My barb will have max BO and nearly max Shout, so i can give any merc a
    > good life/defense rating.
    > Now i'm looking for a merc that can kill on his own. Whats the best
    merc
    > for this purpose? Act2 NM Offensive? Act5 barb?

    NM Act2 might merc with Reaper's Toll, upgraded Duriel's Shell and either
    you or him wearing Delirium helmet.

    Why not put some points in Conc - it already gets synergy from BO? My
    level 79 Throwbarb has 1 point in Conc and gets some good kills in Hell
    Act2 with his Kingslayer axe...

    Reaper's is level 75, so you might want a Hone Sundan or a Crescent Moon
    thresher for earlier levels.

    My Throwbarb has a HF merc with Reaper's, Gloom armor and Stealskull
    helmet and probably the merc could do Radaments lair on his own at
    /players 3.

    HTH,

    Oliver

    "phil" <google@donotcall.cjb.net> wrote in message
    > I'd probably go with an Act5 barb, since they have the biggest defense
    > and therefore are the most durable.

    The act 2 defensive merc has the biggest defense when his aura kicks in and
    the more levels he gets the better he is and he will also boost the defense
    of your character.

    > But I'd also suggest not wasting
    > too many points in finditem because of its diminishing returns.

    This is also what I think

    VD

    Virtual Den wrote:
    > "phil" <google@donotcall.cjb.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'd probably go with an Act5 barb, since they have the biggest defense
    >>and therefore are the most durable.
    >

    > The act 2 defensive merc has the biggest defense when his aura kicks in and
    > the more levels he gets the better he is and he will also boost the defense
    > of your character.
    >

    >>But I'd also suggest not wasting
    >>too many points in finditem because of its diminishing returns.
    >

    > This is also what I think
    >

    > VD

    Thanks for all the answers!!

    I'll go with the act2 defensive merc, not just because this merc seems
    to be very durable, also because this merc is rarely used on other
    chars, so i still add another aura whenever i run with a group.

    Most of you think i shouldn't waste so many points in finditem. My
    problem is, most MF items have very bad other stats (resistance,
    +skills, ...) that's why i thought i need at least 10 points in Natural
    Resistance and 10 points in Iron Skin. Adding the maxed skills (Shout,
    BO, Find Item) i already have 80+ points spent. The rest of the points
    will go into Concentrate (synergy: BO) and Berserk (synergy: Shout).

    Ok, one more little question:
    Do i have a chance to hit anything without points in any Mastery?

    Sascha Hoemig

    > Virtual Den wrote:
    > > "phil" <google@donotcall.cjb.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I'd probably go with an Act5 barb, since they have the biggest defense
    > >>and therefore are the most durable.
    > >

    > > The act 2 defensive merc has the biggest defense when his aura kicks in
    and
    > > the more levels he gets the better he is and he will also boost the
    defense
    > > of your character.
    > >

    > >>But I'd also suggest not wasting
    > >>too many points in finditem because of its diminishing returns.
    > >

    > > This is also what I think
    > >

    > > VD
    > >

    > Thanks for all the answers!!
    >
    > I'll go with the act2 defensive merc, not just because this merc seems
    > to be very durable, also because this merc is rarely used on other
    > chars, so i still add another aura whenever i run with a group.
    >
    > Most of you think i shouldn't waste so many points in finditem. My
    > problem is, most MF items have very bad other stats (resistance,
    > +skills, ...) that's why i thought i need at least 10 points in Natural
    > Resistance and 10 points in Iron Skin.

    It is better to get less mf but being able to kill. So far the idea I get
    from you is that you mostly want to be a supportive Barb with Shout, BO and
    searching the bodies that other will kill. IMO 10 points in natural
    resistance is far too much. It is not too hard to get a max resistance on a
    Barb. I think 10 points in Iron Skin would be a waste. You will have a max
    Shout and the Defiance aura. Also the more defense (shout, defiance aura)
    you have, the less effective they become. I mean if you have 10% chance to
    be hitten when both are max, to get 8% chance chance to be hit would need
    may be 10 points in Iron Skin. I made no calculation it is just to give you
    an idea. In fact it could be 1% but I doubt it would be 3%. Now we are
    talking about 10,000 + defense. I will try to find an old post I made about
    defense and chance to be hitten.

    >Adding the maxed skills (Shout,
    > BO, Find Item) i already have 80+ points spent. The rest of the points
    > will go into Concentrate (synergy: BO) and Berserk (synergy: Shout).
    >
    > Ok, one more little question:
    > Do i have a chance to hit anything without points in any Mastery?

    May be a quill rat if he does not kill you. ;oP In fact he should have a
    hard time to hit you. You would be better to put the points in a mastery
    which will be beneficial for both Berserk and Concentrate. You will have a
    hard time if you do not play in a party. I will post how my Barb is doing in
    Hell because he will have only a few points in Concentrate, 1 in Berserk. I
    decided to create this Barb after my Necro found a Banarar so I already have
    a weapon. If he can not kill anything, his purpose is to BO my Necro for
    critical missions anyway.

    I want to add that you are better to have 100 MF and kill fastly with a
    Necro than 400 MF and having a hard time to kill. I think your goal is
    playing a special Barb so as long as you BO and Shout your party, they will
    love you in HC and they will not bother if you search the bodies in their
    back as long as you do not jump on their drops and keep the BO on them.

    VD

    http://minilien.com/?Ree89NAd3n

    Here is the link I was talking about but it was in 1.09 and you will have an
    idea. May be you are better to read below . If my English is terrible now,
    It was a lot worse when I posted that. ;oP

    Here some stat from my level 77 Concentrate Barb with level 11 Shout and a
    level 77 Defiant merc:

    Chance an Enslaved will hit me

    Def= 2531 average chance an Enslaved will hit me 49%
    With level 11 Shout Def=6425 ------------------> 26%
    Without Shout and with the Defiant aura Def=7203-> 24%
    With Shout and the Defiant aura Def=11097 ------->17%

    Chance a Hell cow will hit me

    Def= 2531 average chance an Enslaved will hit me 36%
    With level 11 Shout Def=6425 ------------------> 18%
    Without Shout and with the Defiant aura Def=7203-> 16%
    With Shout and the Defiant aura Def=11097 -------->10%

    VD

Games Video Games