Is 128MB card worth it compare to 64MB?

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
i'm going to invest in a GeForce4 ti4200 for an aging p4 system. from my quick search, i noticed that a 64MB version will cost about $135 and a 128MB version will cost $165. is the $30 worth it? what is the practical advantage of 128MB over 64MB?

also, my ignorance in the subject begs the question: my motherboard only supports sdram (yikes!), would there be a problem using gfx card that has ddr memory. (the mobo can support 1x,2x/4x as well).

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can run any AGP4x card you like in that system, as long as it has an AGP slot.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

Jae

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Hi Shallowbaby

There is a good article discussing the TI4200s that delves into the 64MB or 128MB question:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1643

It basically states that the 64MB cards are faster due to higher speced RAM and components. However, for future proofing (ie Quake 3) you will need a 128MB card. To get the best of both worlds you want a 128MB that has fast RAM and that can be OCed well.

In other threads in this group there are discussions of various cards with the ASUS deluxe model and from memory the Leadtek model fulfilling those requirements.

Jae

Jae

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Hi Shallowbaby

There is a good article discussing the TI4200s that delves into the 64MB or 128MB question:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1643

The general consensus is that the 64MB cards are faster due to higher speced RAM and components. However, for future proofing (ie Quake 3) you will need a 128MB card. To get the best of both worlds a good idea is to get a 128MB card that has fast RAM and that can be OCed well.

In other threads in this group there are discussions of various cards with the ASUS deluxe model and from memory the Leadtek model fulfilling those requirements.

Jae

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
The 64MB is faster, but what about games with a lot of graphics. I would have to think the 128MB would be better.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
i've never been one to future proof anything.. i'll most likely go with 64mb and get the 128mb after everyone else had it for over a year.

thanks for all your responses btw.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure what everyone else is seeing in that review. It's only one test but look at the stock clock test for Jedi Knight 2. Despite the fact that the 128MB version has slower clock speeds it wins all the tests against the faster 64MB version. I think this is significant.

I was in the same boat as you. Three months ago I was choosing between 64MB and 128MB Radeon 8500le. I was deciding between $99 and $139. It was only a $40 difference but it was a sizable percentage difference. I finally decided that since my present display effectively limits me to 1024x768 I probably could get by with the 64MB version.

Since we are only talking about a $30 difference, 20% or so. If it were me, I would reverse my choice in this case and go for the larger memory model (but that's just me).

I also am not one for future proofing but I do believe a little insurance doesn't hurt. Call it hedging.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey, I'm getting a Ti4200 128MB and I think it's worth it cause not only in JKII, but in some other games, the extra 64MB is really seen. Plus, almost all 128MB cards have 4ns RAM, so reaching at least 500MHz on the RAM should not be a problem, and then even in games like Quake, I'm sure you'll get better performance.

:lol: Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol: