Current: Vista 64 bit. Do I want to upgrade to 7 or get full?

airjocky2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I currently run Vista Ultimate 64bit. Do I want to "upgrade" to windows 7 or get the full version and do a clean install? Which one of these options will result in the best operating conditions?

Solution
Clean install is the best way always. For one thing, Windows 7 is designed to create two partitions, one that is 100 megs and reserved for system files, stability, (less chance of crashes and goofed up files) and one for everything else. The reserved partition is hidden (no drive letter). If you upgrade you never get the reserved partition and inherit some of Vista's bugs.

superglide

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Clean install is the best way always. For one thing, Windows 7 is designed to create two partitions, one that is 100 megs and reserved for system files, stability, (less chance of crashes and goofed up files) and one for everything else. The reserved partition is hidden (no drive letter). If you upgrade you never get the reserved partition and inherit some of Vista's bugs.

Solution

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I think the partition is great and all, but i would have never known about it, it this guy didnt say it, i purchased vista business with a windows 7 upgrade to windows 7 pro(or business) it's 149.99 oem i will be happy, it'll even run xp in vvirtual mode

superglide

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
This is true and I have no idea what doing a clean install might do to your warrenty? if anything, but you can use an upgrade to do a clean install, you don't have to do an upgrade. The disk works either way. It is just easier for your average user to upgrade than to do a clean install (actually I think they are the same as far as difficulty, which is 0). My disk was useable either way, you could upgrade XP, Vista or another form of Windows 7, or you can do a reboot and clean install. It's your call. I did a clean install and I love it and how it works.

By the way, old versions of Musicmatch Jukebox (pre Yahoo screw-up) install in XP Compatibility mode and work perfectly under Windows 7. Nero also says it is incompatable (they are putting out a compatable version in October) but in reality any version or nero should install in XP C Mode and work. I installed Nero 7 (2007 version) and it works perfectly.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

Im glad you said that, I love nero and saw no reason to upgrade to 8 or 9, hopefully my other favorite program will work anyvideo converter, I'm done with zone alrm though, gonna try kaspersky for windows 7, and i will use zonealarm on the xp mode if i have to have a to because it's a virtual pc(or is it), Im downloading xp mode rc right now

superglide

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009

Says it is a Virtual PC, runs on Intel and AMD Processors that support virtualization. Opens on Windows 7 desktop in own, resizable window. Seems virtual to me. You don't really have to open it (it hibernates) and programs installed in XP Compatibility Mode open and work on Windows 7 desktop, where they are installed.

airjocky2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Great advice. One final question... I currently am running an OEM Vista 64bit Ultimate. Can I just buy the cheapest version from newegg.com < Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM > for $174 to do the clean install (I don't care if I can't transfer at a later date) or do I need the retail version sold at places like bestbuy?