Did I kill my card?

lbrenner

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
I have a M7MIA mobo (Biostar) and a GeForce 3 video card. The other day I was playing Undying and my system locked up. When I rebooted I noticed my boot-up info looked funny (characters replaced with wrong characters, some text pixels grey, others white--even in the BIOS I had this strangeness) and when I got to the XP "Welcome" screen the system would just hang up. I uninstalled my NVIDIA drivers in safe-mode and XP ran fine but I still had the rendering anomalies with my boot-up info. I tried installing various versions of the Detonators as well as various versions of the Xtasy drivers, and everytime I would get to the "Welcome" screen and just get garbage rendered to the monitor and a system hang. I completely reformatted my harddrive and as soon as I installed the NVIDIA drivers I got garbage and a system hang again.

Does this sound like my video card is fried, or is it possibly the motherboard? Those are the only 2 things I can think of that would be messed up since I'm working with a clean harddrive and fresh OS install.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Have you overclocked it?

Try reseating the graphicscard and see if it gets better.
Also...is the fan spinning on the card? might be a heat issue that scramble your output.

<font color=green>One step closer to monkey</font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake75 on 07/31/02 10:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lbrenner

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
No overclocking and I've got the fan on the board spinning s well as 2 additional fans pulling heat out of the case.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Well I don´t think it has anything to do with your detonator drivers becuase the text is "wierd" already in the BIOS screen.
Only thing I can come up with then is that you try to reseat the card in the AGP slot.

<font color=green>One step closer to monkey</font color=green>