Need Help witn new Ti4200 128mb

PSULion

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
I just purchased a Chaintech Ti4200 128mb GeForce 4. I am upgrading from a Hercules 4500 (Kyro 2) card. My current system is a P3, 512 RAM, Hercules Gamesurround sound, Win 98SE, Bostromo gamepad, Logitech wingman force feedback joystick.
I am having problems as soon as windows loads the desktop. My system freezes around the login. When I run in safe mode and switch back to VGA adapter it works fine. I may be having an problem with the old drivers still being loaded (I see some refernces to the Kyro software in my start menu).
Any ideas? I could just put the Kyro 2 back in. It's getting slow with the current and future games. I really want to get the GF4 to work because this will carry me for awhile. Should I start uninstalling other peripherals (sound?) to see or is there something in particular I need to know about this card? Thanks!

PSULion

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
Thanks, Actually it seems the problem is not the driver but the acceleraton settings. When I went to safe mode I found the acceleration setting was at the max. When I run it at the lowest 2 settings (minimal acceleration) it works but games don't think I have any 3d acceleration and won't run. If I push the acceleration past minimal my machine freezes in Windows. Any ideas what's happening? Any solutions?

Thanks

Earthdog

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Short of formatting, no, I dont have any clues what to do.
Completely remove all video adaptors under Device manager. Youll be told to restart. Do it. Let Windows find your new GPU and have the drivers handy, in the drive. Let windows do its thing finding the new hardware and drivers for it. You might have to manually point the new hardware wizard to the new drivers.

Manually delete and folders that you had the old drivers in.

In your BIOS make sure you do not have Plug And Play Operating System enabled.

Go into Control Panel and look at the Windows Setup tab and make sure you do not have the box for Plug And Play Operating System ticked. Never run Plug and Play.

If that doesnt work, all I can think of is, back your data up and Format. If that doesnt work take the card back and exchange it. or exchange it and then try again, and format.
Formatting will get rid of any traces of the old card for sure.

If its not broke dont fix it.