Vid card problems...your expertise requested.

lbrenner

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
I just put a Radeon 7000 into my brother-in-law's machine. He's got a Celery 600mhz with 64megs of ram. Now Medal of Honor locks up on him and has really crappy frame rates. I haven't installed the latest Radeon drivers yet. So here are my questions:

1.)Will the newer Radeon drivers make that huge of a difference?
2.)Is it possible that his monitor can't handle things? Sometimes it goes blank and the led just blinks like it can't support the refresh/synch rate. (When I first installed the card Windows would load, but the monitor would switch off so I had to hook my monitor up, go in and set refresh to "adapter default" and then hook his monitor back up...is the game changing refresh rates on us?)
3.)Even if he has a pretty crappy machine, shouldn't a hardware-accelerated video card help his gameplaying out some?

Thanks in advance!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Could be the power supply, what is this, an Emachine?

Crappy framerates, is this a PCI card?

Newer drivers might help, but not if the above problems exist.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, unless I'm mistaken, the Radoen 7000 is an SDR card, and the worst performer of the Radeon series. Not that DDR actually helps a PCI card anyway, if it's PCI you're screwed. I don't think the card will even play Medal of Honor.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think it's a lost cause. A Radeon 7000 with SDR SDRAM and a Celeron with only 64MB of memory. The hard disk must be thrashing constantly trying to run MOHAA. I'm not even sure the Radeon drivers can run properly with that little memory.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>