Can't get IP address for my wireless adaptor....

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 3:42:37 AM

UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the wire.

It seemed to just stop working the other day.

Any ideas?

Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.

Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.
June 20, 2004 3:42:38 AM

When I had this problem, the ISP tech had me reset both the cable
modem and the LinkSys WRT54g router. Like magic, the IP address got
assigned to the laptop.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:42:37 GMT, "Wayne Boxall"
<boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the wire.
>
>It seemed to just stop working the other day.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.
>
>Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 5:35:07 AM

"Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the wire.
>
> It seemed to just stop working the other day.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.
>
> Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.

What you're saying is very strange. You can obtain an IP address from the
router through the wired NIC, disconnect the Ethernet wire, then continue
using the obtained IP address through the wireless connection. This
shouldn't work, since the IP address actually isn't assigned to the whole
computer, it's just assigned to the NIC that requested it.

Try this: after obtaining an IP address via DHCP and before disconnecting
the wired Ethernet, issue the IPCONFIG command to see what IP addresses are
assigned to which NICs. Then disconnect the wire, wait 1 minute, and issue
another IPCONFIG command.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 5:42:57 AM

"Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:Nb4Bc.44738
$sj4.17591@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

> UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the
wire.

> It seemed to just stop working the other day.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.
>
> Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.

You may want to disable Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP and
install and configure the driver for the wireless card with Device
Manager.

I think I read somewhere WZCS on XP and ThinkPad(s) had some kind of
issue.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 6:47:46 AM

When the cable is connected then the wireless card also gets an IP address.

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> "Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> > UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the
wire.

> > It seemed to just stop working the other day.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.
> >
> > Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.
>
> What you're saying is very strange. You can obtain an IP address from the
> router through the wired NIC, disconnect the Ethernet wire, then continue
> using the obtained IP address through the wireless connection. This
> shouldn't work, since the IP address actually isn't assigned to the whole
> computer, it's just assigned to the NIC that requested it.
>
> Try this: after obtaining an IP address via DHCP and before disconnecting
> the wired Ethernet, issue the IPCONFIG command to see what IP addresses
are
> assigned to which NICs. Then disconnect the wire, wait 1 minute, and
issue
> another IPCONFIG command.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 6:49:41 AM

I have powered off both the router and cable modem.

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> When I had this problem, the ISP tech had me reset both the cable
> modem and the LinkSys WRT54g router. Like magic, the IP address got
> assigned to the laptop.
>

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:42:37 GMT, "Wayne Boxall"
> <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> >UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the wire.
> >
> >It seemed to just stop working the other day.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.
> >
> >Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 7:07:56 AM

The other weird thing is that IBM Access Connections comes up with an 304
error (authentication error).

I know this is not correct as it does connect fine when I add a cable and 2
if I disable WEP fully I get the same error.

Amazing.

And worse it was working fine with the exact same config last Monday, BUT I
started to play with bluetooth.

"Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the wire.
>
> It seemed to just stop working the other day.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.
>
> Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 7:16:37 AM

Hard coding the IP address and DNS servers also works.

So iut is just DHCP that is failing.

"Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the wire.
>
> It seemed to just stop working the other day.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.
>
> Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 7:16:38 AM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 03:16:37 GMT, Wayne Boxall wrote:

> Hard coding the IP address and DNS servers also works.
>
> So iut is just DHCP that is failing.
>
> "Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the wire.
>>
>> It seemed to just stop working the other day.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.
>>
>> Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.

This issue came up in the group ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad . There seems to be a
conflict between access connections and wireless zero config. As I recall,
the solution was to update access connections and turn off zero config.

--
Barry
Anonymous

Have done both and made no difference.

BUT it was working fine altogether.

"Barry Jones" <bjones01@acm.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 03:16:37 GMT, Wayne Boxall wrote:
>
> > Hard coding the IP address and DNS servers also works.
> >
> > So iut is just DHCP that is failing.
> >
> > "Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> >> UNLESS I have it wired to the router as well. Then I can remove the
wire.

> >> It seemed to just stop working the other day.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Running Win XP Pro, on a Thinkpad T40p. Netcomm NB5540 wireless router.
> >>
> >> Same router works fine with another Thinkpad.
> >>

> This issue came up in the group ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad . There seems to be a
> conflict between access connections and wireless zero config. As I recall,
> the solution was to update access connections and turn off zero config.
>
> --
> Barry
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 3:09:23 PM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:47:46 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Wayne Boxall"
<boxall_W@nospamyahoo.com.au> wrote:

>When the cable is connected then the wireless card also gets an IP address.

is it different to the wired one? If not, then you have something very
peculiar going on.

Do ipconfig /all both when you have a connection, and when you don't. Lets
see what precisely your config is.
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;

a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 3:09:24 PM

Yes they get different IP addresses.

"Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:47:46 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Wayne
Boxall"
> <boxall_W@nospamyahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> >When the cable is connected then the wireless card also gets an IP
address.

> is it different to the wired one? If not, then you have something very
> peculiar going on.
>
> Do ipconfig /all both when you have a connection, and when you don't. Lets
> see what precisely your config is.
> --
> Mark McIntyre
> CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
> CLC readme: <http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc...;

News==----
Newsgroups
=---

News==----
Newsgroups
=---
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2004 7:57:08 PM

They get a different IP address, but both in the same network
(e.g. 192.168.4.33 and 192.168.4.34 are different addresses but
in the same class C network).

"Wayne Boxall" <boxall_W@nospamyahoo.com.au> schreef in bericht
> Yes they get different IP addresses.
>
> "Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:47:46 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Wayne
> Boxall"
> > <boxall_W@nospamyahoo.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > >When the cable is connected then the wireless card also gets an IP
> address.
> >
> > is it different to the wired one? If not, then you have something very
> > peculiar going on.
> >
> > Do ipconfig /all both when you have a connection, and when you don't.
Lets
> > see what precisely your config is.
> > --
> > Mark McIntyre
> > CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
> > CLC readme:
<http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc...;

> News==----
> > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
> Newsgroups
> > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
Encryption
> =---

> News==----
> > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
> Newsgroups
> > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
Encryption
> =---

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 24, 2004 2:40:57 AM

SOLVED IT!

Setup fixed IP address for a while and then simply reset to DHCP. All is now
fine.

!