R8500 finally performing close to ti 4400 YES!!!!

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
The latest catalyst drivers are out and speed boosts of 20 to over 30% in some benchmarks bringing the card into ti 4400 territory. The info is from hardocp, imagine what this should do for the r9700. DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL

UoMDeacon

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Brent of HardOCP just posted some prelim results using the new drivers. Basically no improvement at all using his VIA mobo and ATi 8500.

I've been reading of a lot of problems installing the new drivers too, but mostly from people who are too lazy to properly uninstall. Seems to have some issues with SOF2 as well.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Actually there IS improvement. I haven't checked out these drivers but the beta drivers that were coming out like crazy after the first Catalyst release were giving nice OpenGL performance gains of 1-10% average.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET

UoMDeacon

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Yes, I am aware that the beta drivers were offering some very nice performance increases. But from the prelim results posted by some users, it would appear that this certified version may or may not do it.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Brent of HardOCP just posted some prelim results using the new drivers. Basically no improvement at all using his VIA mobo and ATi 8500.

I've been reading of a lot of problems installing the new drivers too, but mostly from people who are too lazy to properly uninstall. Seems to have some issues with SOF2 as well.
You'll notice that I posted there at hardforums. I'm on an overclocked P4 system with RDRAM (2.66GHz, to avoid overheating with my stock HSF) at the moment and it DOES run a lot faster in Quake 3 at 1600*1200 MAX with 16X Aniso. It even runs faster at 1024*768.

I don't have SOF2, but the demo runs perfectly. MOH:AA runs fine too with a noticable performance boost. UT runs at ~160FPS with regular textures and ~90FPS with detailed textures (this isn't a normal option, you have to edit the .ini file to enable it but it does significantly improve texture resolution). My 3DMark2001 score is still around ~10600. Star Trek Armada and Star Trek Armada 2 are no faster. Sims (The Sims+House Party+Hot Date) doesn't seem affected but it doesn't stress the graphics card. Max Payne runs everywhere from 70fps (lots of bad guys shooting on screen) to 180FPS (walking in a closed room). RTCW runs noticably faster at 1600*1200.

This is by no means an accurate assessment. I could create a Ghost image of my hard drive and try the old drivers and go back to the new ones but I don't have the time and I don't feel like wasting 20CDs at the moment. I only have one partition set up at the moment on this computer and my version of Ghost is limited to local storage. I can't save the image on another computer on my network unfortunately. It's too much of a hassle for me to wipe out the hard drive and try the two drivers side-by-side at the moment. I've been begging my parents to let me spend some my leftover money for an extra hard drive and Partition Magic. They don't like the idea. They want me to "invest" in new technology. They're telling me that they might get me a DVD burner by Christmas. I guess I'm ok with that but can Norton Ghost even burn DVD-Rs or DVD-RWs?

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I don't think he's back actually.

BTW, I'm past you!! You gotta post more man! You're a great help here.

:lol: Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol:

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Just wanted to warn everybody before they jumped onto the high performance bandwagon. I recommend paranoid measures so you don't run into any problems.

These drivers appear to work. They are even being included in the next WinXP service pack as official drivers. But you MUST uninstall any beta drivers you had previously. My guess is many people in the Hard OCP forums had beta 6118 drivers installed and expected the Catalyst 2.2's to go over them like gravy. Also you should also return your card back to its original clock speeds before any driver update. If you had drivers that were less demanding on the video card, and that allowed you to go up to 300Mhz core speed, then new drivers which are more demanding on the video card may cause system instability at the same 300Mhz core speed.

And if you have normal 2.1 drivers some people report problems with installing 2.2's over them. Uninstall all drivers first before you install new ones. Again, this appears to be bad work on ATi's part. They probably have stable drivers but their installation program doesn't account for everything that can go wrong.

Good luck and happy gaming!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I don't think he's back actually.
I've decided I won't leave entirely, lol! I'll avoid the CPU section but I'll pop in once in a while to help people in the other forums on THGC, or hype up ATI's new products/drivers. :wink: I'll be back at full force once THGC gets a moderator.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well, it's great to see you around at least a bit. Ahhhh.... I've gotta pick up your slack in the CPU section I guess. Now with a lot of people posting less and a lot of noobs around, there's so much work to do :wink: !!

:lol: Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
BTW, I'm past you!! You gotta post more man! You're a great help here.
Thanks. I've been busy with work, going on vacation soon (Up to Gen Con, I'm writing the second modual for a living 7th Seas campaign called Song of the Sea), and moderating a different forum. I'll probably post a bit more later this month when(If?) I get a bit more free time, and my cable modem stays up.

Forum Gigolo wanabe

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I've decided I won't leave entirely, lol! I'll avoid the CPU section but I'll pop in once in a while to help people in the other forums on THGC, or hype up ATI's new products/drivers. I'll be back at full force once THGC gets a moderator.
good to have you back...even if its just every now and then...
i dunno why people are having trouble installing new drivers...i mean...one is <b>supposed</b> to uninstall and old drivers before installing any new ones...
in any case...i do see an inprovement with these new drivers...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001

Thats what i mean by I doubt it, also, no benchmarks and a press release quote from ati.

ALSO, on 1600x1200 extreme quality(which isnt playable anyways) so, thats why I doubt it.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Again I believe he may have used normal settings. The performance gains may come from using high quality settings.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
From the press release, the improvements are ONLY in extreme aniso at extreme resolutions which arent playable, so the HYPE, is bs, this driver will NOT give the 8500 ti4400 performance, NOT EVEN CLOSE!

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Mat, I am in agreement with you. This hold campaign is HYPE! Soon, we will see who earns the right to fly their flag above the other...ATI/nVidia. So, when we the consumers get both produces and test them ourselves, then the marketing hype will display it's true colors. The real winner will be the one whose driver's actually work.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Mat, I am in agreement with you. This hold campaign is HYPE! Soon, we will see who earns the right to fly their flag above the other...ATI/nVidia. So, when we the consumers get both produces and test them ourselves, then the marketing hype will display it's true colors. The real winner will be the one whose driver's actually work.
Actually, the performance improvements are tangible, but there are a few problems with the Catalyst's 2D core. I've e-mailed ATI about the problem. They'll probably reply on Tuesday (they're closed on Monday, Civic holiday). Anyway, I'll get my new R8500 (second R8500, :wink: ) by next week. I'll test both Catalyst drivers for stability on both my Athlon and P4 system.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
keep bashing i run allmy game with anis at 16X and 2X qualaity 1200*1000 or 1024*800

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
keep bashing i run all my game with aniso at 16X and 2X quality 1200*1000 or 1024*800

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I have start downloading spec viewperf so we will se if that true opengl improvement or olny for few game aslo it quite huge to download 280 mb