screen turns colors and freezes

surfsup3841

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
I am running windows XP and I have a Radeon 64 M DDR vid card. My computer is frequently locking up. The screen will normally turn multicolors running horizontally along the screen. Sometimes it will just turn black however. Sometimes when it happens and I restart XP will come back with an error message saying the Radeon drivers weren't able to complete the last drawing operations or somethin along those lines. This once happened before. I remedied it by cleaning up the card. I tried so this time but no such luck. I have no idea what else to try. It has gotten so bad that if I leave the computer idle when I come back there isn't a chance in the world that it will wake up due to freezing while I am away. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Earthdog

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
This might be a little beside your major point. Still Ive got to say it. Hibernation support SUCKS. Disable it. Its a complete waste of time.

All I can say about the video card problem is that:
1. You might not have uninstalled the drivers of your old card completely (delete the folders they were in as well)
2. You could have possibly installed drivers that werent for Windows XP. That will cuase some problems including system instability.
3. Reinstall the new drivers and make sure they are digitally signed by Micrsoft for XP.
4. XP sucks. Just my opinion on that. Im sure there are people that think its the bees knees.

I personally had a lot of hardware conflicts with XP. My problems became so severe I went back to good ole Windows Millenium. I got sick of XP locking up or failing to boot because of my hardware, and the non XP drivers I had.

I am NOT interested in a program where they recommend you buy all new hardware just to run some CHEESEMO operating system. For Christs sake I just built a $2400 computer. Now I have to chuck it out and buy a new one????? MY A$$!!!!!

I tried XP twice for about 2 to 3 weeks each time. Nothing but problems. While its nice to look at its a crap OS IMO.

If all else fails, go back to windows ME or 98 SE

If its not broke dont fix it.