Help Needed: Dimension Motherboard clips

Greetings.

I replaced the motherboard in a Dimension L733R case with
a micro-ATX board. I'm used to the "old fashioned" plastic
pins for retaining the mobo, but the Dell uses what looks
like little twisted wire posts, and a big retaining spring.

The retaining spring doesn't work with the new mobo (which is
about 2 cm shorter than the original).

What do you use on those little twisty posts to hold the board
down? I'm thinking about a blob of RTV silicone, but would like a
cleaner solution.

Thanks,

--Gene
10 answers Last reply
More about help needed dimension motherboard clips

    Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and
    will
    not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
    panel connector is also unique to Dell.

    "Gene S. Berkowitz" <first.last@comcast.net> wrote in
    message

    "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and will
    > not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
    > panel connector is also unique to Dell.

    Yep. I find it remotely interesting that people will come in here to ask
    questions *after* they've already purchased a retail board or case and
    attempted the system board swap.

    But, hey, it's only money....

    Stew

    I must admit I wouldn't buy a new engine for my car and expect it to fit in
    the same hole.
    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and will
    > > not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
    > > panel connector is also unique to Dell.
    > >

    > Yep. I find it remotely interesting that people will come in here to ask
    > questions *after* they've already purchased a retail board or case and
    > attempted the system board swap.
    >
    > But, hey, it's only money....
    >

    > Stew

    Within certain limits, it is possible to replace the motherboard in many
    computers. But, just like dropping a hot engine into a street car, there is a
    sort of domino effect. First the motherboard and CPU, then probably new memory,
    and finally a new power supply when going from a Pentium 3 to either a Pentium 4
    or some species of AMD chip. Dell, with its various proprietary wrinkles, makes
    motherboard replacement extremely difficult, if not impossible... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:41:40 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Dunn"
    <markrhdunn@nospamatgmail.com> wrote:

    >I must admit I wouldn't buy a new engine for my car and expect it to fit in
    >the same hole.
    >"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and will
    >> > not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
    >> > panel connector is also unique to Dell.
    >> >

    >> Yep. I find it remotely interesting that people will come in here to ask
    >> questions *after* they've already purchased a retail board or case and
    >> attempted the system board swap.
    >>
    >> But, hey, it's only money....
    >>

    >> Stew

    You'll find this easier if you replace the case. You're going to need a
    new power supply anyway.

    Add a new heatsink-fan to the shopping list as well.

    Gene S. Berkowitz wrote:
    > Greetings.
    >
    > I replaced the motherboard in a Dimension L733R case with
    > a micro-ATX board. I'm used to the "old fashioned" plastic
    > pins for retaining the mobo, but the Dell uses what looks
    > like little twisted wire posts, and a big retaining spring.
    >
    > The retaining spring doesn't work with the new mobo (which is
    > about 2 cm shorter than the original).
    >
    > What do you use on those little twisty posts to hold the board
    > down? I'm thinking about a blob of RTV silicone, but would like a
    > cleaner solution.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --Gene

    In article <PDpHe.27$Mo.4@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, stew1960@mail.com
    says...

    > "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and will
    > > not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
    > > panel connector is also unique to Dell.
    > >

    > Yep. I find it remotely interesting that people will come in here to ask
    > questions *after* they've already purchased a retail board or case and
    > attempted the system board swap.
    >
    > But, hey, it's only money....
    >

    > Stew

    Thank you all for your concern.

    I'm perfectly aware the PS is non-standard, and swapped it out (the
    trick is to remove the power switch). The front panel connector
    is NOT non-standard, just too short. I spliced in some twisted pair
    and it fits and works perfectly.

    Of course, no one has actually addressed my question, which is what to
    do about the standoff posts...

    The new motherboard and the Dimension were both being scrapped, and the
    power supply came from my junk drawer, so the only investment was my
    time, money doesn't really figure in to this...

    --Gene

    when I swapped a mother board I used simple machine screws with a wing
    nut to tighten it and two additional nuts to tighten the screw to the
    case and the other to level the motherboard after the wingnut tightens
    it.

    I also had to replace the power supply. The new one finally fit after
    some adjustments with a hammer.

    Larry

    "larry" <larry.greenwood@minotstateu.edu> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > The new one finally fit after
    > some adjustments with a hammer.
    >

    > Larry

    Uhm. Okay.

    Stew

    Well, let's call a hammer a gentle persuasion device. I gently
    persuaded the power supply to go into place.

    Larry

    Well, I have a hammer in my computer toolbox, too. Keep it there to deal with
    the most unruly clients. "If I had a hammer..." ... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:11:36 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    >"larry" <larry.greenwood@minotstateu.edu> wrote in message
    >
    ><snip>
    >

    >> The new one finally fit after