Help Needed: Dimension Motherboard clips

Greetings.

I replaced the motherboard in a Dimension L733R case with
a micro-ATX board. I'm used to the "old fashioned" plastic
pins for retaining the mobo, but the Dell uses what looks
like little twisted wire posts, and a big retaining spring.

The retaining spring doesn't work with the new mobo (which is
about 2 cm shorter than the original).

What do you use on those little twisty posts to hold the board
down? I'm thinking about a blob of RTV silicone, but would like a
cleaner solution.

Thanks,

--Gene

Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and
will
not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
panel connector is also unique to Dell.

"Gene S. Berkowitz" <first.last@comcast.net> wrote in
message

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and will
> not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
> panel connector is also unique to Dell.

Yep. I find it remotely interesting that people will come in here to ask
questions *after* they've already purchased a retail board or case and
attempted the system board swap.

But, hey, it's only money....

Stew

I must admit I wouldn't buy a new engine for my car and expect it to fit in
the same hole.
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and will
> > not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
> > panel connector is also unique to Dell.
> >

> Yep. I find it remotely interesting that people will come in here to ask
> questions *after* they've already purchased a retail board or case and
> attempted the system board swap.
>
> But, hey, it's only money....
>

> Stew

Within certain limits, it is possible to replace the motherboard in many
computers. But, just like dropping a hot engine into a street car, there is a
sort of domino effect. First the motherboard and CPU, then probably new memory,
and finally a new power supply when going from a Pentium 3 to either a Pentium 4
or some species of AMD chip. Dell, with its various proprietary wrinkles, makes
motherboard replacement extremely difficult, if not impossible... Ben Myers

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:41:40 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Dunn"
<markrhdunn@nospamatgmail.com> wrote:

>I must admit I wouldn't buy a new engine for my car and expect it to fit in
>the same hole.
>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and will
>> > not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
>> > panel connector is also unique to Dell.
>> >

>> Yep. I find it remotely interesting that people will come in here to ask
>> questions *after* they've already purchased a retail board or case and
>> attempted the system board swap.
>>
>> But, hey, it's only money....
>>

>> Stew

You'll find this easier if you replace the case. You're going to need a
new power supply anyway.

Add a new heatsink-fan to the shopping list as well.

Gene S. Berkowitz wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I replaced the motherboard in a Dimension L733R case with
> a micro-ATX board. I'm used to the "old fashioned" plastic
> pins for retaining the mobo, but the Dell uses what looks
> like little twisted wire posts, and a big retaining spring.
>
> The retaining spring doesn't work with the new mobo (which is
> about 2 cm shorter than the original).
>
> What do you use on those little twisty posts to hold the board
> down? I'm thinking about a blob of RTV silicone, but would like a
> cleaner solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Gene

In article <PDpHe.27$Mo.4@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, stew1960@mail.com
says...

> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Are you aware that the Dell power supply is non standard and will
> > not work without an adapter with the new mobo? The front
> > panel connector is also unique to Dell.
> >

> Yep. I find it remotely interesting that people will come in here to ask
> questions *after* they've already purchased a retail board or case and
> attempted the system board swap.
>
> But, hey, it's only money....
>

> Stew

Thank you all for your concern.

I'm perfectly aware the PS is non-standard, and swapped it out (the
trick is to remove the power switch). The front panel connector
is NOT non-standard, just too short. I spliced in some twisted pair
and it fits and works perfectly.

Of course, no one has actually addressed my question, which is what to
do about the standoff posts...

The new motherboard and the Dimension were both being scrapped, and the
power supply came from my junk drawer, so the only investment was my
time, money doesn't really figure in to this...

--Gene

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

when I swapped a mother board I used simple machine screws with a wing
nut to tighten it and two additional nuts to tighten the screw to the
case and the other to level the motherboard after the wingnut tightens
it.

I also had to replace the power supply. The new one finally fit after
some adjustments with a hammer.

Larry

"larry" <larry.greenwood@minotstateu.edu> wrote in message

<snip>

> The new one finally fit after
> some adjustments with a hammer.
>

> Larry

Uhm. Okay.

Stew

Well, I have a hammer in my computer toolbox, too. Keep it there to deal with
the most unruly clients. "If I had a hammer..." ... Ben Myers