Can't connect question

Hi,
I'm at wits end. I got a new notebook and am trying to connect to the
internet. I have an existing network of 3 computers wired to a Linksys
BEFW11S4 router and 1 machine linked wireless. On the new laptop the
wireless network connection status icon says i'm connected, speed is 11.0
Mbps and signal strength is excellent. Under activity there are packets
sent but 0 recieved. I get " The page cannot be displayed" warning when i
open Internet explorer. I've had a couple of instances when I connected but
only for a minute or two. I've tried everything and don't know how to
proceed. I'm running Windows XP Pro and the laptop is a Gateway 505x.
Thanks, Tony

"Tony Marcus" <(nospam)tmarcus@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm at wits end. I got a new notebook and am trying to connect to the
> internet. I have an existing network of 3 computers wired to a Linksys
> BEFW11S4 router and 1 machine linked wireless. On the new laptop the
> wireless network connection status icon says i'm connected, speed is 11.0
> Mbps and signal strength is excellent. Under activity there are packets
> sent but 0 recieved. I get " The page cannot be displayed" warning when
> open Internet explorer. I've had a couple of instances when I connected
but
> only for a minute or two. I've tried everything and don't know how to
> proceed. I'm running Windows XP Pro and the laptop is a Gateway 505x.
> Thanks, Tony

Tony,

How did you know when you were connected for a minute or two? Did you get
requested web pages? It sounds to me like your laptop is not associating
with the router. When XP says you're connected, does it show you the SSID
of the network that you've connected to? Are you using WEP? Are you using
MAC address filtering?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Tony Marcus" <(nospam)tmarcus@optonline.net> wrote in

> Hi,
> I'm at wits end. I got a new notebook and am trying to connect to the
> internet. I have an existing network of 3 computers wired to a
> Linksys BEFW11S4 router and 1 machine linked wireless. On the new
> laptop the wireless network connection status icon says i'm connected,
> speed is 11.0 Mbps and signal strength is excellent. Under activity
> there are packets sent but 0 recieved. I get " The page cannot be
> displayed" warning when i open Internet explorer. I've had a couple
> of instances when I connected but only for a minute or two. I've
> tried everything and don't know how to proceed. I'm running Windows
> XP Pro and the laptop is a Gateway 505x. Thanks, Tony

Is the machine getting a router IP?

The notorious Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP could be giving
you some problems, possibly.

Are you using WEP and are the keys matched between the router and the
card?

Can the machine connect to the Internet with a wired connection?

Duane :)

"Tony Marcus" <(nospam)tmarcus@optonline.net> wrote in news:D86Bc.28583
$V57.6998766@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

> Yes i'm getting the requested pages. I'm not using WEP and I can see
the
> SSID of the network. As for MAC address filtering, I don't know where
> look for that. And it can connect via wire. Thanks for the reply, Tony

IMHO, I think it's the Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP that is
giving you problems. I know WZCS drove me up the wall as it dropped the
connection seeking out other networks in the area trying to connect to
them.

You may want to look at WZCS more closely. For me, I disabled WZCS,
downloaded the card's driver and installed and configured the card using
the Device Manager.

I also stop using the card's utility to do anything as far as
configuration or signal strength. It never seemed to hold properly, after
I did the config several times.

The card's utility program is not even installed. You can select *Show
network Connection* at the NIC's Property Box and it will place the
Connection Icon in the job tray and you can mouse over the icon to get
the connection speed and signal strength.

After I did the things above, the connection became as solid as a rock
and I have not had any problems from that point. :)

HTH

Duane :)