Anyone read the article on Trident XP4??

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
Anyone read the article on theTrident XP4 at Anandtech??
Trident claims its sub100$ card will offer 80% of a Ti4600 performance...outperforming an 8500...????

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, it's supposed to compete vs. the Ti4400. Seems kinda weird... I didn't really get into it much, just kinda skimmed it, and looks pretty promising... Although it probably won't perform that well, probably more like ~Ti4200 levels.

<i>Pass mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
even if it only performs like a Ti4400...at a 99$ price...and that price is even before launch...THAT'A VERY IMPRESSIVE...i mean...they're outperforming the 8500...

lol...!!! how interesting....imagine by the time DOOM comes out we'll all be racing to get a Trident X5 or X6...!!!!

eden

Champion
The card sounds pretty promising, and Trident's confidence seems more credible than Matrox's one on Parhelia. I doubt Parhelia even had expected performance percentages.
In any case there isn't much info so far on the XP4, but the results of how they will do it, seem pretty logically working, however the lack of info removes any hype we might have, surrounding AA, Aniso, and other things. However the companies have got to learn, use Xbar memory controller interfaces, enhance bandwidth, use Occlusion Culling, don't just rub the bandwidth to such heights with nothing to use it efficiently!
In any case, for such price, IF the performance overall is 80% of the Ti4600, I think it will be a very nice comeback from Trident, and a very nice seller. Perfect OEM card as well, that would save the poor MX and TNT2-to-be-owned Dells from being sold!

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Looks exciting. I especially like the part about lower power consumption and passive cooling.

We'll have to wait and see some solid benchmark scores first, and any hardware compatibility issues that pop up though I doubt there will be any.

The last thing is driver support (last but definitely not the least). People need to know that this previously nameless, wheat bread brand Trident will update drivers frequently and won't have serious incompatibility/rendering issues.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET