Chaos Empire - First Reaction and Questions, Please?

Ok, I put a bit of time into Chaos Empire. Very little, I admit, but
enough to have some concerns/questions that I'm pretty sure somebody
here can help with! :)

In no particular order:

(1) What's up with the poisons selling right off the bat for 16,500 gold
pieces?

(2) Where, oh where, does one buy portals and identify scrolls??? Never
a problem in the regular game, I can see now that this could be a
potential major problem for me.

(3) What in the heck are you supposed to do with the Kinder thingies you
get. Every seventh one what? Crack 'em? No way I can find unless you
put them in the cube. Identify them? Well, maybe if #2 above wasn't a
problem and it was difficult to even FIND enough identify items to keep
up with.

(4) What's the function now of the former basic chest where you kept
your stuff but, now, apparently can't? It yielded up some goodies the
first time. Are we supposed to hang around with all our stuff on us all
the time?

(5) What's with the egg crates/egg shells or whatever they are?

(6) Ah, and the little potions? Take one and watch your
mana/life...er...see your mana/life....er. What?

I'm sure there will be more, but in the first little taste of Den of
Evil, I can see that it's surprisingly easy to get killed, you can
always toss away 16,500 worth of Retirement Home Gas or whatever is in
those little vials, and it looks as if the warrior I'm playing has at
least a chance of making it a little longer.

Jury's out. It's fine, I'm sure, and I suppose the difference can be,
well, interesting. Right now it's more of a put-off for me. That, I'm
sure, is my own fault, and info will help.

Thanks for understanding,

Swami
20 answers Last reply
More about chaos empire reaction questions please

    On 15-Feb-2005, SwamiRiver <dearme@so.xyz> wrote:

    > (1) What's up with the poisons selling right off the bat for 16,500 gold
    > pieces?

    As the author says - potions do more damage than before, and sell very well.
    :)
    Be sure to sell to Gheed, Charsi and Akara have limits on how much they will
    pay out for a single item. This goes for other acts also, always sell to
    the person you can gamble with.

    > (2) Where, oh where, does one buy portals and identify scrolls??? Never
    > a problem in the regular game, I can see now that this could be a
    > potential major problem for me.

    Nowhere, they are no longer for sale. Yes, it is a royal PITA in the
    beginning, don't bother with blues, or even most yellows unless it is an
    item that you think you may want. Later in the game, after you rescue Cain,
    you can wait for him to id stuff, although it does cost 100 each money is
    not a problem as you will see.

    > (3) What in the heck are you supposed to do with the Kinder thingies you
    > get. Every seventh one what? Crack 'em? No way I can find unless you
    > put them in the cube. Identify them? Well, maybe if #2 above wasn't a
    > problem and it was difficult to even FIND enough identify items to keep
    > up with.

    If they don't transmute when you put them individually into your cube, try
    having six in your inventory and the seventh in the cube, then hit transmute
    and it should change into something (usually nice). Then, when you find any
    others, put them into the cube and transmute as you go.

    > (4) What's the function now of the former basic chest where you kept
    > your stuff but, now, apparently can't? It yielded up some goodies the
    > first time. Are we supposed to hang around with all our stuff on us all
    > the time?

    That is not your stash, it is just a regular chest that has free stuff in it
    for you every time you start the game. Your stash is in the graveyard -
    there is a shortcut to the graveyard down in the bottom corner where you
    appear at the start of a game. The stash is no longer in town - any town -
    but it is HUGE now so you should be not too mad that you have to walk a
    little farther to get to it.

    > (5) What's with the egg crates/egg shells or whatever they are?

    See answer to # 3 above - also - if/when you find half an egg, hang onto it,
    first, you can combine an upper and lower half to make a whole, second, two
    uppers transmute into one lower (and vice/versa).

    > (6) Ah, and the little potions? Take one and watch your
    > mana/life...er...see your mana/life....er. What?

    I'm not sure which potion you are talking about here - there are several.
    There is something called 'elixir' that has no effect whatsoever except it
    sells for 375 gold, most other potions should have 'some' effect, but some
    may be of more value if you sell them - the 'valuable elixir' is worth
    almost 500 million gold - yes, million. There is also a 'mysterious scroll'
    that does nothing, these are things the author either turned off or hasn't
    turned on yet.

    > I'm sure there will be more, but in the first little taste of Den of
    > Evil, I can see that it's surprisingly easy to get killed, you can
    > always toss away 16,500 worth of Retirement Home Gas or whatever is in
    > those little vials, and it looks as if the warrior I'm playing has at
    > least a chance of making it a little longer.

    Heh, the starting/default/minimum setting is /players 13, with /players 20
    the max, so, yes, it is just a *little* tougher. :)

    > Jury's out. It's fine, I'm sure, and I suppose the difference can be,
    > well, interesting. Right now it's more of a put-off for me. That, I'm
    > sure, is my own fault, and info will help.
    >
    > Thanks for understanding,

    No problem.

    > Swami

    If you have any more questions, post 'em - I or someone else (Diane or Ald?)
    will be glad to answer what we can.
    You may want to research the several threads that have been posted on this
    mod in the last month or so, and also read the readme, it has some nice new
    cube recipes and other info you may/should be interested in.
    --
    Don't Panic!

    "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname> wrote in

> [...]
    >> in those little vials, and it looks as if the warrior I'm playing has
    >> at least a chance of making it a little longer.
    >
    > Heh, the starting/default/minimum setting is /players 13, with
    > /players 20 the max, so, yes, it is just a *little* tougher. :)
    >
    >> Jury's out. It's fine, I'm sure, and I suppose the difference can be,
    >> well, interesting. Right now it's more of a put-off for me. That, I'm
    >> sure, is my own fault, and info will help.
    >>
    >> Thanks for understanding,
    >
    > No problem.
    >
    >> Swami
    >
    > If you have any more questions, post 'em - I or someone else (Diane or
    > Ald?) will be glad to answer what we can.
    > You may want to research the several threads that have been posted on
    > this mod in the last month or so, and also read the readme, it has
    > some nice new cube recipes and other info you may/should be interested

    Wow! Thanks so much for the help!!! I'll putter around and see what I
    can discover using this info. And, as per your kindness, I'll pop back
    in with questions as they come up. I've Googled to read all I can read
    on the mod in this group (and on the web) and my goal is not to stumble
    off into dumb questions that have been asked a zillion times. I'll fail,
    but, hey, it's a goal.

    Swami

    "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname> wrote in

    > There is something called 'elixir' that has no effect whatsoever
    > except it sells for 375 gold

    Incorrect. The elixer adds xp. Get all that you can and right click on
    them. It helps.

    Diane

    SwamiRiver <dearme@so.xyz> wrote in news:Xns95FEB0BAD3D24theSwami@
    151.164.30.44:

    > my goal is not to stumble
    > off into dumb questions that have been asked a zillion times.

    There are no dumb questions. I, personally, don't care if they've been
    asked and answered. If you need to know about something, feel free to ask
    away and we'll gladly help out.

    Diane

    <snip>

    > I'm not sure which potion you are talking about here - there are several.
    > There is something called 'elixir' that has no effect whatsoever except it
    > sells for 375 gold, most other potions should have 'some' effect, but some
    > may be of more value if you sell them - the 'valuable elixir' is worth
    > almost 500 million gold - yes, million. There is also a 'mysterious scroll'
    > that does nothing, these are things the author either turned off or hasn't
    > turned on yet.
    >
    > <more snip>
    The "elixir will actually add points to your experience. try looking at
    you exp points and clicking on one. Its not much of a jump, but still a
    jump.

    Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> wrote in

    > "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname> wrote in
    >
    >> There is something called 'elixir' that has no effect whatsoever
    >> except it sells for 375 gold
    >
    > Incorrect. The elixer adds xp. Get all that you can and right click on
    > them. It helps.
    >
    > Diane

    So, here's an important thing for me -- I understand that 1.10 is not
    friendly to warrior/barbarian/melee types as opposed to magic users. Does
    the design of Chaos Empire seek to address the weaknesses in melee
    fighters?

    Swami

    Ok., I think as much as I wanted to really like Chaos Empire, I may have
    hit a wall. Quickly.

    First, I fought my way through and did Blood Raven with little trouble,
    amazingly. Then, it was time to go to the Stony Field. Of course, for
    whatever reason the waystations completely leave out the first traditional
    area, whose name escapes me right now. So, you have to go through all
    kinds of grief to get to the Stony Field.

    Then, there are those little snotballs that come up, hit you once or
    twice, and you're dead. Dead. Really dead. As in all my money dropped. I
    had NO way to get back there since my money was gone and I couldn't buy
    anything at the encampment, so I had to basically cntrol-alt-delete and
    start over again.

    Went throug the trapdoor to the Burial Ground, took two steps into the
    Stony Field and, again, those little snot globules did me in.

    So, I'm faced with doing another hike with no money to get killed again
    immediately or, more to the point, to remove the game and say,
    "Forgettaboughtit."

    I'm opting for the latter.

    Swami

    > Ok., I think as much as I wanted to really like Chaos Empire, I may
    > have hit a wall. Quickly.
    >
    > First, I fought my way through and did Blood Raven with little
    > trouble, amazingly. Then, it was time to go to the Stony Field. Of
    > course, for whatever reason the waystations completely leave out the
    > first traditional area, whose name escapes me right now. So, you have
    > to go through all kinds of grief to get to the Stony Field.
    >
    > Then, there are those little snotballs that come up, hit you once or
    > twice, and you're dead. Dead. Really dead. As in all my money dropped.
    > I had NO way to get back there since my money was gone and I couldn't
    > buy anything at the encampment, so I had to basically
    > cntrol-alt-delete and start over again.
    >
    > Went throug the trapdoor to the Burial Ground, took two steps into the
    > Stony Field and, again, those little snot globules did me in.
    >
    > So, I'm faced with doing another hike with no money to get killed
    > again immediately or, more to the point, to remove the game and say,
    > "Forgettaboughtit."
    >
    > I'm opting for the latter.
    >

    > Swami

    Oh Swami, don't give up so easily. ROFLOL. Really, it's doable.
    Wearing the items given to you when you broke the rock in your cube at
    the beginning of the game should really help you out a lot. As for
    those Horky Spawns, you need Fire Protection Potion to get through them.
    If I were you, I'd let the Stony Field wait until you're leveled up a
    bit. I didn't get through them until I was about clvl15 or so and I
    used the Fire Protection Potion, and also it helped that I'm doing a
    necro and I had my skellies active. But ald is doing a barb, I think,
    and got through Stony Field without too much fire damage. But, for what
    it's worth, I actually left Stony Field and Cain to do after I got
    through the Blood Moore, Black Marsh, and the Underground Passage. And,
    also, in Rogue, if you go into the stone house between Gheeds and Charsi
    and click on the bookcase, frequently you'll get either a tome of portal
    or a tome of ID. Then you can save all the ID and TP scrolls that you
    find along the way.

    Diane

    > SwamiRiver <dearme@so.xyz> wrote in
    >
    >> Ok., I think as much as I wanted to really like Chaos Empire, I may
    >> have hit a wall. Quickly.
    >>
    >> First, I fought my way through and did Blood Raven with little
    >> trouble, amazingly. Then, it was time to go to the Stony Field. Of
    >> course, for whatever reason the waystations completely leave out the
    >> first traditional area, whose name escapes me right now. So, you have
    >> to go through all kinds of grief to get to the Stony Field.
    >>
    >> Then, there are those little snotballs that come up, hit you once or
    >> twice, and you're dead. Dead. Really dead. As in all my money
    >> dropped. I had NO way to get back there since my money was gone and I
    >> couldn't buy anything at the encampment, so I had to basically
    >> cntrol-alt-delete and start over again.
    >>
    >> Went throug the trapdoor to the Burial Ground, took two steps into
    >> the Stony Field and, again, those little snot globules did me in.
    >>
    >> So, I'm faced with doing another hike with no money to get killed
    >> again immediately or, more to the point, to remove the game and say,
    >> "Forgettaboughtit."
    >>
    >> I'm opting for the latter.
    >>

    >> Swami
    >
    > Oh Swami, don't give up so easily. ROFLOL. Really, it's doable.
    > Wearing the items given to you when you broke the rock in your cube at
    > the beginning of the game should really help you out a lot. As for
    > those Horky Spawns, you need Fire Protection Potion to get through
    > them. If I were you, I'd let the Stony Field wait until you're
    > leveled up a bit. I didn't get through them until I was about clvl15
    > or so and I used the Fire Protection Potion, and also it helped that
    > I'm doing a necro and I had my skellies active. But ald is doing a
    > barb, I think, and got through Stony Field without too much fire
    > damage. But, for what it's worth, I actually left Stony Field and
    > Cain to do after I got through the Blood Moore, Black Marsh, and the
    > Underground Passage. And, also, in Rogue, if you go into the stone
    > house between Gheeds and Charsi and click on the bookcase, frequently
    > you'll get either a tome of portal or a tome of ID. Then you can save
    > all the ID and TP scrolls that you find along the way.
    >
    > Diane

    I was blowing off steam! :) I managed to get to Tristram and free Cain
    and kill the bad guy - until I got swarmed and, well, ground to a rather
    fine powder usually reserved for drip style coffee makers.

    Sure enough, I decided I'd try the rest of it again later when I got a
    bit more heft. So, I went back to Stony Field to get the contessa/tower
    quest. Lo and behold, there was a welcoming band of no less than 8 of
    those Horky Spawns. I beat a retreat back through the way station and
    signed off for the night. Your suggestion about the Fire Protection
    Potion is well taken. I'll either need that or some barbeque sauce.

    I'll let ya know!

    Swami

    SwamiRiver <dearme@so.xyz> wrote in news:Xns95FF3BD5DD7theSwami@
    151.164.30.48:

    > I was blowing off steam! :) I managed to get to Tristram and free
    Cain
    > and kill the bad guy - until I got swarmed and, well, ground to a
    rather
    > fine powder usually reserved for drip style coffee makers.

    Ewwwww, that musta been interesting.

    > Sure enough, I decided I'd try the rest of it again later when I got a
    > bit more heft. So, I went back to Stony Field to get the
    contessa/tower
    > quest. Lo and behold, there was a welcoming band of no less than 8 of
    > those Horky Spawns. I beat a retreat back through the way station and
    > signed off for the night. Your suggestion about the Fire Protection
    > Potion is well taken. I'll either need that or some barbeque sauce.
    >
    > I'll let ya know!
    >
    > Swami

    Although barbeque sauce sounds rather appetizing to this food addict, I
    think you'd prefer the Fire Protection Potion. Just load up your belt
    and keep chugging it down. Before you know it, those buggers will be
    gone and so will their humble abodes for which you also get the pleasure
    of destroying.

    Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Diane

    On 16-Feb-2005, sidekick <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > The "elixir will actually add points to your experience. try looking at
    > you exp points and clicking on one. Its not much of a jump, but still a
    > jump.

    Dayum, I'm going drinking tonight, lol.
    --
    Don't Panic!

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:26:02 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >But ald is doing a barb, I think,
    >and got through Stony Field without too much fire damage.

    >Diane

    No, he isn't, he's doing a Druid. Almost all of my Barbs end up as gem
    mules ;-)

    ald