AR/resists problem with Ranger pally

Hi,

well, my SP Ranger pally is level 53 now and going strong in NM Act2.
I have installed the runeword patch for SP mode, so I have the 23 new
runewords available and also the ladder-only words like Duress.

Major skills so far are HF 10, HS 20, Resist Light 7 and some pre-reqs.

Duress armor, crafted gloves and Goreriders give about 36% Crushing blow
and 2K defense.

Current ranged weapons are Witchwild String, Demon Machine and a Rare bow
with ctc Amp Damage, +AR based on char level, 200% damage against Demons.

At the moment I use a rare circlet with +x% to AR based on char level,
giving about 53% more AR.

The bows look like this: with similar damage 140-2500 (Holy Shock)

AR Resists
Rare 3112 45/43/41/36
DM 2730 "
WWS 1731 75all

So it looks like I should get a Blessed Aim merc, but where do I hire him?
From Normal, he'll be like level 10 and would require some heavy power-
levelling.
From Hell, he'd only get level 15 BA (instead of 18 on the normal guy) and
I would have to rush my Pally to Hell Act2 (or just wait until then).

How do you get decent resists in Hell on a pally? I can't really use the
auras, as most of the time HS/HF will be active. How much res for ranged
attacks?

Regards,

Oliver

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:55:57 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> well, my SP Ranger pally is level 53 now and going strong in NM Act2.
> I have installed the runeword patch for SP mode, so I have the 23 new
> runewords available and also the ladder-only words like Duress.

Cool, where do you get that patch from? Is your installation
still compatible with closed BNet?

> Major skills so far are HF 10, HS 20, Resist Light 7 and some pre-reqs.
>
> Duress armor, crafted gloves and Goreriders give about 36% Crushing blow
> and 2K defense.
>
> Current ranged weapons are Witchwild String, Demon Machine and a Rare bow
> with ctc Amp Damage, +AR based on char level, 200% damage against Demons.
>
> At the moment I use a rare circlet with +x% to AR based on char level,
> giving about 53% more AR.

Theoretically one could use the Infinity polearm on the merc and
make the game very easy for your ranger. But those runes are
Ber+Mal+Ber+Ist so that would basically imply some kind of
cheating/duping to get them in SP. The Faith bow would
be a similarly difficult to obtain but pleasant option.

In terms of more realistic gear, don't overlook the large
AR bonuses from Ravenfrost rings (both dex + AR) and the
non-sword parts of the Angelic set.

In article <cv2eqd$3es$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:

[snip]

>Major skills so far are HF 10, HS 20, Resist Light 7 and some pre-reqs.
>
>Duress armor, crafted gloves and Goreriders give about 36% Crushing blow
>and 2K defense.

36%? This should be a bit more. Keep in mind, though, CB on ranged weapons
does not remove 1/8th, but something like 1/16th of the 'Crushed'
monster...

[snip]

>So it looks like I should get a Blessed Aim merc, but where do I hire him?
>From Normal, he'll be like level 10 and would require some heavy power-
>levelling.
>From Hell, he'd only get level 15 BA (instead of 18 on the normal guy) and
>I would have to rush my Pally to Hell Act2 (or just wait until then).

You answered your question yourself: if you really need/want the Blessed
Aim Merc, get one from Normal, and level him up. Try to use a Demon Limb
(or an Enchant sorc of yours) to Enchant him, so he can 1-hit kill most
monsters. Levelling will still be quite boring, I think.

Or try to get more AR from other places.

>How do you get decent resists in Hell on a pally? I can't really use the
>auras, as most of the time HS/HF will be active. How much res for ranged
>attacks?

As much as you can, because a Ranger Pally does not do much damage (he has
not much in the way of ranged damage enhancing skills). You're not using
Fantaticism BTW, since that provides more AR and damage, I think?

Kira's Guardian is a helmet (cirlet-type helmet actually) which might give
you enough res-all, to be able to swap out some other res-oriented stuff?

Most pally's get their resists from their shields, but as a Ranger, you
don't have that option. A Wizardspike also isn't an option (+75 res all),
so that leaves a Kira's Guardian. I know of no other items which provide
that big a resist boost. And socket all your armour with Ums.

Regards,

Patrick.

Hi,

Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in

> In article <cv2eqd$3es$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:

>>Duress armor, crafted gloves and Goreriders give about 36% Crushing
>>blow and 2K defense.
>
> 36%? This should be a bit more. Keep in mind, though, CB on ranged
> weapons does not remove 1/8th, but something like 1/16th of the
> 'Crushed' monster...

that is w/o the weapons. I mostly try to kill normal monsters with my
ranged weapons and then go for the boss/es with my melee switch. Kingslayer
axe/sword would bring CB up to 70%. When I find a good 3os sword, I'll do a
Lawbringer with 20% ctc level 15 Decrep!

>>So it looks like I should get a Blessed Aim merc, but where do I hire
>>him? From Normal, he'll be like level 10 and would require some heavy
>>power- levelling.
>>From Hell, he'd only get level 15 BA (instead of 18 on the normal guy)
>>and I would have to rush my Pally to Hell Act2 (or just wait until
>>then).
>
> You answered your question yourself: if you really need/want the
> Blessed Aim Merc, get one from Normal, and level him up. Try to use a
> Demon Limb (or an Enchant sorc of yours) to Enchant him, so he can
> 1-hit kill most monsters. Levelling will still be quite boring, I
> think.

Demon Limb is level 63. Does a -15% jewel also lower the level requirement?
As I rushed my pally through normal, I think I still have to pick up 1 or 2
skill points from there.

> As much as you can, because a Ranger Pally does not do much damage (he
> has not much in the way of ranged damage enhancing skills). You're not
> using Fantaticism BTW, since that provides more AR and damage, I
> think?
>
> Kira's Guardian is a helmet (cirlet-type helmet actually) which might
> give you enough res-all, to be able to swap out some other
> res-oriented stuff?

I have ruled out Fana for this build, as it only increases physical damage
and the AR increase is quite small. 135% AR at level 20 isn't all that
much.
I should be doing 4k-5K lightning damage when the skills are maxxed.

Thanks to remind me of the Kira's. It's even better as it has Cannot be
Frozen on it as well. Too bad it is level 77.

Thanks,

Oliver

Hi,

Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:55:57 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

>> well, my SP Ranger pally is level 53 now and going strong in NM Act2.
>> I have installed the runeword patch for SP mode, so I have the 23 new
>> runewords available and also the ladder-only words like Duress.
>
> Cool, where do you get that patch from? Is your installation
> still compatible with closed BNet?

you can switch back easily, as there is only one file involved. I only play
SP, so I can't say much more about online play. But when you switch back to
original, items with the new runewords will go poof..

You can get the patch here:

http://chaosempire.net/patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip
Backup your savegame and your ORIGINAL file named Patch_D2.MPQ.
Extract altered file from CE into your LOD dir.

Regards,

Oliver

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:56:19 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:55:57 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>
>>> well, my SP Ranger pally is level 53 now and going strong in NM Act2.
>>> I have installed the runeword patch for SP mode, so I have the 23 new
>>> runewords available and also the ladder-only words like Duress.
>>
>> Cool, where do you get that patch from? Is your installation
>> still compatible with closed BNet?
>
> you can switch back easily, as there is only one file involved. I only play
> SP, so I can't say much more about online play. But when you switch back to
> original, items with the new runewords will go poof..
>
> You can get the patch here:
>
> http://chaosempire.net/patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip
> Backup your savegame and your ORIGINAL file named Patch_D2.MPQ.
> Extract altered file from CE into your LOD dir.

Yeah, I actually did know about Chaos Empire, but it sounded
like so many things are modded that it is a very different game.
I'd like to find a patch that just adds the missing runewords for SP
and nothing else that affects difficulty, build strength, etc.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:02:39 +0100, Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de>
wrote:

>> Demon Limb is level 63. Does a -15% jewel also lower the level requirement?
No

--

USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:56:19 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>> You can get the patch here:
>>
>> http://chaosempire.net/patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip
>> Backup your savegame and your ORIGINAL file named Patch_D2.MPQ.
>> Extract altered file from CE into your LOD dir.
>
> Yeah, I actually did know about Chaos Empire, but it sounded
> like so many things are modded that it is a very different game.
> I'd like to find a patch that just adds the missing runewords for SP
> and nothing else that affects difficulty, build strength, etc.

this patch has nothing to do with the CE mod discussed heavily in other
threads here. It only does the following:

Features:
- 23 Realm LadderOnly Runewords added for SP-Players
- 4 Realm Runewords added for SP-Players
variable Stats are implemented as know, rounded a little bit.
- Fixes a problem in german and spanish version of LOD 1.10 with items
giving an aura.

I've played with this patch for some time now and haven't seen a
difference to original Diablo and had no problems with it.

Regards,

Oliver

In article <cv2m7v$2fl$01$1@news.t-online.com>,
Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>
>> In article <cv2eqd$3es$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
>> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>> 36%? This should be a bit more. Keep in mind, though, CB on ranged
>> weapons does not remove 1/8th, but something like 1/16th of the
>> 'Crushed' monster...
>
>that is w/o the weapons. I mostly try to kill normal monsters with my
>ranged weapons and then go for the boss/es with my melee switch. Kingslayer
>axe/sword would bring CB up to 70%. When I find a good 3os sword, I'll do a
>Lawbringer with 20% ctc level 15 Decrep!

Well, Guillaume's Face adds another, err, 35% I think. But that conflicts
with the tip I gave below (Kira's Guardian). But Guillaume's Face is one
of the nicest Merc helmets available, at least, if this merc is intended
to help kill bosses.

>> You answered your question yourself: if you really need/want the
>> Blessed Aim Merc, get one from Normal, and level him up. Try to use a
>> Demon Limb (or an Enchant sorc of yours) to Enchant him, so he can
>> 1-hit kill most monsters. Levelling will still be quite boring, I
>> think.
>
>Demon Limb is level 63. Does a -15% jewel also lower the level requirement?
>As I rushed my pally through normal, I think I still have to pick up 1 or 2
>skill points from there.

Well, I also saw in another post of yours you also have an Enchantress,
and since you play SP, you can start two instances of Diablo 2, and use
your Enchantress to enchant him: that's a lot better than Demon Limb.

>> As much as you can, because a Ranger Pally does not do much damage (he
>> has not much in the way of ranged damage enhancing skills). You're not
>> using Fantaticism BTW, since that provides more AR and damage, I
>> think?
>>
>> Kira's Guardian is a helmet (cirlet-type helmet actually) which might
>> give you enough res-all, to be able to swap out some other
>> res-oriented stuff?
>
>I have ruled out Fana for this build, as it only increases physical damage
>and the AR increase is quite small. 135% AR at level 20 isn't all that
>much.
>I should be doing 4k-5K lightning damage when the skills are maxxed.
>
>Thanks to remind me of the Kira's. It's even better as it has Cannot be
>Frozen on it as well. Too bad it is level 77.

And if you're going crazy on the resists, don't forget about Guardian
Angel, the paladin specific armour which adds +15% to all max resists, but
also increases block, adds a +1 paladin skills, and some other stuff. My
Hammerdin is wearing this, together with a Wizardspike (+75 all res) and a
PDiamonded HoZ (another ~50+ all-res?), and even when under the influence
of conviction he has near max resists. And in all other cases, elemental
attacks hardly scratch him. Very durable.

Regards,

Patrick.